PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like Stage 2 VTEC on a Jazz??

EG52NV
04-04-2011, 07:34 PM
So I've been reading that VTEC on a Jazz kicks in between 2300 and 3600rpm and if i concentrate hard enough I can notice it too, (car is a completely stock GD3 VTi-S) but the weirdest thing is for some reason when the revs reach around 6000rpm the engine makes a more noticeable cross noise, as if VTEC had just kicked in, starting from 6000rpm, do you guys hear this when you drive? Or is this just the engine screaming in pain coz its nearing redline lol

flipfire
04-04-2011, 07:46 PM
http://asia.vtec.net/Reviews/JazzVtec/15VTEC.jpg

Kicks in a 3.5k

EG52NV
05-04-2011, 01:20 PM
http://asia.vtec.net/Reviews/JazzVtec/15VTEC.jpg

Kicks in a 3.5k

Dude I know, but the whole point of my question was do you guys also hear a change in engine note after 6000rpm?

fillit
07-04-2011, 02:31 PM
when my car hits 6000rpm it almost sounds flat and the engine has nothing left to give, only ever done it once out of curiosity.

EG52NV
07-04-2011, 03:33 PM
when my car hits 6000rpm it almost sounds flat and the engine has nothing left to give, only ever done it once out of curiosity.

What only once? And just out of curiosity? Man coming from a D16Y1 and B16A civic, when I drive the Jazz if im gonna boot it I take it all the way to redline... And because of that i've noticed, after 6000rpm the engine note changes just like B series VTEC crossover and now I'm wondering WTF that is....

gre03
07-04-2011, 03:40 PM
ot but, I sometimes get a weird noise from i think my tranny when changing gear. would the effect/damage to the tranny be amplified at higher/6k revs? My noob reasoning be that gears/moving parts are revving much faster so for example and gear grinding would be amplified. probs a stupid question, but thought i'd ask :o

fillit
07-04-2011, 08:20 PM
What only once? And just out of curiosity? Man coming from a D16Y1 and B16A civic, when I drive the Jazz if im gonna boot it I take it all the way to redline... And because of that i've noticed, after 6000rpm the engine note changes just like B series VTEC crossover and now I'm wondering WTF that is....

i only did it once as i found i received the most amount of drag at around 4k - 5.5k range, when i hit 6000 it felt as though the peak torque has already been reached and there was nothing left.

fillit
07-04-2011, 08:24 PM
ot but, I sometimes get a weird noise from i think my tranny when changing gear. would the effect/damage to the tranny be amplified at higher/6k revs? My noob reasoning be that gears/moving parts are revving much faster so for example and gear grinding would be amplified. probs a stupid question, but thought i'd ask :o

yes driving your car at a higher rpm will wear the engine/gears out faster.. as for the weird noise it's probably because the cvt transmission is dropping down a few gears when you plant your foot and the engagement of a lower gear at a high rpm will cause a weird noise, it's sorta like slotting the car from 2nd to 1st in a manual when it's revving at 3k rpm (you would hear some grinding noise, not preferable)

EG52NV
08-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Update, my friend took the Jazz for a drive and we now both agree the engine note changes around 5500rpm.. Can feel any extra pull coz it's like 1000rpm off redline..

I'm hoping when intake and exhaust goes in I can hear it better and maybe put video up lol