PDA

View Full Version : timing belt replacement?

mugen_ctr
07-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Hey peeps, the car just clicked over 155,00kms, an my dad brought up the question of servicing, not minor but major...

I figured id leave that till it hits 180,000kms, but for the mean time, is it best to replace the timing belt at these sorts of kms? is it too high or too low? Im not sure of the previous servicing, id have to double check...

xclusive_eg8
07-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Major services are normally done at 100xxx intervals. So your in the middle of two lol. Might aswell just do it, you never know when it might snap and stuff your internals up

davidvtec
07-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Timing belts are usually replaced every 80,000-100,000. When was yours last replaced?

jks24
07-04-2011, 07:25 PM
every 80-100k or 5years whatever comes first is what they recommend. For peace of mind we always replace the timing belt first thing after we purchase a car unless it has been done recently by the previous owner/s. Back when I had my EK1 it was a 9year old car when I got it however the owner had never changed the timing belt because the car had only travelled 81000kms. I got it changed straight away and it was so close to snapping it wasnt funny. Better to be safe then sorry change it :)

mugen_ctr
07-04-2011, 07:31 PM
to be honest, i dont think the last owner never done the major service lol.... picked up the car at 138,000kms which is why im very contemplating on doing the actual major service soon

can anyone give a break down whats involved? and doable at home or leave it to the mech?

BUT... I changed the spark plugs an fluids not too long ago... around 145,000kms, only thing i can think of that needs changing is the timing belt, and maybe water pump...
Ive also changed the cv boots, as they split not to long ago... brake fluids as well, since i went to rear disc brakes...

jks24
07-04-2011, 07:35 PM
to be honest, i dont think the last owner never done the major service lol.... picked up the car at 138,000kms which is why im very contemplating on doing the actual major service soon

can anyone give a break down whats involved? and doable at home or leave it to the mech?

damm dont you have/check your logbooks? I would be changing it asap dude..

mugen_ctr
07-04-2011, 07:38 PM
prbs should of LOL... will check asap!

mugen_ctr
07-04-2011, 07:44 PM
ok apparently there was a 100,000kms service, but doesnt state what sort of service, but it was done at honda service, from 138,000km onwards, besides what i said, jus the usual oil change + filter and top up was a home job

davidvtec
07-04-2011, 08:58 PM
If you've never changed a timing belt before yourself. Best to leave it to mechanic.

And in imo, change the belt. For peace of mind :)

mugen_ctr
07-04-2011, 09:11 PM
If you've never changed a timing belt before yourself. Best to leave it to mechanic.

And in imo, change the belt. For peace of mind :)

agreed :) will do that some time next week, thanks everyone

cya_eg
07-04-2011, 09:17 PM
timin belts on honda is usually the 100000km mark but belts can go longer but no really recommend cos u dont no when they snap.if the book is stamped at the 100000km mark by honda then most likey it was done but hard 2 tell without the invoice. should just do it just in case and also the water pump too, since it all apart. it's all doable at home but the only pain u will hav is the crank pully since the b/d series engine spins the other way, it's kind of tightens the bolt up really well (correct me if i'm wrong) n is a pain 2 get loose if u dont no wat u r doin.

trism
08-04-2011, 09:32 AM
If it was stamped by Honda, you should be able to ring the dealership and ask them if the timing belt was done. They would still have it on record.

If it has been done then you're sweet.

If not, do the timing belt and tensioner, crank and cam seals, water pump. Basically replace everything in that area of the motor.

The last thing you want is to replace the timing belt alone, then have to pull it apart again 6 months down the track to replace a seal.

curtis265
08-04-2011, 10:23 AM
I had this dilemma too.. The mechanic 'inspected' everything and replaced only the belt.. hmmmmmmm.

mugen_ctr
08-04-2011, 02:52 PM
If it was stamped by Honda, you should be able to ring the dealership and ask them if the timing belt was done. They would still have it on record.

If not, do the timing belt and tensioner, crank and cam seals, water pump. Basically replace everything in that area of the motor.

The last thing you want is to replace the timing belt alone, then have to pull it apart again 6 months down the track to replace a seal.

sounds a fair bit, the figure is closer to $500 mark isnt it? with labour an parts...

trism
08-04-2011, 06:50 PM
yeah. timing belt kit with seals is prob about 250 bucks

water pump prob around 100

labour, its a big job,

all up itd be around 800 bucks

buy the parts yourself, try to get a discount

get some quotes, go for the cheapest.

mugen_ctr
08-04-2011, 10:12 PM
$800, fair bit considering im on student pay check! LOL... parts definite out source some where else, Honda over prices alot of there parts, to be honest, i really dont care much of branding, as long as it does the job, than its doin its job, so most likey all the parts would be like ryco, or some aftermarket brand

DC2-PWR
08-04-2011, 10:16 PM
B18C timing belt kit + water pump is costing me 700 with labour, 400 in parts 300 in labour

also changing engine mounts, good idea while rear engine mounts need to be out anyway. because its shit job to take rear engine mount out.

dougie_504
09-04-2011, 02:22 PM

+1 totally agree, call dealership first JIC.