PDA

View Full Version : Got a question about the dc2

ekvtir90
18-03-2011, 07:39 PM
I own a 99 Honda integra vtir dc2 and I want to get a exhaust system done. Ive spoken to a mechanic and they recon that a bigger size piping from 2 inch is too large for a small car even a 2 1/4" and they recon the car would loose power is this true ? Also got another question how big is the stock piping ? I really don't know how big it is, if it's two inch I might just leave it and get a new muffler and cat.

dougie_504
19-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Most 'general' mechanics I know seem to think this too. My family mechanic told me that anything larger than 2" on my B16A would result on a power loss. IMO they just don't really know what they're talking about, or they're totally focussed on low-end power.

VTEC engines make power up top, so if you increase the size of your exhaust to say 2.25" then you will move your power band. Yes you could notice a slight loss of power down low but you'll notice gains probably in the mid and high end of the rev-range.

My brother is running 60mm (technically 2.37" but often referred to as 2.5") on his GSI non-VTEC and we've noticed pretty much zero power loss down low, but good gains in the mid-high end plus better responsiveness.

So if I were you I would consider upgrading for fun. Not sure what the OEM size is though...probably 2"? You could consider an OEM Type R exhaust which is 2.25" with a nice looking muffler. Upgrading your standard cat to a high-flow cat is also a great idea IMO.

Also if you're going to do this I highly recommend getting a better header as the OEM one is quite heavy and restrictive. Will make the whole system flow much better.

EDIT: Also I'm running 60mm on my B16A CRX, as are several of my CRX friends. But for us there is less low-end power to worry about to begin with :D

ekvtir90
19-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Thanks for your response I appreciate it. I got my standard muffler cut off and replaced with a simple straight muffler it saw the change in sound but just slightly, its also mild steel. I'm not satisfied with the sound so if i change my cat to hi flow it should make a difference in sound? because my bet is that most of the sound gets restricted from there and the headers. I think I'll go for the 2.25 inch exhaust system, do you recommend anywhere around Melbourne ? where did you get your exhausts done? what are my prices I'm looking at if i were to get stainless exhaust cat back? Sorry I got alot of questions in my mind but your help will be appreciated.

dougie_504
19-03-2011, 12:59 AM
No worries at all mate, it's my pleasure to help.

Mild steel is quieter than stainless steel because it's thicker. Stainless is generally thinner so sounds a little 'raspier' but obviously looks better and is stronger.

Not sure about sound from changing your cat alone as I have never changed only the cat. Changing the header will change the tone for sure.

My CRX's exhaust is a pre-fabricated Kakimoto cat-back that I imported from Japan. My brother is using a Fujitsubo Power Getter (IMO this is a totally awesome cat-back for the DC2/4 Integra).

We both had our exhausts done (as well as four of my mates) at:
Performance Exhaust
49 New Street
Ringwood VIC 3134
(03) 9870 4977

From our experiences their quality of work and craft is very good, and the prices are affordable. They're also quick and have good customer service.

I'm unsure of the price of a stainless steel setup. For mild-steel and press-bends you can expect to pay about $250 installed with an optional resonator (recommended). High-flow cat will set you back around the $200 mark. Header could be $300-600 depending on what brand and new/used. I suggest a good used header and muffler as cheap ones aren't always worth playing with.

For stainless steel and mandrel bends I assume it'd cost at least twice the $250 of the mild steel and press bends. But then you can surely get away with press bends anyway.

Do you need more information on mandrel and press bends or are you savy on that?

dougie_504
19-03-2011, 01:05 AM
Going to bed. It's cold as.

Just in case you're not sure. Press bends are when the exhaust is shaped by bending it, which means there can be inconsistencies in the diameter of the piping (bend a hose/straw and you'll see what I mean if you can't imagine it). There can also be a mild 'ribbing' effect on the inside of the pipe as the metal is bent over itself (like when you bend forward at the waist and your fat rolls up). Ultimately for a daily-driven car these are not big issues as most of the bends in the exhaust of your car are not big angles, usually 90 degrees or less.

Mandrel bends are when the exhaust is shaped by stretching it, and you're guaranteed a consistent diameter all along the pipe and no internal ribbing. It's more expensive and probably considered more important for performance-orientated exhausts on cars that are going to see some track time, but it's undoubtedly better and basically all big-brand pre-fabricated exhaust setups are stainless/mandrel.

dougie_504
19-03-2011, 01:07 AM
Call Performance Exhaust and tell them what you want. They should be able to give you a rough quote over the phone.

