PDA

View Full Version : To ship my car interstate or to sell and buy a new one ?

dogtooth
15-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Hi All,

I am relocating from Melb to Perth soon and would have to ship my beloved Honda Civic VTi over from here to Perth.

I am considering few options:

1) Ship it there - how much ? Anyone can recommend a good vehicle transporter ?
2) Sell my baby away and buy another when I up there.
3) Drive up there ?!! myself ??

Are used car prices higher up in WA /Perth than Vic/Melbourne ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dogtooth

grifty
15-03-2011, 07:56 PM
just drive it there, shipping would probably be around the 1.5k mark

im not sure what car you have but lets say its got a 65L tank. From Melbourne to Perth is about 3400kms. lets say you get 700kms from a tank so that means you have to refuel 5 times

5x65L @ $1.60/L = $520

probably allow another $500 for hotel and food etc

you still saved $500 and driving it would be fun aswell almost like a short holiday :P

integragsi96
15-03-2011, 07:57 PM
well heres a bit of a comparison
i moved from newcastle to the sunshine coast.
to get it shipped from depot to depot it was gonna cost me $400
to get it shipped from door to door it was gonna cost $700
to drive it it only costed me 1 and a half tanks.

dogtooth
15-03-2011, 09:32 PM
hi Grifty,

Thanks for the information. However, I am not sure if it will be safe for me to drive throughout the sparsely populated area with a car load of my own stuffs. Obviously, I won't be driving an empty car...might as well save abit on courier and drive some of my own stuffs in the car up to Perth. The car will be parked at Motel/ Inns overnight and I am concern about the safety of both my belongings and my car.

Do you reckon it'll be safe to drive still ?

Integragsi96,
May I know which company you use to ship your car ? If it is $400, I would not hesitate to use this service instead of driving over myself. However, from Newcastle to Sunshine coast is probably not much of a distance compared to Melbourne - Perth.

CHeers
Dogtooth

DuffyFD
15-03-2011, 11:09 PM
btw 50L tank - and yeah I'd road trip it if i were you. :)

Make a memory of it

grifty
15-03-2011, 11:20 PM
depot to depot will be cheaper but i think its gonna cost like 1k

i know someone who got a car shipped door to door from adelaide to sydney for $800

Danzvtil
16-03-2011, 07:53 PM
hi Grifty,

Thanks for the information. However, I am not sure if it will be safe for me to drive throughout the sparsely populated area with a car load of my own stuffs. Obviously, I won't be driving an empty car...might as well save abit on courier and drive some of my own stuffs in the car up to Perth. The car will be parked at Motel/ Inns overnight and I am concern about the safety of both my belongings and my car.

Do you reckon it'll be safe to drive still ?

Integragsi96,
May I know which company you use to ship your car ? If it is $400, I would not hesitate to use this service instead of driving over myself. However, from Newcastle to Sunshine coast is probably not much of a distance compared to Melbourne - Perth.

CHeers
Dogtooth

Mate, I stay in Ceduna SA every few months, make sure you stay in a motel with a lockup carpark, the drive will be an experience.Allow $150/night for Accom and food. Some remote motels can be expensive.

DuffyFD
17-03-2011, 09:13 AM
for $500 i will drive your car there :)

jasonchow
18-03-2011, 03:37 PM
just get a car dealer to do it, i think should be able to do it under 1000, sell n buy will waste you more $ only on stamp duty

dogtooth
18-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Driving alone wouldn't be fun. if you have mates with you in the car then it will be awesome.

I am still researching to see if there are any freight companies that can do it for a couple of hundred dollars.

Cheers
dogtooth

MWAKU
18-03-2011, 07:59 PM
**** that just get the trucks to take it, thats why they are there

vtecing
18-03-2011, 08:07 PM
I had my car trucked from darwin to sunshine coast. Cost 1k and took 5 days. I used a company that used to be called tnt, cant remember who they called now. Would not recomend them tho.

dogtooth
21-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Hi guys,

What about sending the car over by rail ? Anyone had any experience or recommendations ?

