PDA

View Full Version : Hard decision ... Or is it ?

Prince_James
28-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Hey guys this is a very hard choice for me but it seems kinda stupid ...
recently paid 24K for a civic for mum now its time for me to get myself a car again after selling my B20 Da9
i have a 15k budget ( meaning it would have to include insurance and all that )
these are the two cars that are causing the problem * stupid i know *
a jazz vti -s modified to a certain extent on looks and ice wise but with only zorst done and cvt with this car its newer fun car to just drive around in but no performance what so ever and prolly wont ever be due to the auto tranny
the other idea is to get a eg or eh9 with a b18 type r motor already in
good thing is that its quick and has potential later on down the road however its old ...
the jazz i have my eyes on is about 14K neg
and as for the egs or eh9s they can go from about 8-13k

what do u guys think honestly ? get the jazz as its newer and looks quite good imo or the eg cause ill get bored of the non performance potential of the jazz

cheers guys any help is appreciated
ps please no unhelpful comments need to make the decision asap cheers :)

DA9B18C
28-03-2011, 09:36 AM
EG+B18cR = more fun!

Prince_James
28-03-2011, 09:41 AM
So hands down to the eg? how would a b18cR eg go compared to my old car ? b20 non vtec da9 ?
and eg hatch or sedan ( prolly another dumb question ) sorry

Renaissance_x
28-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Get the more fun car.
There is nothing wrong with older car's so long as they are well maintained.

TheSaint
28-03-2011, 11:02 AM
get a manual Jazz and bolt a turbo onto it - or put in a K20 and supercharge it =p

Prince_James
28-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Nahh its only this specific jazz as quite a lot of cosmetics have been done to it and looks pretty damn nicee has a zorst and springs done. But if it were me I wouldn't be bothered to do all that myself plus k20 or somethingg its just gonna be too muchh lolss

joel89
28-03-2011, 02:21 PM
B18 wuld go heaps harder than ur da9. Get the eg or ek

act_gooner
28-03-2011, 03:36 PM
I'd get teh EG. Depends what you're after though. Jazz should be cheaper to maintain than a heavily worked car, but its a Jazz...

Prince_James
28-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Ok I guess ill stay with the civic. However question now is the eh or eg. I know most people would go for the eg and I'd personally go for it too. Only thing is there is a eh with b18 good condition for 7800 neg. Where as eg b18s seem to be about the 9K + mark

Indie
28-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Get an EG or EH with low kms. I think it's the better looking car, the better performing car, and you'll have fun modifying it.

As for the EG or EH debate, I'd probably go the EG if I had the choice, but they're both nice. If you can find a good deal on either, just go for it.

u mad?
28-03-2011, 05:41 PM
dc2r.

NightKids
28-03-2011, 05:47 PM
DC2R x 2

TheSaint
28-03-2011, 06:11 PM
lol too much hard work to put on some springs and a bit of cosmetics - but ur looking ar getting a B18 civic ... sigh

get eh or eg sedan (basically the same thing - and no EH doesnt mean sedan because there are EG stamped sedans too)

i personally like my EG sedan over my mates EG hatchbacks - if i got a hatch it would have to be an EK
theres a few EK hatches with B18cR's going around for sub 9k

Prince_James
28-03-2011, 07:40 PM
lol too much hard work to put on some springs and a bit of cosmetics - but ur looking ar getting a B18 civic ... sigh

get eh or eg sedan (basically the same thing - and no EH doesnt mean sedan because there are EG stamped sedans too)

i personally like my EG sedan over my mates EG hatchbacks - if i got a hatch it would have to be an EK
theres a few EK hatches with B18cR's going around for sub 9k

lolss lemme rephrase that what i was meant to say i personally wouldnt modify a jazz from start to finish to that extent too much moneyy but if there was one already done like the one i am looking at then i dont mind
and as for the civic there is a sedan version of the eg with a b18 and there are also eg hatches with b18 was just wondering which one would be bettter to get and why

really? im in nsw are u looking at wa ? =S
and as for the dc2 type r i am considering that ... but i do prefer the dc5 or a ep3

