PDA

View Full Version : Help! My amp keeps cutting out (Alpine PDX F4)

JamieP
27-03-2011, 06:20 PM
The strangest thing has started happening with my amp over the last couple of weeks. All of a sudden the speakers will start to get a crackle that sounds like radio static (all 4 speakers similtaniously) and then the amp will completely shut off, light and all for about a second and then it comes straight back on. Sometimes it will only do this once, other times it will continue doing it every minute or so to the point where I have to turn it off for a while and give it a break.

What is even stranger is it only does this on long drives. If Im just driving around town it works fine. no problems what so ever. but when I drive from geelong to melbourne, by the time Ive almost reached the city, thats when this problem seems to start happening.

My first thought was that maybe I had a loose speaker connection but its not that. Then I thought maybe it wasnt earthed propperly but its not that either. Have any of you guys who own one of these amps had the same problem? I googled it and another PDX guy posted the same question on a forum but didnt get any replies.

thanks heaps.

NA15BS
28-03-2011, 12:38 AM
give us more details on your set up like what speakers are you using, are you running the amp with the subwoofer?

fitme
28-03-2011, 08:01 AM
What is even stranger is it only does this on long drives. If Im just driving around town it works fine. no problems what so ever. but when I drive from geelong to melbourne, by the time Ive almost reached the city, thats when this problem seems to start happening.

where did you mount your amp?..is it properly ventilated?

GaDgeT-CRX
28-03-2011, 09:53 AM
does your amp go into 'protect' (led light on amp) when this prob occurs??

JamieP
28-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Sorry for the lCk of details guys. So I'm running 4 focal Cvx speakers off this amp which is mounted under my passenger seat. No red light comes on when this problem happens, i just here a clicking noise and it shuts off them comes straight back on.

My sub is powered off a separate amp in the boot and it continues playing strong when the other amp shuts down

2MPRS
28-03-2011, 10:44 AM
check your ignition wire if it cuts in and out.

arverson
29-03-2011, 01:29 PM
sounds like its either:
1) goin into protection mode. if an amp was struggling to cool itself down -especially over a long time(drive)- then itll shutdown. how are the amps setup? hows their ventilation?
2) voltage drop/ground issue. re-check your grounds with a multimeter. relocate if you have to.
3. remote/ignition wire shorting out somewhere. re-check the connections and examine the entire length of wire to ensure no shorts.

but to me it sounds like poor air ventilation.

NA15BS
29-03-2011, 06:01 PM
if happens only on a long drive maybe your amp doesnt have enough ventilation mounting it under the seat, try mounting it in the boot if you still have some space... hopes this help,,

JamieP
30-03-2011, 11:05 AM
thanks for the help guys. Im thinking it could be a vetilation problem as well =/

mikul
04-04-2011, 10:51 AM
have you checked your fuse box ?? ..aka the resistor(s) near your battery ? ...the wires which run through ur fuse box maybe loose. the same thing happen to me a few months ago...it took me a while to figure it out that it was actually coming from the fuse box and not the actual amp. the amp turns on/off like that to protect itself ..u learn something new everyday i guess :)