Cheers
Dogtooth

chichichibo
22-03-2011, 01:34 AM
i would suggest shipping your own car to Perth unless you have plenty of time driving from east to west...it's not smart to take your holiday just for sending your car to WA, unless you got a lot of accumulated annual leave....i would use those holiday for other purpose else......
and when considering getting an interstate vehicle into WA:
1) you have to go through all those steps in registering your car in WA, such as vehicle examination UNLESS you own your car for more than 12 months.
2) vehicle here in WA is more expensive than in Eastern States ( as i wanted to buy an interstate vehicle from NSW/VIC previously too)
3) Moreover, you may also make some profit by getting your car to WA, and sell it here :D
coz sometimes, for the same quality vehicle, you can always sell at a higher price here in WA.....for instance, Honda Civic Sport, with the same odometer, year, model, etc, the 2nd hand market price here is higher than that of the eastern states.
anyway, considering the re-sell value of your car, i think, you can simply ship your car over to WA, but not to sell yours and buy another one here in WA. and bear in mind that there are lots of bad quality car in the 2nd market now due to the floods, and these vehicle will spread through the whole australia.

chichichibo
22-03-2011, 01:38 AM
and i have checked before, shipping from melbourne to perth cost about $1500, door to door....
some are cheaper, charging around $800.....depends if there is any insurance covered, and depends on the type of transport, coz there are covered truck, and non covered truck. It is better to get your car shipped covered as those stone chips all the way from east to west might damage your car (if you love your car).

dogtooth
28-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Chichichibo,

Can you give me a few names so that I can get a quote ? Thanks

I will probably get the Depo to Depo option to save a few bucks.

Dogtooth

grifty
28-05-2011, 05:44 PM
You can try giving Ceva transport a call.

chichichibo
29-05-2011, 02:20 AM
Chichichibo,

Can you give me a few names so that I can get a quote ? Thanks

I will probably get the Depo to Depo option to save a few bucks.

Dogtooth

i have pm you already. :)

chichichibo
29-05-2011, 02:20 AM
You can try giving Ceva transport a call.

yeah, Ceva is one of the companys that i have considered before too. :)

dingdong
02-06-2011, 01:58 PM
It's worth keeping the car rather than selling it and replacing it. I've driven from Sydney to Perth. It's a long boring drive but perfectly safe. However i'd recommend shipping it. Another option is to put it on the Indian Pacific.

Registration and insurance are much cheaper in WA. There's no annual pink slip and CTP is included in the rego. When you change the numberplate, the car has to go for an inspection but it's no big deal for a late model car. Driving around with an interstate reg, others will give you extra leeway (...not flick the bird so readily). And you'll soon learn that WA drivers don't know how to merge on freeways.

Poeter
03-06-2011, 10:14 AM
I bought my car from QLD and drove it back.

I can't really agree it is perfectly safe, especially at night when you are driving 110kmh on a undivided single lane roads. At the same time you will have crazy semi-trailer drivers up your rear-end. There are many semi-trailers from both directions.

I started driving from Brisbane at 2:30pm and arrive back in Sydney at 12:30am. According the news, 2 big accidents occur in the night. One incident almost involving death and other not so fortunate. Thank goodnesss I'm not involved or caught behind those incidents.

And another point is to beware of speed cameras. Especially when the speed limit changes from 110 to 80 and then down to 50 every now and then.

So just bear in mind the risk you're taking when driving interstate. It's up to you whether you're game enough to do the drive.

dingdong
03-06-2011, 10:33 AM
For country trips (esp in isolated areas), i only drive during the day where possible. The cops pulled me over in WA for speeding - luckily no ticket, they asked me to slow down because kangaroos were about (they like to come out around dusk ...roos, not cops).

I also found truck drivers to be quite courteous. They flick their indicator when it's safe to overtake them.

Petrol is horrendously expensive in unpopulated areas. I remember taking a photo on the nullarbor of petrol at $1.34/L in 2005 ...it was around $1.10/L in the city at the time. I would hate to guess how much it is now.