TheSaint
28-03-2011, 08:48 PM
big price differences between EG/Dc2/Dc5 and EP lol

theres an EG sedan, EH sedan and EG hatch's

none of these ever came stock with a B18c

as for the differences - you would really need to drive both and make a decision

Prince_James
28-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Yerr there is causee if I had a few K more then I'd settle for a ep3R or DC5R.
Yehh I am aware of thatt. I guess I would have to go for a drive

dougie_504
28-03-2011, 10:17 PM
For the love of God don't get a Jazz bro. After going from a B20 DA9 you'll f*cking hate it. My mum drives a Jazz and I don't really care how 'safe' or 'modern and comfortable' it is - it's just so boring! It's like a modern Corolla, no feedback to the driver via the tyres/steering or chassis, no sound to let you know how the engine's going, really high centre of gravity so it handles like ass, and it's gutless. Turbo would make it faster for sure but if you do that I reckon you're just in denial - if you want a quick car get a car that was made to go quick!

If you want a good/reliable family car then for sure do it, good value the Jazz. But if you want some sportiness then get the EG or EH9 with B18C. I have an EH9 and love it, even with the SOHC D VTEC. I've done CAI, 4-2-1 header, strut braces, JDM LCA's with Bilstein coilovers, and am about to put an ITR rear sway bar on. It's a reliable and cheap daily, good on fuel, and I can put four people in it. Perfect daily/fun combination IMO.

TheSaint
28-03-2011, 11:26 PM
K20 Jazz - lol

the current model corolla sux bad - the model below it was awsome tho - especially the sportivo model with lift =)
(lift or VVTI-L = vtec but for toyotas lol)

its an awsome middle point between a B series honda and an EP3

http://jdmwallpapers.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Devil-Black-Corolla-Sportivo-Hatch.jpg

u mad?
28-03-2011, 11:34 PM
if you like ugly corollas with piece of shit gearbox's

TheSaint
28-03-2011, 11:38 PM
iv driven heeps of facelifted sportivos - they look amazing and the gearbox was nice as - the prefacelift model is yuck tho

so ur really narrowed down to the late 2004 - 2005 range

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc1ojZdNupw&feature=related

dougie_504
29-03-2011, 02:21 AM
My girlfriend has a 2008 Ascent or something like that. I hate it. All the pedals feel like crap. Clutch super high and pussy soft, with a sort of 'dead space' where it's neither really engaged or disengaged properly. You can't feather the throttle properly because the revs kind of 'lag' and you have terrible responsiveness. I've played computer games with gearsticks that have more 'feeling' or 'oomph' to them and when I'm driving it I pretty much feel like I'm watching television on a sofa...just surrounded by soft crap with no idea what's going on with my immediate surroundings because nothing seems to give me feedback.

Mum's 2005 Jazz is a little better...

But hey, some people like that kind of car...

TheSaint
29-03-2011, 10:06 AM
nah i hate the current model corolla - they are shit - all the same problems you mentioned

and the interior is such a pain - massive dash board that goes out over the engine and that stupid bit under where the shifter is .... arg

the 04/05 facelift was the last good model imo - and the sportivo had such a cool engine =)
we have a Auto Accent 04 facelift - and even tho it doesnt have the better engine with lift and its an auto - its still sweet to drive =)

Prince_James
29-03-2011, 12:37 PM
i thought about getting the corolla sportivo but then, if i get one it would have to be the facelift model and thats stretching my budget of 15 grand and ontop of that i would never pick a toyota over a honda thats just personal preference though xP
so i guess its time for me to look for a clean eg or ek with a b18cR =)

TheSaint
29-03-2011, 01:20 PM
u can get facelift sportivos in WA for under 15k ... the tide must be turning for cheap cars lol - used to be that all the good cheap cars wer over east - now we have some pure winners over here haha

EK(B18)/EG(B18)/Sportivo would be a good hunting ground - good luck on your quest =)

Prince_James
29-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Lols I live in nsw and cars here are pricier than most other states lolz
Yerr I'll be looking around probe not the sportivo
Unless something else comes up in the market maybe I can find a ep3 or dc5r if im lucky or find a bit more funds
Cheers mate =)

TheSaint
29-03-2011, 05:53 PM
well keep ur eyes open - if a s'tivo pops up in ur price range i would test drive it

they drive very similar to the EK VTI-R but with more torque and newer car feel - i prefer the s'tivo handling as well

than at least if u dont like it - no harm done

EP3 would be the best - i love those - but hard to get and expensive

WATAJK
29-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Dude, just a notice of warning
Whatever car you choose if it's modified with a different motor.
PLEASE, PLEASE make sure engine is registered to the car...
Last thing you want is to get pulled over and not have the engine registered to car.
If the cop does get you on this, say gg basically unless you spend the time and effort to get the engine registered to the vehicle.

