PDA

View Full Version : Del Sol Crx B16a

GormzZ
30-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Hey Fella's

Just curious if this car is worth buying for some decent power as a p plater car + being able to get good fuel economy and such?

What do they go for around these days being slightly modded?

Lastly once off p's.. i've noticed the b16's can gain some decent power by doing a simple turbo setup with injectors, t28 bb turbo, ecu and tune?

thanks!

davidvtec
30-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Yes there good on fuel. Only downside, only a 2 seater.. you can buy the civic hatchback vti-r which is a slightly newer car and comes with 4 seats, and also has the same b16a2 motor, there more popular shape. Del sol's are okay too.. but im not a fan of 2 seaters lol

As for turbo setups.. dont think you should worry about that for now, as your taste may change over the years on your Ps.

GormzZ
30-03-2011, 08:07 PM
haha yeah im interested in alot of cars.. but atm want a honda where i originally started (honda integra) before i went to my current nissan 300zx.. need something more reliable and still that kick of power and nice sound.. and a honda suited that good.. reason why i made this thread is i might be able to pick one up for damn cheap.. so it gives me money left over to do alot of other stuff.. and it seems like b16a's have good internals for a n/a motor and can get up to 220hp on a t28 bb turbo on 8psi?

yeah im a fan of 2 seaters now so i don't have to take people cruising about :P..

davidvtec
30-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Honda's are the definition of the word 'reliable', you picked the right car. B16a2's DO have good internals and can be turbocharged for good power. But at the end of the day, how good the motor is, is how much effort and money you put into it.

Is the crx your buying completely stock?

dougie_504
30-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I've driven two Del Sol's and currently own a Gen2 CRX SiR. B16A is a very fun engines, loves to rev, and I reckon the Del Sol would be a sweet little cruiser if you don't mind only 2 seats. Removable roof (avoid the electric roof) is nice and it's a good platform for performance (B-series and EG chassis).

TheSaint
30-03-2011, 08:55 PM
the best honda i have ever driven to this day is still a B18cR Del Sol
they have an amazingly stiff chassis stock over the civic because of the massive hoop behind the seats for the taga roof - and not being a full convertible still retains the roof-line rigidity of a normal car
i hated the dash and that it was only a 2 seater - even tho it had massive leg room and a massive boot - but at the end of the day i couldnt pass up the long fast-back style boot and 4 seats and nicer interior of the Dc2 integra

dougie_504
30-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Yeah I didn't like the dash setup either. Felt too big

GormzZ
30-03-2011, 09:04 PM
ahh the crx del sol im looking at isn't stock on the outside.. has a bodykit, rims etc.. engine looks stock.. but yeah.. also are parts really expensive for the delsol? looking into front,rear windscreens and both door windows, also the del sol roof itself? are these costly?

im liking the sound of this car.. 120kw with like 1150kg for kerb weight.. it must go fairly mental? ohh and is it possible to fit eg civic front bars/front end parts onto crx's due to being the same chassis?

TheSaint
30-03-2011, 09:09 PM
yuck - rims and bodykit lol

yeah EG is pretty much the same car

davidvtec
30-03-2011, 09:15 PM
ahh the crx del sol im looking at isn't stock on the outside.. has a bodykit, rims etc.. engine looks stock.. but yeah.. also are parts really expensive for the delsol? looking into front,rear windscreens and both door windows, also the del sol roof itself? are these costly?

im liking the sound of this car.. 120kw with like 1150kg for kerb weight.. it must go fairly mental? ohh and is it possible to fit eg civic front bars/front end parts onto crx's due to being the same chassis?

The car may have come with 120kw from factory. But i doubt it'll even reach 105kw now, due to its age. Gotta gradually do some bolt on mods, to engine work.

GormzZ
30-03-2011, 09:16 PM
yeah man.. if i buy it.. i will rip of the gay rims.. put on some nice jdm 17" wheels or something.. lower it on some coilys.. rip of kit and put oem kit on.. or something not so ricey.. and make it all motor after that..

ohh sweet! does that mean front bar, hood, guards etc would nearly line up? its only from the dash back that is different?

GormzZ
30-03-2011, 09:17 PM
yeah to easy bud.. basic breather mods is where ill be heading first.. so cold air intake, exhaust, extractors and so forth.. might even rebuild it later down the track.. so far im loving the looks of it atm! :D

davidvtec
30-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Del sol with EK front conversion lol

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af2/David_Vtec/dsc0051ds.jpg

GormzZ
30-03-2011, 09:46 PM
aww sweet.. i'm liking this lol. thanks so far guys.. if theirs any other info related to what i have asked earlier then by all means keep contributing :).

