PDA

View Full Version : Sound deadening a Euro CU2 Luxury

WarrenM
20-03-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm sure anyone who has driven a CU2 or ridden in one would be fairly impressed with the noise levels of the car, at least until they compare it with say a current Jag or Lexus saloon. These are big beasts which cost much more and have much bigger motors to haul their substantial extra weight.

Even so, I'm wondering how much noise can be easily blocked from entering the cabin in the current Euro Luxury, and what would be the most cost-effective way to go about it.

I'm also wondering if there are any cheap sources of sound-deadening materials such as Mass Loaded Vinyl in Australia.

Regards
Warren

Fredoops
20-03-2011, 10:38 PM
1. You can sound proof the doors (with those expensive stick on rubber film thingy)
2. Choose tyres that's more suited to Aussie roads (Michelin and Continental's have horrible road roar)

BUT, most of the NVH is from the engine, the K24 is.... rather highly tuned to haul this bulk, the stock 5speed auto isn't helping. That's why other European Marque's are starting to use small capacity low-pressure forced induction engines in cars like new Volvo's Audi's VW's and Peugeot, because of the power delivery and the fact it'll be quieter.

Not much you can do about that sadly, maybe except try around different engine oils or something, the noise level of my CL9 is better after a service with decent full-syn oil.

opilot87
21-03-2011, 12:37 AM
There are cans/tins of sound deadener you can buy from places like Auto One or Bunnings, its like a thick tar, and you brush it onto the underside of the car. I spoke to someone recently who does a lot of highway travel in a Hyundai Getz, and they said it makes a noticeable difference. I was thinking of trying it on my CL9.

I think tyre noise is the noise I want to block out most. Its expensive, but i've been wondering if using it in well targeted areas like the interior side of the wheels arches will make a notable difference. Putting Dynamat in doors will improve stereo sound and rattles im sure, but not too sure how much exterior road noise it will really block out.

Either way please report any findings, I'll be interested to know.

Ollie

tron07
21-03-2011, 06:11 AM
Most of the road noise comes from the tires, use quiet comfort tires and it will reduce a whole lot of noise.

Also sound deaden your wheel arch and boot area with stuffs like dynamat extreme, noisekiller, deadspan, etc...
You also can apply a layer of bitumen or rubber spray or spray quitekote on the bottom of the car and under the wheel arch.
For engine noise, if you are nit picking then do the firewall area, but I think its pretty quiet if you just cruise.