Just a tip.
Best of luck, EG Hatch B18CR Ftw

Prince_James
30-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Yehh ill keep my eyes peeled
And thanks for the tip ill keep that in mind hehe. Gonna start huntingg ill make sure to let u guys know what i come up with =).
Last question hows reliability in a b18cr eg or ek as they are fairly old cars
Thats if the conversion was done right cheers

TheSaint
30-03-2011, 09:40 AM
lol old cars - these hondas will go for at least 400k++ if looked after

mine has done almost 320k now and still runs like the day i bought it - just up keep with OEM fluids and check it at least once a week - keep the service intervals tight etc

the EG/EK chassis is solid - if there has been no accidents and the car hasnt seen heavy track (or even worse - street racing) than it will be fine

just make sure you do all the usual checks - and dont bother getting a third party mechanical inspection - everytime i try on a swapped car they are pretty much useless

Renaissance_x
30-03-2011, 10:41 AM
And besides that there is nothing wrong with old cars if they are well looked after.

u mad?
30-03-2011, 02:21 PM
old car = ou will have problems, lots of little small ones at the very least

quangsuke
30-03-2011, 03:57 PM
get a stock dc2r.
sounds like it will be your daily.

ride comfort is better
recaros come standard
sway bars are already upgraded
dont have to worry about defects of any kind (unless cop is a jerk)
newer chassis and piece of mind =D

Indie
30-03-2011, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't get a DC2R. FWD isn't so bad for the Civic, because it's a tiny little FWD toy, and fun to modify, whereas the Type R is inhabiting a grey area between zippy FWD compacts and sporty RWD coupes that I don't want my car to occupy. If I'm driving a FWD that's meant to be at all sporty, it had better be tiny, too.

TheSaint
30-03-2011, 09:00 PM
um lol? the Dc2 has better FF style handeling than the EG and the EK??
have you even driven them all back to back??

i have owned all of them and all at the same time in the past - so i could get a clear definition between the chassis - all cars were stock when i first had them too
the EG doesnt compare with the sharpness of the Dc2 - the small FF coupe feeling just cant be beaten - the prelude on the other hand was too heavy and felt that it should have been FR
the EK was ok - somewhere in the middle between the EG and Dc2

Indie
30-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Oh yeah, clearly it's a better handling car than the Civic, and everything you say is a fair call. Obviously the Prelude should have been FR, it's far too big to be FF, but I still think the Teg is pushing it as well. I'd probably have a Prelude if it had been FR, actually.

Anyway, I know the Type R handles well despite being FF, but it's that glaring 'flaw' in a supposed 'sports' coupe that I can't look past, whereas with the Civic, it's just another shortfall that you have to overcome whenever you're tuning a family car, so it doesn't annoy me as much. I'm looking forward to the day when in-wheel electric motors allow for tiny, cheap AWD pocket-rockets.

Off topic, heh.

TheSaint
30-03-2011, 10:54 PM
why do you hate FF so much?

FF, FR, MR, RR, AWD can all be useful for different things - they are all built for different purposes

FF has its place - u will chomp ANY FR car in corners (e.g. roundabouts etc) and you will ALWAYS have a more responsive and controlled car
the ITR is designed specifically to be an FF track car for FF style racing - and most of the time will beat FR cars

FR cars are all well and good - BUT for the classic sport car feel - u have to have a classic sport car lol
yes you can acheive track glory with an S14/S15 etc but they will always feel like they should be a drift car - a classic M3 on the other hand - now thats a thing of beauty
the only other thing is that FR can handle alot higher power output - but you still have to be able to put the power down - non point in having a 450kw S14 if u have crap wheel/tyre setup
u will be sitting at the start line spinning/burning rubber while the well balanced FF ITR takes off like a rocket

MR and RR are both amazing when handled well - its the best way to tune up the centre of gravity of a car but also makes the car very technical to drive

and as for AWD - its kind of the balance between FF and FR - it does have its niggles and the drivetrain taxes more power than 2wd car but when built right they can handle moderate power and handle well
and they are MONSTERS on the dirt =)

its horses for courses - saying that u dont like the ITR because its not FR is like saying you dont like eating apples because they dont taste like oranges

androo
31-03-2011, 09:09 AM
why do you hate FF so much?

