PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil

_bORdO_
31-03-2011, 10:38 PM
you guys are probably sick of threads like this but here goes.

Just curious,
Has anyone used this before? word on the street is its out preforming any other synthetic engine oil.

Times coming for my next service...
Would prefer info from people who have used this and/or recommend something better... preferably group 4 or 5 oil.

aaronng - if your out there, input from you would be appreciated :thumbsup:

tiny bit of background. Car has almost ran 170xxxkms & clearly using any 5w-30 is out of the question.

found this
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?122336-AMSOIL-Synthetic...-Interesting-Observation&highlight=amsoil

but theres not much input on it.

_bORdO_
01-04-2011, 11:17 PM
really?
no one?

dougie_504
02-04-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't know anything about Amsoil, but what do you use the car for?

Super-DA9
02-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Amsoil is american right? try team-integra.net, the yanks will probably be using it more then us.

_bORdO_
03-04-2011, 11:12 AM
I don't know anything about Amsoil, but what do you use the car for?
Its an every day car with a few performance mods.

Amsoil is american right? try team-integra.net, the yanks will probably be using it more then us.
I was thinking that i should jump on some USA forum.

Meh anyway team i decided to go with motul 300V 10w40 chrono since there was not alot of info on amsoil usage with integras or just any hondas. plus no distributor aussie bound

dougie_504
03-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Its an every day car with a few performance mods.

For a daily driver I'm sure this will be fine. If you want to protect your engine internals as a priority I would recommend Royal Purple, but for DD I don't think it's really worth it.

_bORdO_
03-04-2011, 03:21 PM
I considered this, so I tried looking for it and was soon convinced there's no where in melb that sells RP hahaha

flipfire
03-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Popular in the US

but ive only heard good things about their oil filters

Tai
04-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Used it in my B18cR and K20a2 and was nothing but happy with it.

Cheap and works well.

Got it form a supplier in Melb. Forgot the name will try and dig it up later.

dougie_504
04-04-2011, 05:07 PM
How much was it for a 5L bottle? Were your cars daily driven or track? Sound interesting!

_bORdO_
04-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Supposed to be incredible stuff... seen it sell for $12 quarter gallon 3 months ago - for the life in me i couldnt tell u what web page that was on.
And yeh there oil filters are also supposed to b A1... supposed to be really efficient & last between 10-15 thousand miles filtering with synthetic fibers.

Would be grouse if you could dig it up Tai
https://www.amsoil.com/products/oil_airfilters/EAO_ExplodedFilter_900px.jpg

Tai
05-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Got mine from here.

http://www.lubricationmanagement.com.au/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=55

Used the synchro mesh stuff.

did well on track for me as well

Vvvtec
05-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Got mine from here.

http://www.lubricationmanagement.com.au/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=55

Used the synchro mesh stuff.

did well on track for me as well

Your a legend!

Excuse the noob question, but this oil seems to only come in 946ml bottles?

http://www.lubricationmanagement.com.au/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=34

Seems a little more pricey than the Royal Purple I'm using now.

Vvvtec
05-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Also what model oil filter suits my B18c?

dougie_504
05-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Z79A oil filter (code for all brands).

I suggest Honda OEM filters.

_bORdO_
05-04-2011, 10:33 PM
In America, their top up bottles are sold as quarter gallon... 1 gallon being 3.8 liters.
They don't sell in 5L like we do in the AU but im sure they have 1 or 2 gallon bottles.

Found this but not sure if this delivers to AU... although the page does say 'international'
http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motor-oil-engine-oil

theres a variety of different sizes including boxes

Vvvtec
05-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Bordo, we got the same cars man! :D

Yeah I'm really curious, quiet tempted to try this stuff out as i'm changing my oil next week.

I've also read alot of good things about this Redline (I THINK that's what its called), the Nulon oil?

_bORdO_
05-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Hey there Vvvtec:wave:

i think nulon and redline are 2 different brands...
Yeh defiantly interested in this brand just getting it here is a different story ahaha!

ill have to wait til next oil change though now :(
just bought 6L worth of motul 300v chrono bc i was impatient and i needed to change my oil.

Also interested in there MTF oil - i have a tiny bit of a crunch when going in2 third, hopefully this could help

Vvvtec
05-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Yeah, I'm sure in time it will become easier to get hold off, but right now it's a bit of a misson.

Im tempted to get it from taht link Tai posted, but it works out to be actually more expensive than 5L of Royal Purple... So I think Im gonna stick to RP for this change, and work out how to get 5L of this AMSoil in time for the next change in 5000k's time.

I'm actually more interested in their MTF, Ive read nothing but good stuff about it. My 'box is pristine though, so I'm keen to put the best in it to keep it that way!

dougie_504
05-04-2011, 11:13 PM
I sent an e-mail to the AUS distributor of Amsoil to see if their listed 10W-40 motorcycle oil is also suitable for cars (this might have been a stupid question lol) because I'm also interested in trying it now.

Bordo, we got the same cars man! :D

Yeah I'm really curious, quiet tempted to try this stuff out as i'm changing my oil next week.

I've also read alot of good things about this Redline (I THINK that's what its called), the Nulon oil?

I've heard Redline is good for your GBox if you drive it hard or have a few crunches. My friend swears it extended the life of this GBox by another 10,000 KMs.

_bORdO_
05-04-2011, 11:28 PM
I sent an e-mail to the AUS distributor of Amsoil to see if their listed 10W-40 motorcycle oil is also suitable for cars (this might have been a stupid question lol) because I'm also interested in trying it now.

LOL HARD!! i looked at the 10w-40 and saw it read motorcycle oil and was like blah?

as soon as they get back to you on that one post it up dougie~!

Vvvtec
05-04-2011, 11:40 PM
LOL HARD!! i looked at the 10w-40 and saw it read motorcycle oil and was like blah?

as soon as they get back to you on that one post it up dougie~!

x2 rearding Paul's sentiments :)

I figure RP has an excellent reputation, and it's done nothing but good to my engine, so i'll stick by it one more change atleast