PDA

View Full Version : So I wrecked my EJ8.

KeNji-EJ8
15-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Hey, OzHonda

As the title suggests I've recently gotten into an accident with my Civic.

Long story short I was on a highway and I somehow started to fishtail then ended up on the curb narrowly dodging a lamp post.

I need some advice on how what to do with my car. I've thought of the following options:

1. Part the car out.
2. Sell the car as a whole for parts privately.
3. Repair the whole thing.

Please give some advice on what to do with my car I'm totally new to these type of things so if I do part out the car how would I go about it? Like, do i have to pay for the towing for the car to be wrecked after I've parted it out and if i repair it do you think its worth it?

Thanks guys any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here are some pictures of my car:

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/801/20110207114135.jpg

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/328/20110207114124.jpg

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6579/20110207114107.jpg

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/246/20110302181928.jpg

From the little knowledge i have of cars i have identified a few of the problems:

- Left and Right LCA's are bent and subframe brace looks a bit bent

- Passenger side guard, side skirt and door dented.

Thanks a lot guys!

SuperJDM.
15-03-2011, 09:33 PM
from what i can see honestly it doesn't look like its worth repairing man. Best is to sell the car as a whole get rid of it and how much your left with add onto that and get a new car.
Its probably not a safe thing to do if you decide to fix it all up as the car wasn't safe from the start "Long story short I was on a highway and I somehow started to fishtail then ended up on the curb narrowly dodging a lamp post."

And im pretty sure you have to pay for the car to be toed i mean who else would pay for it? Unless you get a private buyer to buy as a whole then you could probably work something out with them.

Might be wrong but oh well this is what i my opinion

grifty
15-03-2011, 09:43 PM
how much kms on it? its seems like an easy fix, should be able to fix it during the weekend, get some mates over to help you out.

get a new guard and while you have the damaged guard off you can fix the small dent in the door.

rear trailing arms is like $80-$100 each side, front LHS suspension assembly for like $200-$250 (hub, strut, control arm, drive shaft), guard for $50-$100 and 2 tyres for $100

since when arent civics safe?

maybe he was going over the limit or maybe he just had crap tyres

KeNji-EJ8
15-03-2011, 09:44 PM
@ SuperJDM

How much do you reckon i could get for it? Theres a genuine OEM EK9 grill on it and i have a OEM Si spoiler too. Should i go about selling it?

SuperJDM.
15-03-2011, 09:52 PM
i honestly dont know man, when i post that 1st post i only saw the first picture now that you posted up the others the damage doesn't seem to heavy.

Wait and see what other ozhonda members suggest

KeNji-EJ8
15-03-2011, 09:55 PM
how much kms on it? its seems like an easy fix, should be able to fix it during the weekend, get some mates over to help you out.

get a new guard and while you have the damaged guard off you can fix the small dent in the door.

rear trailing arms is like $80-$100 each side, front LHS suspension assembly for like $200-$250 (hub, strut, control arm, drive shaft), guard for $50-$100 and 2 tyres for $100

since when arent civics safe?

maybe he was going over the limit or maybe he just had crap tyres

Do you know a good place in NSW to get parts? Is it simply a socket wrench and jack, job? The car has 147,xxx km's on it, engine and chassis

grifty
15-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Do you know a good place in NSW to get parts? Is it simply a socket wrench and jack, job? The car has 147,xxx km's on it, engine and chassis

it seems like its worth repairing with the low kms its got.

honda all car spares in yenorra, their prices are really good and u can always bargain abit.

as long as you got a decent socket set with a breaker bar then you should be good.

remeber to use jack stands.

KeNji-EJ8
15-03-2011, 10:04 PM
it seems like its worth repairing with the low kms its got.

honda all car spares in yenorra, their prices are really good and u can always bargain abit.

as long as you got a decent socket set with a breaker bar then you should be good.

remeber to use jack stands.

Thanks a lot man you've helped me alot! Im scared that the steering linkage might be bent though.

Euro08Jaz
15-03-2011, 10:07 PM
I'd figure out why it started randomly fish tailing before I do anything

KeNji-EJ8
15-03-2011, 10:12 PM
I'd figure out why it started randomly fish tailing before I do anything

It was raining 3 hours before i started driving and the road was still a bit wet.

Troy
15-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Add into the cost figures and extra few hundred for a good driver training course. :) Not having a go at ya, but serious, it's so beneficial for everyone aye!

98vtir
16-03-2011, 09:21 PM
I would seriously consider consulting a Panel Beater. It may seem like simple panel damage but beyond that, you may come across problems such as a kinked chassis. If this has occurred, things can get really expensive and your car will never be "Straight" ever again.

If you choose to part out the car yourself, be prepared to have bits and pieces of your car sitting in your garage for quite some time.

or

If you choose to sell it to the wreckers, be prepared for the offer they make you.

Just my $0.02

grifty
16-03-2011, 09:25 PM
i highly doubt the chassis has sustained any damage at all. the damage to the guard was most likely caused buy the rim/tyre pushing against it.

Mikecivic78
16-03-2011, 10:03 PM
if you are parting out I want your tail lights. PM me if you decide to part out.

madapo
17-03-2011, 07:37 AM
get a quote from a panel beater. and minus that from the amount the car sells usually. thats how much you will have in your pocket. it wouldn't really be worth wrecking the car and selling the parts. leave that as a last resort. it looks repairable. but if its going to cost maybe a bit too much then up to you. but if you fix it you might even keep the car.

Symphorced
17-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Go to a few panel beaters. Ask them what needs fixed, ask for a quote and then go from there.

A few pictures isn't going to help anyone here (no matter how qualified) give any advice to you.

quangsuke
17-03-2011, 02:47 PM
well i figured u fish tailed on the highway because u got a pretty nasty puncture on the wall of the tyre. my guess.
towing the car would be quite cheap after u part it out (few scrap metal places will come tow the car for free)

i would honestly say to fix it, seem quite fixable.
new passenger fender
new lca
new rear bumper
new wheel
wheel alignment (all 4)

but do get this inspected though.

Lukey
17-03-2011, 06:50 PM
insurance?

KeNji-EJ8
17-03-2011, 10:03 PM
well i figured u fish tailed on the highway because u got a pretty nasty puncture on the wall of the tyre. my guess.
towing the car would be quite cheap after u part it out (few scrap metal places will come tow the car for free)

i would honestly say to fix it, seem quite fixable.
new passenger fender
new lca
new rear bumper
new wheel
wheel alignment (all 4)

but do get this inspected though.

Is it possible to do the wheel alignment at home? I think my sway bars might need to be replaced too.

Symphorced
17-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Is it possible to do the wheel alignment at home? I think my sway bars might need to be replaced too.

Please take the car to someone who knows what they're doing.