FF, FR, MR, RR, AWD can all be useful for different things - they are all built for different purposes

FF has its place - u will chomp ANY FR car in corners (e.g. roundabouts etc) and you will ALWAYS have a more responsive and controlled car
the ITR is designed specifically to be an FF track car for FF style racing - and most of the time will beat FR cars

FR cars are all well and good - BUT for the classic sport car feel - u have to have a classic sport car lol
yes you can acheive track glory with an S14/S15 etc but they will always feel like they should be a drift car - a classic M3 on the other hand - now thats a thing of beauty
the only other thing is that FR can handle alot higher power output - but you still have to be able to put the power down - non point in having a 450kw S14 if u have crap wheel/tyre setup
u will be sitting at the start line spinning/burning rubber while the well balanced FF ITR takes off like a rocket

MR and RR are both amazing when handled well - its the best way to tune up the centre of gravity of a car but also makes the car very technical to drive

and as for AWD - its kind of the balance between FF and FR - it does have its niggles and the drivetrain taxes more power than 2wd car but when built right they can handle moderate power and handle well
and they are MONSTERS on the dirt =)

its horses for courses - saying that u dont like the ITR because its not FR is like saying you dont like eating apples because they dont taste like oranges
amen!

Prince_James
31-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Hahahaha all I have to say. Every style of drive has its pros and cons and every car has a different purposee there's no reason to prove each other wrong its just a matter of taste and what the driver wants the car for
Welpss I think I have made up my mind gonna look for a clean eg with a b18cR already done. Or would u guys suggest I go and buy a eg and do the conversion myself ( not meaning I do it but paying someone to do it ). If that makes sence or should I save the hassle and just buy one already done ?

TheSaint
31-03-2011, 03:12 PM
i wonder if the person that made ur avatar picture actually knows that the Atom that Clarkson is driving is powered by a K20a lol

Prince_James
31-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Haha i made that avatar lolss cause its such a funny picture and it so happenes the atom is a k20a xP
Like it ? xD
Hmm thought of something else. I there are a few dc5rs for about 16 grand should i stretch my budget a bit amd get those cause i love the dc5. Just the colour wouldnt be my best preference =S

u mad?
31-03-2011, 04:24 PM
fuk me dead make your own mind up, after all you'll be the one driving it every day.

have you even test driven any of these cars you're thinking of buying yet?

TheSaint
31-03-2011, 04:41 PM
fuk me dead make your own mind up, after all you'll be the one driving it every day.

amen to that

Prince_James
31-03-2011, 04:42 PM

Mate if u dont wanna help then dont post ... I have driven a jazz and eg but with a b16a not a b18 handling would be similar depending on mods but power difference i wouldnt not know about b18c as i havent driven it. Do u know as u have a b18c ?? I have always liked the dc5 only reason was its a bit out of my current budget for the cheapest one and the colour isnt my first preference
And again if nothing good is gonna come out of u then dont post

flop101
26-06-2013, 12:40 AM
Did you end up buying the jazz?

Daveho1
26-06-2013, 05:45 AM
wow.. thread revival nah he got the apple tasting oranges for sure

Super-DA9
27-06-2013, 08:16 AM
He probably went with the best of all worlds.

DC5R with Jazz engine and EG brakes (including rear drums).

Snoop_gee
27-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Haha i made that avatar lolss cause its such a funny picture and it so happenes the atom is a k20a xP
Like it ? xD
Hmm thought of something else. I there are a few dc5rs for about 16 grand should i stretch my budget a bit amd get those cause i love the dc5. Just the colour wouldnt be my best preference =S

Glad you mentioned the DC5R cause someone also on these forums mentioned this.

RA73DR be patient.
I got my DC5R $11,400 with 190,000Ks on the clock and I consider it a good one. There are lots of jokers out there wanting heaps more for there cars than what they are worth.
Do yourself a favour and watch Carsales, Ebay and the forums and you will see that they sit for sale for ever which means they are overpriced.
Supply and demand... Though they are a cool car not many people want them so be patient and you will find the car of your dreams for the right price.

EKVTIR-T
27-06-2013, 06:45 PM
11k dc5r naice realistic price

RenzokukenJ
27-06-2013, 06:56 PM
and again if nothing good is gonna come out of u then dont post

does jizz count

prob bought prelude

brbsellingprelude