PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] K&N vs. Blitz vs. Spoon vs. Mugen - replacement panel air filter

tonysalib
01-04-2011, 01:26 PM
I was browsing on the HeelToe Auto website (http://www.heeltoeauto.com/) and noticed there is actually a wide variety (http://www.heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=1730)of options when it comes to a drop-in replacement panel air filter for the CL9 Euro.

They do however vary quite a bit in terms of price so I was wondering if anyone here tried more than one and can suggest their favorite.

Is it actually worth paying for a more expensive one or do they all do pretty much the same job and sticking with the mainstream K&N would be the best value for money?

In order of price
(prices are in AUD not including postage):
K&N - $42.35
Blitz - $49.00
Spoon - $95.55
Mugen - $138.00

Tai
01-04-2011, 01:34 PM
KnN does the job and can be washed and reused

damienm
01-04-2011, 07:15 PM
just get a K&N.. look at the prices of the others.. damn rip off and its just a filter haha

MR_LATE
01-04-2011, 07:17 PM
extra 90$ for the words mugen wow.
ive got k&n

90LAN
01-04-2011, 10:50 PM
i got k&N

tony1234
02-04-2011, 07:40 AM
i got k&N

Me too

Fredoops
02-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Unles mugen Is made out of gold.... K&n

MR_LATE
02-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Unles mugen Is made out of gold.... K&n

with u on that one

rayd17
02-04-2011, 01:31 PM
with u on that one

wheres the best spot to get one of these?

is there any noticeable difference in power and economy or a waste of money?

charliebrown
02-04-2011, 01:34 PM
^ebay usa. usually about half the price you can get from aus

if you're gonna replace your air filter, might as well get a k&n one... it's washable/reusable, only for an extra few bucks.
not really any noticable difference in power or economy

WarrenM
03-04-2011, 11:08 AM

I just replaced my Euro CU2 filter with a K&N, expecting a modest subtle improvement. It was not modest. It was not subtle! Feels like a bigger engine.

I paid full Australian price which is about $140! If you can wait for the few extra days, buy from the US - the discounting there off the US RRP about pays for the shipping, so it ends up less than half price. Make sure you get the correct model though, as you are not looking for a Honda Accord filter but an Acura TSX filter! The filter maintenance pack costs about $30 here, so you might want to buy one of those from your chosen US discounter at the same time.

Cheers,
Warren

Fredoops
03-04-2011, 12:04 PM
I just replaced my Euro CU2 filter with a K&N, expecting a modest subtle improvement. It was not modest. It was not subtle! Feels like a bigger engine.

I paid full Australian price which is about $140! If you can wait for the few extra days, buy from the US - the discounting there off the US RRP about pays for the shipping, so it ends up less than half price. Make sure you get the correct model though, as you are not looking for a Honda Accord filter but an Acura TSX filter! The filter maintenance pack costs about $30 here, so you might want to buy one of those from your chosen US discounter at the same time.

Cheers,
Warren

I've got K&N on mine, not much difference, I recken 1/2 of the difference you felt was from the fact it's a clean filter :-)

You'd be surprised how much gunk it collects.

WarrenM
03-04-2011, 12:33 PM
I've got K&N on mine, not much difference, I recken 1/2 of the difference you felt was from the fact it's a clean filter :-)

It could also be that the CU2 Luxury really does stress the 2.4i engine in a way that the CL9 doesn't. Whatever the reason, there was a palpable difference in acceleration, especially up hills in 1st and 2nd gear.

Regards
Warren

mikey72
03-04-2011, 12:38 PM
I know you're not really looking for a pod mate but this test performed by Autosalon magazine tests 10 pods for filtration and air flow. Being that manufacturers generally use the same material throughout all there products you should be able to get a pretty good idea on what to buy.

LINKY:

http://www.3aracing.com.au/HTML%20Folder/Images/Air%20Filter%20Shoot%20Out.pdf

MR_LATE
04-04-2011, 08:54 AM

hi raymond lol

WarrenM
04-04-2011, 09:09 AM

The air filter had been changed at about 20K - I switched to the K&N at below 25K. There was certainly lots of evidence of the previous filter working but it was certainly not filthy or clogged. I doubt it was running much below optimum before I changed over to the K&N.

CU2 Euro 09
04-04-2011, 09:45 AM
I know you're not really looking for a pod mate but this test performed by Autosalon magazine tests 10 pods for filtration and air flow. Being that manufacturers generally use the same material throughout all there products you should be able to get a pretty good idea on what to buy.

LINKY:

http://www.3aracing.com.au/HTML%20Folder/Images/Air%20Filter%20Shoot%20Out.pdf

After reading that article the 3A Racing filter seems the go. Do they make one for the CU2?

WarrenM
04-04-2011, 11:06 AM
After reading that article the 3A Racing filter seems the go. Do they make one for the CU2?

From what I can see, they only make cylindrical racing filters. You would need to install a complete racing intake to allow it to be used. I guess that is not what you are looking for! The K&N is probably the best of the "drop in" replacement filters.

mikey72
04-04-2011, 03:46 PM
K&N is best drop in, you shouldn't need to setup a full system to drop in a pod, just a pod filter adaptor :)