PDA

View Full Version : Seat Rails - need some help

hitoriko
17-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Hey guys

i've been on CRXAUS lately as i swapped my EG5 for a ED9 CRX (i'll post a build thread shortly) anyways i picked up a pair of Bucket seats for it and i can mount the rails fine except i can get all the holes to line up on the floor pan, people ahve told me to get some customs made up or redrill hoes in the floor pan.

If i go get custom rails can anyone point me in the right direction who can do them and what i have to do to make the legal, i went on the Vicroads website and they say i need to have a VASS inspector check them for safety, now the seats are ADR approved so thats fine its just the rails.

I could make the rails myself but i dont have the time, tools or know how to make them well and safe

OR

If i redrill into the floor pan what are the legalities of this will i also have to get this engineered?

Any help would be great thanks guys!

drgtr
17-03-2011, 07:27 AM
When I had got EG seats into my Del sol. One of the rails were too long. So I just cut and rewelded shorter. That worked perfectly.
Its probably not the best way. Someone did mention to me to drill a hole to the floor.

Stoogey
17-03-2011, 11:52 AM
As far as i know, if you drill new holes into your chassis it will have to be checked at properly (ie. engineered) because anything changed from stock is theoretically not allowed to, so basically you can't just go punching holes into your floor due to safety reasons and what not.

hitoriko
17-03-2011, 11:58 AM
As far as i know, if you drill new holes into your chassis it will have to be checked at properly (ie. engineered) because anything changed from stock is theoretically not allowed to, so basically you can't just go punching holes into your floor due to safety reasons and what not.

This is what i was thinking but i wasnt 100% sure because as long as it isn't dodgy it should pass being that its just the same as the standard.

quangsuke
17-03-2011, 01:25 PM
well i've got fancy way of doing it.

my old pair of bucket seats i made rails by using stock eg rails, grinding the entire top so it becomes flat
bought a set of bucket seat mounts which sit on top of rails

drilled bolts through and BAM

worked a treat on my bucket seats that i used.

hitoriko
17-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Hey quang! - let me know next time your hitting up winton :)

back on topic - i was going to do that with mine make a brace like this

|+|+++++++++|+|
| |-------------| |
| |-------------| |
|+|+++++++++|+|

|| = standard rails
+ = metal bracing
- = nothing

hitoriko
18-03-2011, 03:52 PM
anyone?

hasto2770