TheSaint
30-03-2011, 11:13 PM
haha that looks awsome, nice 5 lug conversion as well - what wheels are those tho?

i love it when ppl de-rice a honda - everytime you do it God saves a Domikon

the B16a was the best production 1.6 DOHC ever made wasnt it?

ekvtec
31-03-2011, 01:47 AM
haha that looks awsome, nice 5 lug conversion as well - what wheels are those tho?

i love it when ppl de-rice a honda - everytime you do it God saves a Domikon

the B16a was the best production 1.6 DOHC ever made wasnt it?

16" jdm-spec dc2r wheels

TheSaint
31-03-2011, 01:57 AM
i thought so ... the offset looks so flush and straight lol

haydz10
31-03-2011, 03:42 PM
hey mate for a p plater car i think you cant do much better.

when i first got my p's i decided i wanted a v8 so went and got one. then worked out a dodgy way to get an exemption. and at the end of the day its not worth the extra fuel cost.

i ended up picking up a delsol off a bloke i worked with. ive had it for 6 months or so now. its an awesome car. doesnt attract the wrong sort of attention like a commodore though.

GormzZ
31-03-2011, 05:21 PM
yeah thanks guys.. im looking at 2 delsols atm.. ones more stock looking and i think has a b18c inside.. such a decision to make between them.. but i really want one now! lol.

and yeah the saint.. depending on which one i get.. is just removal of gay rims or bodykit.. and going to something like mugen or oem kit.. then lowering on its guts and making clean as possible.

TheSaint
31-03-2011, 07:25 PM
B18c is a much better engine all round to build on - but the B16a is still fun as hell =)

B18c is easier to drive in traffic because of the torque - which is a blessing to have in a honda

take it from me - im rocking a D15b7 - no torque at all =(
makes normal driving a biarch when all the power is right up top lol

dc292177917
01-04-2011, 01:05 AM
for the money of going turbo
i would sell the B16A and chuck in a B18C7
do 5 lug conversion and DC2R sway bar setup
if funds allowed, get CF bonnet + roof + trunk
to make the weight distribution to the ground EVEN more
long story short, the chassis is stiff as fk
i hv a completely stock car except a coilovers of F12kg R10kg
the chassis never shown any signs of twist no matter how hard i push it in the corners

TheSaint
01-04-2011, 02:06 AM
del sol have an amazingly stiff chassis stock - thats one hella good thing they have going for them

dc292177917 preaches good advice =)

VT3C
01-04-2011, 10:24 AM
by the time you remove the kit, replace bumpers etc and the roof (!!?).. repaint.. new rims etc..

you should just buy mine :) engine etc is like as-new condition and you can see how good the body is also :D

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/VTEChnique/BG%20Del%20Sol/BG_EG2_09-1.jpg

TheSaint
01-04-2011, 12:33 PM
amen to that VT3C - that is the cleanest sol i have seen
if i didnt need a practical car i would jump on it in a heartbeat lol

are you selling the wheels with the car?
if not are u interested in selling them separately? lol

Ovais
01-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Yo man the del sol awesome car the gearing is awesome and gives good fuel consumption even in heavy traffic. it attracts all the right attention. i have had people step outta there cars and come pass my car n ask what car is it. i have debadged myne. and sitting real low as the car is on coilovers and have fitted recaros outta of a DC2 Type R so the feel is even better. but yeah awesome car to go with. heres what myne looks like currently only has CF boot n side mirrors but i also have CF bonnet. `

GormzZ
01-04-2011, 04:18 PM
i see where your coming from vtec.. but i will pick up this del sol for dirt cheap.. but at this point 1 out of the 2 im looking at is very easy fix with front bar and bonnet.. and the other one involves most windows nearly costing me 1200 and then the roof.. and its driveable.. but still has rims and kit on it etc.. but yeah whats roofs for a delsol going these days? oem or even a aftermarket one which is cheaper?

GormzZ
01-04-2011, 04:20 PM
nice ride too ovais.. i will definitely be doing carbon fibre mods to it in the future.. also wheres some good websites to buy del sol parts.. e.g coilys, engine performance parts and so forth?

davidvtec
01-04-2011, 07:14 PM
nice ride too ovais.. i will definitely be doing carbon fibre mods to it in the future.. also wheres some good websites to buy del sol parts.. e.g coilys, engine performance parts and so forth?

