PDA

View Full Version : S2000 AEM EMS - Advice and Input Needed..

VeYzZii
06-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Hey guys. I been typing my fingers off trying to find a good thread about these stand-alones, but cant find s**t. What i want to see is Dyno sheets before and after, or someone that has run this either NA or FI to tell me what they think, and how the car feels and goes with it (it words or numbers...)

For background my S2000 is NA with basic mods: Headers, Exhaust, CAI, Ported and Polished Heads, and 4.77 Final Drive. And im looking to get the Series 1.

Cheers in Advance..

vyets
06-04-2011, 07:35 PM
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&andor_type=&sid=2321b70efd38b9d3639a0b3d79455768&search_term=aem+ems&search_app=forums&st=0

:)

Numbers depends on the tuner

VeYzZii
06-04-2011, 07:43 PM
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&andor_type=&sid=2321b70efd38b9d3639a0b3d79455768&search_term=aem+ems&search_app=forums&st=0

:)

Numbers depends on the tuner

Open them up, their either for sale, promoting or just B.S..

What i dont understand is people are paying 1300+ (new) for these , ECUs and only gaining 10 whp..? Where as some people claim theyve had 15whp boosts on a VAFC..?? :S :S

lzybum
06-04-2011, 08:07 PM
if your looking on getting an ecu to couple with your basic mods, get the emanage ultimate.
it should be more than enough considering its ability to tune for partial throttle as well as full throttle.

afaik, VAFC is only for full throttle tuning?

a standalone on a basic modded NA is overkill imo.

VeYzZii
06-04-2011, 08:27 PM
if your looking on getting an ecu to couple with your basic mods, get the emanage ultimate.
it should be more than enough considering its ability to tune for partial throttle as well as full throttle.

afaik, VAFC is only for full throttle tuning?

a standalone on a basic modded NA is overkill imo.

I currently have the AFC NEO, which does full throttle, and also low throttle tuning..

But what i dont understand is when you say overkill.. If people claim 15 whp gains on the VAFC or Neo im pretty sure more can be achieved with a tune on a stand alone ECU, right? 15 whp is a fair bit of a gain for an NA..

lzybum
06-04-2011, 08:55 PM
what i meant by overkill is,

if you've got basic mods, then a piggyback ecu should do the trick.
no point spending 1k+ on an ecu where a piggyback could do fairly similar.

now if you say that ppl claim a 15whp gain with the piggybacks, how much more hp are u expecting a standalone to gain? 30whp gain?

and again, going on vyets point, numbers depends on how good the tuner is and obviously the conditions (temp, humidity blah blah etc...)

imo, it doesnt seem very convincing to go standalone unless you've gone FI or a mad NA build with stroker kit, cams, itbs etc..
but again thats just me lol

VeYzZii
06-04-2011, 09:48 PM
imo, it doesnt seem very convincing to go standalone unless you've gone FI or a mad NA build with stroker kit, cams, itbs etc..
but again thats just me lol

That's exactly why I started thread. To see what people think. On the topic if I get 30whp gain that would be awesome. A piggy back will cost as much as a stand alone in my case. I'll be buying a used one. All up incl tuning it should be under 1.2. Also all the little features That the aem can do like launch control and all will slowly pay up wouldn't it..

lzybum
06-04-2011, 10:11 PM
if its gona cost you the same, might as well go the standalone! *thumbs up*

AusS2000
06-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Here's the thing. Most cars are pretty conservatively tuned. Not the S. Most cars come with pretty rudimentary intake and exhaust systems. Not the S.

So any benefits you can get from IHE and tuning 'upgrades' are minimal.

Now the sort of crowd that subscribes to the 3 figure piggybacks is the same crowd that thinks a slight aberration in the dyno plot equals 30hp.

The sort that pay over a grand for an ECU are a tad more scrutinous of the dyno plot.

Here's the truth:
A VAFC will get you a few hp in some areas of the graph on an AP1 due to leaning out the fuel. An AEM will get you a few more by leaning out the fuel and adjusting the timing, but you still won't get 30hp.

BUT, an AEM (or similar) is needed if you go FI.

VeYzZii
06-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Here's the thing. Most cars are pretty conservatively tuned. Not the S. Most cars come with pretty rudimentary intake and exhaust systems. Not the S.

So any benefits you can get from IHE and tuning 'upgrades' are minimal.

Now the sort of crowd that subscribes to the 3 figure piggybacks is the same crowd that thinks a slight aberration in the dyno plot equals 30hp.

The sort that pay over a grand for an ECU are a tad more scrutinous of the dyno plot.

Here's the truth:
A VAFC will get you a few hp in some areas of the graph on an AP1 due to leaning out the fuel. An AEM will get you a few more by leaning out the fuel and adjusting the timing, but you still won't get 30hp.

BUT, an AEM (or similar) is needed if you go FI.

I see.. Hmmm. Well what do you reckon will be a nice substitute in modification for my S... Personal question.

AusS2000
06-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Fi!!!!!

VeYzZii
06-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Fi!!!!!

Yea thought-so.. LOL I wanna do it so bad man! In time. Cheers for help AUS and lzybum!