CRXDEL501
19-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Agree with dougie. Hit the nail on the head there.

ekvtir90
19-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks alot for the info now I'm thinking about what I should get a 2.5 or 2.25 inch pipe diameter, would i loose too much with 2.5?
I would call that place in ringwood but its just too far from where I live at least an hour drive. I need some where locally northern melbourne side, so if anyone knows a place they recommend that would be great.

Dougle is your brother exhaust something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnlV_kZpIzs if it is I'd love an exhaust like that :D how much am I looking at for a muffer like that?

Or its probably more like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kew_QuGLDM it doesn't sound too loud on low range but louder on higher revs?

ekvtir90
19-03-2011, 11:37 AM
I've been looking at the prices of the fujitsubo I think thats a little too deer for me I'm looking to spend for a cat back tops 500 to 600 dollars, so I think I'll just pick something out locally.

dougie_504
19-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Second video.

I don't think you'll lose too much down low with a 60mm but don't take my word as law. 2.25" would be a good size which is why I recommend the ITR standard exhaust as it's 2.25". However 60mm is my choice though and although I haven't had experience with other exhausts I'm very very happy with the Power Getter on my brother's DC4 non-VTEC.

Looks awesome, sounds great, nice and deep at idle/low revs and really opens up as you accelerate without being abusively loud.

After I polished it up for him (was dirty beforehand). We paid $700 with a Magnaflow high-flow cat already bolted onto it.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/dougie_504/Cars%20Other/23032010059.jpg

The benefit of buying a full cat-back system is that you'll get a muffler with it and probably a resonator too. If you can get a custom one made in stainless steel and mandrel bent for say $500, then you still need to pay extra for a muffler (don't get a sh!t/cheap one) so in the end you'll probably pay a similar price ---> might as well get something that has research & development behind it and is therefore proven.

bennjamin
19-03-2011, 12:15 PM
remember that an aftermarket exhaust on any car isnt going to "increase" power at all. It just will shift the power band up down or gain midrange , to take advantage (hopefully) of the cars gearing.

ekvtir90
19-03-2011, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't mind that magnaflow exhaust for 700 sounds resonable, i just need a place to do a good job, I work full time so I really can't go far to get it done.
If I can't find a ITR piping do you recommend if I get a custom one I should just get 2.5?
also what do you polish the stainless steel with?

Bennjamin: if I get a 2.5 instead of a 2.25 is that just going to shift the power band to an even higher rpm?

vtecing
19-03-2011, 01:20 PM
you might see a power increase though if your exhaust is too small and restricting air flow, after you have performed induction modifications or upgraded the cams. More air that goes in means more air needs to go out

ekvtir90
19-03-2011, 01:27 PM
you might see a power increase though if your exhaust is too small and restricting air flow, after you have performed induction modifications or upgraded the cams. More air that goes in means more air needs to go out

I got a CAI modification done actually.

dougie_504
19-03-2011, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't mind that magnaflow exhaust for 700 sounds resonable, i just need a place to do a good job, I work full time so I really can't go far to get it done.
If I can't find a ITR piping do you recommend if I get a custom one I should just get 2.5?
also what do you polish the stainless steel with?

Bennjamin: if I get a 2.5 instead of a 2.25 is that just going to shift the power band to an even higher rpm?

Yes the larger the piping generally the more power you make up top. Your standard exhaust is built to optimise low-end power.

For $700 we got the Fujitsubo Power Getter with a Magnaflow high-flow cat mated to it. Was a great deal even by today's prices.

If you're planning to do internal engine work I'd go 60mm, otherwise I'd try for 2.25" like the ITR exhaust. Will make the car feel better to drive.

ekvtir90
19-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Not planning on doing anything internally besides maybe getting a header in the future so ill probably get the 2.25 :)
wow thats really good where from? if you find something give me a heads up yeah ;)
also does anyone know the stock gsr pipe sizing?

dougie_504
19-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Bought privately via OH parts section.

If you're going to do your exhaust components do them all at once - header, cat and full cat-back inc. muffler. Will save you money on labour costs.

Bludger
19-03-2011, 04:30 PM
nice title.

DCZ 18C
19-03-2011, 05:27 PM
i got an ITR cat back if you are interested.. pm me yo.. xD

will seperate B-PIPE and axle back if you only want one

DCZ 18C
20-03-2011, 10:28 AM
hey buddy cant pm you for some reason.. just msg me on the number on the for sale thread and i will get back to you.. or post on the for sale thread up to you

ekvtir90
20-03-2011, 11:35 AM
I had to change my email address. Maybe that's why but I sent you a SMS to the number shown on your thread let me know if you've received it. Can anyone bother to explain what a b pipe really is for ? And will it fit my dc2 ?

t200
23-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Is the dc2r jdm muffler the same as the adm muffler?