Jdmyard :)

There a trader on this forum, and a few others that can assist you. You can try the marketplace 'Parts for sale' to grab a bargain

GormzZ
03-04-2011, 07:12 PM
cheers mate.. can't seem to find anywhere in relation to getting windscreens and door windows etc.. any help on that guys? really need to source stuff first before i jump into it..

TheSaint
03-04-2011, 07:43 PM
carbonfibre windscreen? or windows? - and u definatly dont wanna do ur doors unless u have a cage ... can anyone say SIDE IMPACT

GormzZ
03-04-2011, 07:59 PM
nahh i mean the actual glass windscreen, door glass windows etc.. and source a rear glass windscreen for this del sol.. i just can't find anywhere to buy these sort've parts from? local shops are charging 580 just for the rear windscreen for a del sol! ridiculous.. hoping the other glass windows/windscreen i can pick up for cheap if they are the same as a EG..

VT3C
04-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Yeah that was my point exactly. .your "cheap" del sol wont be so cheap after you source half of it from the wreckers. .and you will fok half the seals etc when you remove them or try to rie install.. seals are 1400-2000 plus !! thee aint a whole lot of Del Sol's around the place to wreck.. so best to look overseas etc.. just trying to save you hassle bro.. you will regret taking that approach. you get what you pay for.

you might be better off buying 2 x cheap-ass Del Sols and making one GOOD one out of the two.. then you still have to paint it $,$$$... then pretty soon you've spent more than you would have by just buying a decent one to start with.

dc292177917
04-04-2011, 01:03 PM
i know that some member was selling his seals...
the best way is still welding the roof up if u dont open the roof that often,
since i had my car i opened it twice only. i reckon del sols look better with roof on anyway lol.
reason being why 1) cbf wasting my effort 2) i dont wanna give up chassis rigidity

GormzZ
04-04-2011, 08:52 PM
yeah that is fair enough, how hard is it to source a del sol roof anyway? otherwise is best bet just to weld in a custom roof myself? and painting/bodywork i can do myself.. so thats the least of my worries.. its only the windows and roof im worried about at this point... if anyone can lead me in the right direction of a wreckers with a eg civic, crx or del sol.. prefferably in brisbane or queensland at least.. that would be much appreciated (details needed also)

dc292177917
05-04-2011, 12:10 AM
do u hv the roof itself actually?
give a search in ebay i know that there's a famous wrecker in QLD hving some JDM delsol's parts lying around

VT3C
05-04-2011, 09:50 AM
OMG welding up the roof to the chassis ? whoa THAT is craziness !! completely destroy any resale value etc ! MADNESS !

dougie_504
05-04-2011, 12:43 PM
To me that defeats the purpose of getting a targa! Just buy an EG6 or EK4 instead!

GormzZ
05-04-2011, 05:48 PM
@dc292177917, yeah mate i'll have to check ebay out.. as i'm not having much luck with finding some import wreckers in qld.. really dont want to have to drive to brisbane to go searching.. internet just not comprehending with me lol.

@others, yeah im aware in this case.. i would prefer the targa by itself.. but if i can't obtain myself one at all due to rarity or costing more then what its worth then i might as well just weld a new piece of steel in their as both my first and second car were sunroof then targa top... but i would prefer the targa top if i can find one for cheap.. help me!

dc292177917
05-04-2011, 11:35 PM
i like del sol becoz of its shape
the man-power roof isn't a selling point to me lol

TheSaint
06-04-2011, 10:36 AM
personally i dont like targas - the honda crx del sol, the nissan nx and the toyora supra all have fail roofs - the Sw20 MR2 on the other hand - now thats a thing of beauty

personally i dont like the shape of the del sol - mutch prefer the civic/integra - i hate the interior as well lol - BUT they handle amazingly and have surprising performance for a car targeted at middle aged females lol

imo opinion they should have called it just 'del sol' because it doenst look anything like what a CRX should =/

GormzZ
10-04-2011, 12:02 PM
yeah held up at the moment.. will have to wait for a bit longer for a crx or del sol.. or settle with a h22a vtec prelude.. just want my honda!

EG5VTI
28-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Any updates mate???

CivicEGSI
29-07-2011, 08:25 AM
yeah man.. if i buy it.. i will rip of the gay rims.. put on some nice jdm 17" wheels or something.. lower it on some coilys.. rip of kit and put oem kit on.. or something not so ricey.. and make it all motor after that..

ohh sweet! does that mean front bar, hood, guards etc would nearly line up? its only from the dash back that is different?

*15" ;)

kraiye
02-08-2011, 11:43 PM
*15" ;)
*16" :p
if the choice is between b16 with body kit or b18 without body kit... take to b18!!