PDA

View Full Version : Do I need new dust covers/ bump stops for my Koni install?

Mikecivic78
25-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Hey guy,

I've gotten my Eibach pro kit and Koni Yellows for my em1. No coilover sleeves, just springs and shocks. I'm about to buy some spring compressors and next step is finding a day when I can do the install DIY and wheel alignment.

I just have 2 quick Qs.

1. Do I need to get new dust covers? Will the stock ones fit my setup?

2. Is there any way to check the bumpstops without removing the sussy? I wanna know in advance if I'll need replacement bumpstops. The car has 190,000 on the odo. It had a very easy life up until 160,000kms.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

GIPONU
25-03-2011, 11:16 PM
I think better if you did get new dustcovers and bumpstops. because they are made from rubbers and plastic which over time become brittle and fall apartss.
to check the bumpstops i'd say remove the wheel and inspect. but not sure about the design of the spring. if you cant see it through the spring then i guess ur gonna havce to remove it...

and this is me just thinking logically off the top of my head to give you a direction since no one else has helped so far....

Mikecivic78
28-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the input.

Dust covers look in all right condition. My question is: will the stock ones fit the new dampers?

GIPONU
28-03-2011, 07:21 PM
they should. its just a cover with a hole in the middle.
i dont see why not
but i guess you could always do a trial and error

Oz_Striker
30-03-2011, 05:32 AM
Your stock dust covers should be fine to use man. I re-used my stock ones when I put my sussy in. As far as the bump stops go, it's gonna be hard to see the bump stops without taking off the dust cover, which you can't really do until you've got the whole lot off the car lol didn't the shocks come with new bump stops?

As long as they're not really worn out the stock ones should be fine. One thing that I was prompted to do when i put mine in was to chop off the end knob from all of the bump stops because the car was being lowered so that you don't hit the bump stops too early. I think that's why anyway lol