PDA

View Full Version : Header,clutch and gear box??

noypi
16-03-2011, 07:59 PM
guys im planning to make my car a lil bit faster and run better.also i dont know alot about cars so bare with me please.
i have a b16a2 eg and i have catback and exhaust and the rest are stock.

header
i dont know if i should get a branded header or just get a customize one.what should i get a 4-1 or 4-2-1? please explain yourself.

clutch
whats a good heavy duty clutch?

gear box
also looking for a good gear box?i heard type r gear box are good.

please explain yourself about what you suggested.any otther suggestion to make my car faster would be good.im trying to keep my car n/a so yeah.thnx

dougie_504
16-03-2011, 09:00 PM
guys im planning to make my car a lil bit faster and run better.also i dont know alot about cars so bare with me please.
i have a b16a2 eg and i have catback and exhaust and the rest are stock.

header
i dont know if i should get a branded header or just get a customize one.what should i get a 4-1 or 4-2-1? please explain yourself.

clutch
whats a good heavy duty clutch?

gear box
also looking for a good gear box?i heard type r gear box are good.

please explain yourself about what you suggested.any otther suggestion to make my car faster would be good.im trying to keep my car n/a so yeah.thnx

Header go 4-2-1 for daily use as it is better for mid-range power. 4-1 is better for high-end power (not ideal in daily traffic) and has less clearance to the ground. So I highly recommend 4-2-1, 2" outlet would be fine. For headers I prefer branded because the quality/size of the runners is importance. For a B-series 5Zigen, Fujitsubo, XForce are good mid-price options ($300-500). If you have cash to splash then try to find Toda, Mugen, J's Racing etc.

Clutch probably doesn't need to be upgraded at this point, but Exedy is generally the benchmark for a HD upgrade for heavier feel under the foot. But your OEM clutch should handle the extra power from basic mods no problem.

GBox, the Integra Type R box is great because it has shorter gear-ratios. That means you will accelerate faster but to a lower speed (before you have to shift up) but also when you shift up the revs will be higher in the next gear as with your current box, so you can keep your revs high and therefore stay within your optimal power-band.
However the B16A boxes aren't bad and unless you have a spare $1500 + $300-500 install lying around I wouldn't bother at this stage.

Have you done a cold air intake? A CAI setup is cheap ($200-400 depending on brand etc) and IMHO there isn't a huge difference in quality/performance between big and small brands. It sounds great having a pod filter, which has a larger total surface area than your standard square air filter, so it allows the car to breath more air. Some people report a mild loss of low-end responsiveness but the general opinion is that the car tends to 'rev up' more freely. And the sound rocks.

What kind of money are you looking to invest?

noypi
17-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Header go 4-2-1 for daily use as it is better for mid-range power. 4-1 is better for high-end power (not ideal in daily traffic) and has less clearance to the ground. So I highly recommend 4-2-1, 2" outlet would be fine. For headers I prefer branded because the quality/size of the runners is importance. For a B-series 5Zigen, Fujitsubo, XForce are good mid-price options ($300-500). If you have cash to splash then try to find Toda, Mugen, J's Racing etc.

Clutch probably doesn't need to be upgraded at this point, but Exedy is generally the benchmark for a HD upgrade for heavier feel under the foot. But your OEM clutch should handle the extra power from basic mods no problem.

GBox, the Integra Type R box is great because it has shorter gear-ratios. That means you will accelerate faster but to a lower speed (before you have to shift up) but also when you shift up the revs will be higher in the next gear as with your current box, so you can keep your revs high and therefore stay within your optimal power-band.
However the B16A boxes aren't bad and unless you have a spare $1500 + $300-500 install lying around I wouldn't bother at this stage.

Have you done a cold air intake? A CAI setup is cheap ($200-400 depending on brand etc) and IMHO there isn't a huge difference in quality/performance between big and small brands. It sounds great having a pod filter, which has a larger total surface area than your standard square air filter, so it allows the car to breath more air. Some people report a mild loss of low-end responsiveness but the general opinion is that the car tends to 'rev up' more freely. And the sound rocks.

What kind of money are you looking to invest?

Well i am planning to save money up to do up my car.but i dont want to buy something if i dont really need it.as you said i dont need HD clutch so i guess i prob wont buy one yet.i guess ill just buy header and a cold intake first.
any other little things that can make my car a little bit more faster?because these are the only things that i know that can make different lol.

hitoriko
17-03-2011, 08:18 AM
If your going to do your clutch as Dougie said get a Exedy HD but also get a lightened flywheel (around $350 for a TODA one from US) this will up your acceleration as there will be less flywheel mass (weight) to spin.
As mentioned above dont go 4-1 headers if you can avoid it - i have those on my CRX and its very low, my car will more than likely only see minimal road use but more on the track. 4-2-1 are the go for street IMO

Also a dyno tune, this should be done after you CAI, Extractors(Headers) also consider getting some adjustable cam gears (AEM are 200 for a pair from US)

It all comes does to how much you want to spend.

noypi
17-03-2011, 09:30 PM
alrighty thnx for the tips :D