PDA

View Full Version : B16 Em1 Engine Mounts

sneakygreek
22-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Hey guys got my Em1 two weeks ago. My mechanic said my Rear engine mount is on its way out. Shoult i just replace the 1 Engine mount with a OEM one or get some Hasport or Skunk 2 full set?

WMD
22-03-2011, 12:05 PM
they will typically decay over time at a resonably similar rate of wear. rear engine mount tends to wear quickest however, as in your case. Nonetheless likely isnt too far that the others will start showing age, so better to do all at the same time.

Given the effort in changing them also, even if you are doing it yourself it makes sense to do all at once.

depending on the aftermarket option chosen they will likely be less than a full OEM set anyway, though if you go for a track/race spec mount they will reduce flex and engine movement under acceleration/off-throttle, however will translate more NVH into the cabin. There are of course more middle of the road options you can take- all depends on your intended use. Either way I would think an aftermarket solution would be more cost effective.

sneakygreek
22-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Its just for road use not track or racing, price doesnt really matter, ofcourse i wouldnt go for full top of the range as it would be a total waste

Dc_II
22-03-2011, 02:07 PM
How much are the hasport or skunks costing you?

BennyH
22-03-2011, 02:30 PM
How'd you know your rear engine mount was on it's way out ? I have an EM1 too and apparantly my mate said my rear engine mount is gone too. While i had no idea about this.

sneakygreek
22-03-2011, 03:30 PM
How'd you know your rear engine mount was on it's way out ? I have an EM1 too and apparantly my mate said my rear engine mount is gone too. While i had no idea about this.
I personally cant feel it....... but my mechanic drove the car and checked the engine bay and said its nearly gone

How much are the hasport or skunks costing you?

Not sure havnt checked yet

WMD
22-03-2011, 04:09 PM
the mounting rubber will decay over time- reason the rears will go quicker is they cop more of the debris and gunk usually (obviously depends on what car it is though). When the decay gets too bad the engine will rock more and more under hard acceleration or lift-off - can eventually lead to metal on metal contact, which you will hear very definitely when it happens.

Mechanic saying its on its way out presumably means (if he's being honest with you) that the rubber is showing signs of excessive wear and decay, perhaps even that the engine is already rocking too much in one point due to this.