PDA

View Full Version : Valve stem seals

EDCivic
28-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Oh no it's looking as if the old ED is in need of new valve stem seals as she will blow a puff off smoke after she has sat at lights for a minute or 2. It immediately clears up as you drive off and will not blow any smoke when the pedal to the metal (on the very rare occasion as we treat her with respect !). So my question is, is it fairly simple to do given patience and a head gaskit kit ? I have done this in the past many, many years ago on an overhead cam (Gemini) engine but never on a 16 valve head so I suspect doing the valve clearances could be painfull ??? Any tips on how to do the task and where to get spares would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Bludger
28-03-2011, 10:19 PM
did you fill it with too much oil?

EDCivic
28-03-2011, 10:28 PM
No, we have had this car for around 12 years now and it has clocked over 330,000 k's so I have to give it credit to last this long without using any oil until now. I have serviced it myself every 5,000 k's inc oil filter and have used gtx 2. It has been a very reliable car and I can see it still going for a few a few more years longer.