PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox/Whining Woes

zhong
04-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Hello All,

I thought I'd ask the better of the community to share their knowledge for the S2000 gearbox/engine whining issues...

I had my S for about a year now, and I have changed out majority of the parts (purely wear and tear and a bit of no lovin from previous owner). But I still haven't managed to eliminate something that really annoys me, and somewhat makes it a bit embarasssing..

Basically, I have this HIGH PITCH WHINE, which is 100% dependant on the REV (higher the rev, higher the pitch) - Initially, I thoguht it could've been one of the bearings up front being noisy... I replaced most of them, tested all of them and it didn't make a difference. Tried spraying them with silicone bla bla you name it, I've tried it - NO EFFECT.

Recently read up on the secondary (rear?) output shaft bearing being worn (due to oil starvation?) As it seems it's quite common with the AP1s... Has anyone else ever had this problem and fixed it? Because I would like to hear about it. Can I change the major culprit without opening the box, removing it from the car etc.. basically whatever is easier!

I wanna know what parts I need to fix it, and how much labour is involved (to determine whether I want to do it myself or have a mech do it).. Mainly due to time/tool restrictions..

Your information would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I also heard this new whine develop (only on cold start ups) probably from the air pump, but I'll post a video on that later.. It's not a high pitched whine, but more of a WHURR.. it sounds like a piece of ribbon stuck halfway inside a vacumn cleaner, just flapping or something...

Peace.

jrstyles
04-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Hello All,

P.S. I also heard this new whine develop (only on cold start ups) probably from the air pump, but I'll post a video on that later.. It's not a high pitched whine, but more of a WHURR.. it sounds like a piece of ribbon stuck halfway inside a vacumn cleaner, just flapping or something...

Peace.

lol not being a smartalloc or anything but are you running an aftermarket intake? Because i am and during my startup it gets pretty windy down there! Or maybe you have something stuck in the filter? ;S

zhong
04-04-2011, 10:56 AM
lol yeah I am.. but that's not causing the noise, as the intake was the first thing I changed when I got it... It only developed recently.. And it goes away, after the air pump stops.... :P Thanks for your input though.

AusS2000
04-04-2011, 12:58 PM
It goes away when the air pump stops? Ever considered it might be the air pump? Pumping.

As to the secondary bearings, they can be changed without opening the box. Just drop the rear section off and disassemble. I recently did this. Requires some tools and some heating and is probably best left to your mechanic. You need the three (IIRC) bearings in the secondary housing and the rear seal.

Turned out to be my diff however. :banghead:

See this thread for all the details:
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/794843-transmission-whining-humming/page__st__25__p__19066562__hl__secondary+bearings+ auss2000__fromsearch__1#entry19066562

zhong
04-04-2011, 01:19 PM
^ Thanks for the reply Aus, I read it up on s2ki.. Was your noise more of a WHINE or was it more of a CHATTER? I have this annoying high pitch "ring" that can be heard when I drive next to a wall, noticeable when decelerating in gear (when rev > 1000).. I don't really hear it on idle... Could anyone guess what it could be?

I initially thought it was my tensioner/idler pulleys, but i replaced them and the noise persists.. Could it be other pulleys? ie. Aircon compressor/waterpump? Doesn't really affect the performance or driveability, just very whiney... I think 3AM on here also has the same problem, he has a clip somewhere on youtube. I'll link it.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY-8XDzxhfs

P.S. How much did those bearings cost ya Aus? I might just change it anyway to try to eliminate that factor...

Peace.

AusS2000
04-04-2011, 02:56 PM
$2-300 iirc.

zhong
04-04-2011, 05:17 PM
What is IIRC?

AusS2000
04-04-2011, 05:19 PM
If I Remember Correctly

zhong
04-04-2011, 05:20 PM
KT (Okay, Thanks.) :angel:

zhong
07-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Okay, so it seems that it's not my gearbox that is making the noise... Here's what I discovered. Please note that I am talking about 2 different "whines/whurrs"..

1. Cold start Whirring - During coldstart (like early morning cold), my secondary air pump would engage with the high pitched jet sound (normal).. But whilst this occurs, I notice a WHURRING that is consistent with my RPM.. It goes away after the car heats up (not when the secondary air pump stops), so if i were to drive straight off the start, it will be WHURRING - but when it heats up, it goes away. I recently serviced my car, so it isn't oil levels nor any vacumn leak (ill need to double check this one)

a. Can the thermostat make such noises if it becomes worn? Maybe it's leaking, and coolant passes through it, causing it to whur because it's not COMPLETELY open at cold start?
b. Is it related to my TCT? Or its guides etc? The whur sounds like when you running a remote controlled car, and it's on its last legs of battery life, a very lazy WHUUU - sort of sounds like something is flowing through something, it's not a smooth whurr, it's more like a rumble whur.
c. Could it be my alternator causing such sound? Although it stops after it warms up i don't think so.