Getting a J's FX60RS ti, jdm high flow cat and J's headers soon and need a muffler incase i get defected...

ekvtir90
23-03-2011, 10:43 PM
From what I read yes the mufflers are most likely identical. Are you getting the jdm high flow cat in the dc2r piping if so where from I need one as well.

t200
24-03-2011, 06:18 AM
Getting it from Tegiwa Imports (UK store)

CRXDEL501
24-03-2011, 09:42 AM
i got an ITR cat back if you are interested.. pm me yo.. xD

will seperate B-PIPE and axle back if you only want one

LOL did you get an infraction for unauthorised selling?

CRXDEL501
24-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Getting it from Tegiwa Imports (UK store)

what exhaust are you buying?

ekvtir90
24-03-2011, 03:23 PM
LOL did you get an infraction for unauthorised selling?

Infraction why?

Does anyone know if the stock cat dc2r is seperatable with welding it off or joining on. Also where can I find a straight fit on hi flow cat if it's Possible that is without going to a exhaust shop.

CRXDEL501
24-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Infraction why?

Does anyone know if the stock cat dc2r is seperatable with welding it off or joining on. Also where can I find a straight fit on hi flow cat if it's Possible that is without going to a exhaust shop.

for unauthorised selling. not meant to sell in threads..

you want to put hi flow cat on stock dc2r exhaust?

ekvtir90
24-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Yes well I'm going to need one because i thought he included the cat but it doesnt.

CRXDEL501
24-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Yes well I'm going to need one because i thought he included the cat but it doesnt.

so you bought a type r exhaust for your vtir?

the type r exhaust is good, but restrictive.

DC2-PWR
24-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Infraction why?

Aftermarket High flow cat's don't come with a flange that will bolt onto the stock DC2R exhaust. They are mostly universual made to fit every car. If you want, you can tell your exhaust-shop to weld a flange on the cat... make sure diemensions are 100% correct. Make sure flange is the correct one, the 3 bolt mount. The flanges are around $15-20 each, welding for both should be $50-60. Thats $80. Highflow cat is around $200-$350. So approximetly $300-$400max just on a highflow cat, certainy brands vary.

I got a 300cell cat which was nearly $420, and that was driectly welded with a flexy-pipe. Why, because I forgot my flanges at home, and this was the only best solution. Normally this is how exhaust shops do it anyway. Less tension on the exhaust = less chances of cracks etc.

And for FFS don't get a stock DC2R exhaust. Get a custom made one that would be most likely cheaper, and get it to be 2.5inch. With a highflow cat and resonator, you will make more gains with an awesome exhaust note!

Good luck,

CRXDEL501
24-03-2011, 03:52 PM
i wouldnt have bought a type r exhaust for the vtir to be honest.

CRXDEL501
24-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Infraction why?

i got an infraction a year ago for unauthorised selling....

ekvtir90
24-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Well it will be less restrictive than the vtir since the pipping is bigger.

CRXDEL501
24-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Well it will be less restrictive than the vtir since the pipping is bigger.

can i ask, how much did you buy the exhaust for?

yeah, bigger piping, ok, but a restrictive muffler, and now you got no cat, your going to spend more for a cat then you might have for the exhaust.

im hoping you didnt pay too much for the stock itr exhaust

DC2-PWR
24-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Just to let you know, that the DC2R exhaust won't fit.

It's shorter by 40-50mm. You need an exhaust shop to extend the exhaust by the exact measurements.

I have a DC2R Buddyclub spec 3 catback, and it didnt fit on my stock cat because it was too short...

ekvtir90
24-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Just to let you know, that the DC2R exhaust won't fit.

It's shorter by 40-50mm. You need an exhaust shop to extend the exhaust by the exact measurements.

I have a DC2R Buddyclub spec 3 catback, and it didnt fit on my stock cat because it was too short...

Then I'll just need to get them adjust it for me thanks mate.
Also is the muffler resonator worth removing?

t200
24-03-2011, 09:41 PM
what exhaust are you buying?

J's Racing FX60RS ti with J's headears

CRXDEL501
24-03-2011, 11:37 PM
J's Racing FX60RS ti with J's headears

Yeah good choice, but other fella got jipped with an itr exhaust