PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! CL9 Replaced starter motor and still doesn't work?

jordiiisme
15-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Hey guys, this morning i got into my car and it wouldn't start. The battery is new so that wasn't the problem. I had to leave for school so my dad called NRMA to come check the problem. They came to a conclusion that there was a problem with the starter and it'll have to be replaced. Now, my dad told me that he was quoted from Honda that a new starter will cost over $1000. I don't know much about car parts etc so i would just like to know whether this is close to reasonable price? If you guys could give me any other suggestions that would be good too, thanks!

Asho
15-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Oh Hell no thats a rip,

i had the same problem 4 months ago,

i got an OEX Starter motor for about $328 i believe it was,

i installed it myself but as far as labor costs it might be a little,
its a hard prick to get to.

i can get you the model number for the oex part when i get back from work

jordiiisme
15-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Oh Hell no thats a rip,

i had the same problem 4 months ago,

i got an OEX Starter motor for about $328 i believe it was,

i installed it myself but as far as labor costs it might be a little,
its a hard prick to get to.

i can get you the model number for the oex part when i get back from work

Yeah, i was researching just now on the internet on how much it costs to replace the starter and i didn't come across a price of over $1000. If you could please give me details of the OEX starter motor that would be great.

Also, does anyone know whether this starter motor will work?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Honda-Accord-Euro-Odyssey-2-4L-03-07-Starter-Motor-/260730939826?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb4c669b2

Thanks in advance.

tony1234
15-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah, i was researching just now on the internet on how much it costs to replace the starter and i didn't come across a price of over $1000. If you could please give me details of the OEX starter motor that would be great.

Also, does anyone know whether this starter motor will work?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Honda-Accord-Euro-Odyssey-2-4L-03-07-Starter-Motor-/260730939826?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb4c669b2

Thanks in advance.

Looks like it does.Call/email the seller to confirmAlso check out an auto electrician and see if there is an exchange unit available.

jordiiisme
15-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Yeah, the only problem i see is in the description. It reads, "Honda Accord Euro Auto engine F24A3 2.4L 03-07;" However the accord euro engine is K24A3 i believe? I've contacted him and asked him whether it was just a typo or not. I shall check an auto electrician too, thanks for the suggestion.

tony1234
16-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Yeah, the only problem i see is in the description. It reads, "Honda Accord Euro Auto engine F24A3 2.4L 03-07;" However the accord euro engine is K24A3 i believe? I've contacted him and asked him whether it was just a typo or not. I shall check an auto electrician too, thanks for the suggestion.

I'd say it's a typo but check to be sure.

jordiiisme
16-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Yeah, i have asked him and he said

"My explanations all come from local big company's book. But if you want me make 100% sure, please tell me the number on your starter. Thanks!"

My starter has been taken out and it reads
Honda RAA
SM-61209 43
Mitsuba 12V-1.6
Japan

Here is a picture of the starter motor

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/9903/img1215n.th.jpg (http://img703.imageshack.us/i/img1215n.jpg/)

I'm guessing the SM-61209 is the model number as it matches with the sellers description?

"Brand New Starter Motor Mitsuba OEM No. SM612-09"

Also, does it matter what starter motor i get? Is there like different brands or something or do they all work just as well? If so, is there any recommendations to which one i should go for or should i just get the ebay one?
Thanks in advanced.

Kodak
16-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Confirm that the ebay is an OEM starter manufactured by Mitsuba. It appears to be missing any stickers which may mean that it is an aftermarket. If it is an OEM go for it.

jordiiisme
16-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Confirm that the ebay is an OEM starter manufactured by Mitsuba. It appears to be missing any stickers which may mean that it is an aftermarket. If it is an OEM go for it.

Oh alright cool, would there be any problem if it was aftermarket though?
Can anyone recommend any places around Sydney where i could find a starter motor for the accord euro? (2004 model)

Asho
16-03-2011, 10:10 PM
sorry for late reply but the OEX Model is MXS366

hope that helps

tony1234
17-03-2011, 06:46 AM
Oh alright cool, would there be any problem if it was aftermarket though?
Can anyone recommend any places around Sydney where i could find a starter motor for the accord euro? (2004 model)

Aftermarket is usually not a problem.Depends on brand.Anyway $1000 for a starter motor installed is a joke.

jordiiisme
21-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Hey guys. i bought the starter off and it arrived today, I had to go to school so my dad went to the mechanic (where my car was at) to get him to replace it. I'm quite frustrated at the moment because the mechanic said that the starter motor isn't very good and now when i try to start the car it makes a terrible noise (see video below). Not only that, when we drove the car home and turned it off, my dad and i tried to start it again and it doesn't even start anymore. I was just wondering if anyone know whether it would be the new starter motors problem or the mechanic is just plain bad? Should i try to get an exchange or a refund for the starter motor from the eBay seller?

This shows the noise when it could start
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJZ_gcsEouI

This shows how it doesn't even start anymore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=232V94rRgrQ

Thanks in advance.

Kodak
21-03-2011, 05:20 PM
It sounds like the starter is having trouble engaging properly, you can definitely hear it spin at the end.
Check all the cable connections to the starter and make sure they are done up tight. I am not sure if the CL9 has a starter relay, but may be worth looking into that too. Did you keep your old starter (just in case that wasn't the problem to start with).

jordiiisme
21-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Yeah, i still have my old starter. Im not sure how to check the cable etc :/ The problem at the moment is the car doesnt start anymore so we have to figure out whether to get nrma to tow it to a mechanic to check the motor? Or whether to tow it straight to Honda and get 100% guarantee fixed but it is just expensive and overpriced that's all.
Also, the problem is if we get the car towed and checked at a mechanic and it is actually the starter motors problem then we have to get it towed back? =/
Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks again.

Kodak
21-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Get an auto electrician to come over and have a look at it.

buddah51au
21-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Stay away from Honda, an auto elec is your best option & I would have had them check your original starter before you did anything

jordiiisme
21-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Will do, thanks for the advice guys!

shmivic
22-03-2011, 08:47 AM
That starter is Furked. Struggles to throw out the gear.

Have it removed again and take them both to either Deering Autronics, Delta Autospark and then you will have 2 options.

1: Core exchange - ditch the two shit ones for a new unit with small $ balance.

2: Have to Auto workshop rebuild it.

Ps: Dont buy 2nd hand car parts off Ebay.

jordiiisme
23-03-2011, 06:08 AM
It was brand new though :/, but yea im getting it refunded and looking into those two options. Thanks for the help.

Kodak
23-03-2011, 02:52 PM
It was brand new though :/, but yea im getting it refunded and looking into those two options. Thanks for the help.

Keep us updated ;-)

jordiiisme
23-03-2011, 03:56 PM
No worries. We recently got someone to check the car to confirm it was the starter motor that was the problem. We got the starter motor taken out so that i could get it refunded from the seller on eBay. The guy who checked the car for us is also helping us order a new starter motor and he said it should come by tomorrow or Friday. So, hopefully all goes well and that one works!

PS: We also gave the old starter motor to the guy to see if he could get it fixed but it turned out that it couldn't be fixed and that's why we are ordering another one.