2. The high pitch whining noticeable whilst down gearing.... More like a ringing (constant throughout rev) - definately audible from the engine bay, and not the box.

Any help would be appreciated.

MrJohn
08-04-2011, 02:08 PM
hey i was browsing around s2ki and i found this
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/681492-common-s2000-problemssolutions-1999-2009/
might help u abit

zhong
08-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks for that, but no, it didn't help me with my problem.

Mind due though, I drove next to another S yesterday, and his engine sounds like mine... I'm not alone afterall.. LOL

Rubes
08-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Might be a waste of a post, as I'm not that technical and this is probably wrong but power steering fluid might be low and it's sucking air (high pitched noise) in until after the car is driven a bit the fluid is flowing evenly. If isn't related then ignore my post lol

AusS2000
08-04-2011, 06:19 PM
You're right, that was a waste of a post.

The S2000 has electronic power steering = no fluid.

zhong
08-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Unfortunately, your post is a waste.

Because we have EPS - Electronic Power Steering hence no fluid.

EDIT: ^Damn beat me to it

AusS2000
08-04-2011, 06:34 PM
He he! Gotta be quick around here.

Rubes
09-04-2011, 02:38 PM
haha thought so. My car made a high pitched whirring sound and it was the power steering pump sucking in air. Anyway hope you figure it out!

pilotb777_300
11-04-2011, 09:13 AM
I had the same whine in my S2000. It was 100% RPM dependent. I took it to a number of honda dealerships and all said it was normal. I didnt belive them untill I went on an S2000 cruise and found most other S2000's made the same noise. it sounded almost like an alternator whine of some sorts. Anyways I drove the car around for a year with this noise and I had no issues. towards the end my brain just learned to tune it out of my hearing ! lol I had my S2000 for 1.5 years and the one thing I learned about that car is it makes a lot of unexplained noises ! everything from the engine to the gear box to the diff. It was just a noisy car and most of the noise was normal (due to no sound proofing ) Anyways back to driving a euro again now and its like driving a car with ear plugs on compared to the S2000. Its dead quite !

AusS2000
11-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Not having a roof might have something to do with it also.

pilotb777_300
11-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Not having a roof might have something to do with it also.

LOL funny u mention that... I actually used to drive with the roof down most of the time as I found the ouside noise used to mask the cars mechanical noise quit well. I'm naturally a very obsessive compulsive type person with my cars and it used to drive me insane being in the car with the roof and windows closed hearing all those mechanical noise. I hate remembering how many times I've been to honda dealerships asking about strange noises coming out of the car !

AusS2000
11-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Personally I like being in touch with the sounds my car makes, not cocooned from it. They are an early indication of problems and should be listened to.

zhong
11-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Yep I agree with the roof off masking alot of sounds... But for what it's worth, it's probably normal ish - as I do hear this sound from other S2's as well...

I recently changed my oil to Castrol Edge 5w30 - and my oh my, what a difference it makes to the smoothness of the engine - compared to Mobil 1 anyway..

While I was doing that, I adjusted my valves - a few were off, some were tight some where loose.. But my oh my again, it made a HUGE difference. Response is better, and it is OH SO QUIET... Idles perfect, purrs through every gear. Although I still get that "whining", but I rkn it's just that she misses the VTEC. I guess I'll stop complaining until another sound emerges.

I'm really thinking about adding a snail to the thing, just so she has the extra company and it can act as a sound mask as well.. lol I'd rather a nice suction sound than a jetsons buzzing anyday!

P.S. Aus, from what I've read - your turbo'd right? Are you in VIC? EDIT: No your not... Say's your "Location" LOL

Peace.

AusS2000
11-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Turbo yes, Melb no! Sydney FTW!!!

I was SC for a while then upgraded to turbo.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/303328-blow-me-epii/page__hl__blow+me+epii

zhong
11-04-2011, 05:55 PM
^^^ Good stuff.. Might need to hit you up with a PM when I'm gonna slaper on! I'm collecting bits and peices at the moment.

You got anything left over that might be of use?

AusS2000
11-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Umm, just a Vortech FMU to raise fuel pressure proportionately to boost.

s2kjn
12-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Turbo yes, Melb no! Sydney FTW!!!

I was SC for a while then upgraded to turbo.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/303328-blow-me-epii/page__hl__blow+me+epii

^^^Can I just say that is an epic read!

AusS2000
12-04-2011, 03:51 PM
You're welcome.

The car is really loving this cold weather too. Cooler denser air means more power and cold temperature means the tyres take longer to heat up. Lots of 3rd gear wheel spin. Yeee hawwww!!!

zhong
13-04-2011, 03:19 PM
^Do you have any videos to share? I'm curious to hear what it sounds like..