PDA

View Full Version : Best tyres for CU2 Luxury 18" rims

WarrenM
16-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Has anyone experimented with different tyres on their CU2 Luxury 18" rims? Is the Michelin the best option or is there something else out there which is significantly better? Are the Michelins best at their recommended air pressure?

Regards
Warren

furythree
16-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Has anyone experimented with different tyres on their CU2 Luxury 18" rims? Is the Michelin the best option or is there something else out there which is significantly better? Are the Michelins best at their recommended air pressure?

Regards
Warren

i get tyre spin when launching from standstill on a slope in the wet. but only if u rev hard on first gear of course. but happens way too often for my liking
and makes u look bad when ur trying to drag with a gti
could be problem with the traction control more than the tyres

other than that tyres are awesome.

natnat
16-03-2011, 01:05 PM
the michelin primacy is designed for performance comfort touring purposes.

you gotta work out what you want out of the tyres first, then you can choose what's the best option for you.

if more grip / traction is what you want, be prepared for quicker wear and more noise. eg: michelin pilot sport 2, conti sports contact 3, or even semi slick.

but the options for 235 45 18 in minimum legal 98 load rating are limited!

you can check here for reviews:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

you can check here for options available for that size, and the prices in USA, or perhaps even import a set:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?filtering=true&width=235/&ratio=45&diameter=18

i run 36psi front and rear on the CU2.

CU2 vs GTI, there's now way you can win it unless you put turbo / supercharger in the CU2 and strip 200kgs+ of weight.

it's 6.9 vs 9.8 seconds on paper.

i have both cars so my bump-o-meter is very reliable in this case.

The stock mk6 gti is on its full torque from 1700rpm and yet stock CU2 you gotta rev it above 5500rpm to get decent push, below that it's hopeless.

wheel spin on a wet slope, it's a problem for all FWD.

furythree
16-03-2011, 02:42 PM
good to know its a fwd related issue then

lol i was being satirical about the gti

Fredoops
16-03-2011, 04:49 PM
There's like 15+ threads on tyres in the euro section alone. do a search and revive old threads, wealth of info in those threads that would help you