PDA

View Full Version : Washing my car is no longer a chore

WarrenM
16-03-2011, 10:38 AM
I've always hated washing my cars. I think that what I hated most was having to do the whole job once I started. And it always annoyed me that a day or two later the car looked dirty again.

When I picked up my 2nd-hand euro, which has x-pack paint protection, I was told to use a waterless car wash every few weeks using microfibre cloths. I'd never used a waterless car wash before.

So I picked a spray bottle of the stuff and a bunch of cheap microfibre cloths the next day. Of course, even though the car was barely out of the dealership, it was already showing dirt on the silver duco, so I tried it on the bonnet and boot where it was most obvious (probably invisible to everyone except me). Wow it was easy! Tried it on the wheels. Easy. Put the cleaning materials back in the boot. Next morning there was a bird dropping on the roof. Out came the cloth and carwash, spray, wipe, done. Cleaned that side of the roof. Stuff back in the boot. Took maybe a minute.

Now I clean bits of the car as it takes my fancy, or I notice a section which looks dirtier than the rest.

Once in a while it is still going to get a full wash by either me or a professional car wash, but in the meantime, each day I get into an almost showroom clean car (at least on the outside) which feels really good.

furythree
16-03-2011, 11:59 AM
so waterless carwash? wat is it? magic powder?

WarrenM
16-03-2011, 01:49 PM
so waterless carwash? wat is it? magic powder?

It's a spray-on liquid which cleans off streak-free and does not require rinsing. There are many different manufacturers now, including Maguires. You can search on the web. I purchased Polyglaze Waterless Carwash, which cost around $12 at Supercheap Auto. There is also a Polyglaze Waterless Wash and Wax, which is not suitable for my car due to the paint protection.

furythree
16-03-2011, 02:39 PM
how many uses can u get for $12?

can u use it without paint protection?

i havent washed my car for 3 months haha
have cakes of dirt on the boot (which due to poor design, does not allow water to flow away)

SuperJDM.
16-03-2011, 02:43 PM
i remember using one of these made my car smell like strawberry, i still dont trust it have a feeling it scratches paint

WarrenM
16-03-2011, 02:50 PM
i remember using one of these made my car smell like strawberry, i still dont trust it have a feeling it scratches paint

No strawberry smell on mine. If my car was filthy (dirt roads etc) I would definitely wet wash it.

natnat
16-03-2011, 03:59 PM
i'm also skeptical about waterless wash methods... especially on Honda's soft paint.

to use it to clean dust sounds reasonable.

anything dirtier than dust, i prefer using pressure washer spray / water hose.

tony1234
16-03-2011, 04:11 PM
i'm also skeptical about waterless wash methods... especially on Honda's soft paint.

to use it to clean dust sounds reasonable.

anything dirtier than dust, i prefer using pressure washer spray / water hose.

Agreed.You'd have to wet wash your car every time after it's driven in the rain.

white_ep3_civic
16-03-2011, 07:56 PM
I wouldn't trust this stuff at all. For the extra 15misns it takes to wash a car I like to have that feeling that the paint hasn't been damaged.

buddah51au
16-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Using a waterless paint wash on a soft paint is looking for swirl marks & fine scratches big time. If you have a light colour you may not notice the damage until it is time for a professional detail.

BraXta
17-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Waterless wash = Spray and wipe =P heheh

89superstage
18-03-2011, 01:28 PM
I believe a waterless wash, is best suited for small clean ups in between washes, not to repace the wash itself. As Buddha said, you're etching the dirt into the paint!!

anzai
18-03-2011, 02:24 PM
and NEVER use those brush foam thingy you find at most car wash joints

its like made of steel wires or something scratches the **** out of your paint.

only use the high pressure hose, bring your own sponge or mitt, and always wipe it off clean with a chamois! =)=)=)

tron07
21-03-2011, 06:18 AM
swirlmarks galore....

Xplodin
22-03-2011, 10:13 AM
The thing with honda paint is that its soft and not so durable. The clear coat on top is soft and to those guys who have a black car i bet you can put a thumb print when you press on it when in hot weather. I'd suggest taking your car to a professional car detailer to get done and make sure they use a strong sealant as this should keep your car beading for a long time. This also means that your car will be much much easier to clean as well... Hope that helps!

Oh if your in Melbourne Check out Final Inspection. The guy's name is Damian, Top bloke and my car always turns out a treat when he works on it. Check out my car on his forum.

Here (http://forums.finalinspection.com.au/showthread.php?t=6294)