PDA

View Full Version : opinions on painting Interior???

DA9-47
09-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Hey guys , i have been playing around with some paint and spare interior bits n pieces n yeh as the title says , wanted to know what peoples opinion is ,
if anyone has done it

thanks

Car is a Da9 with the black interior , so far i painted the two glove boxes and the center console (were the shifter is), the handbrake bit that connects to the center console and the panel under the steering wheel ................ all gloss white!!!!

it came out good just dunno if that enough , or too much

cheers :D

jeremydawg
09-04-2011, 10:27 PM
good stuff... i did my interior for my old car with VHT interior paint. Was quite happy with the results, i recommend you give any parts a really good clean before you spray them to get rid of the dirt and grime.. use thinners. I think around three coats should do for it to last, especially with things like handbrakes that are always used the paint can peel and get ruined real easy so give them a decent amount of coats.

IMO i really cant stand the whole "respray my interior this cool white, red, or blue for a lil sumfin extra zomg" thing thats goin on. Seriously, simple colours that dont stand out look the best just blacks and grey's really. All the other stuff just makes a car look like a poofters handbag.
But thats just my opinion, im not trying to be an ass. If its what you like then go for it :)

DA9-47
10-04-2011, 03:01 AM
Hey cheers bro,
I got the vht paint too lol good shit that stuff,

I know u might not like the white , but just too clear things up, I won't be doing the interior and leavn it at that, want to colour match the car, inside and out,

Truth is I have to wait a week to get cash for parts, so thought what can I do REALLY cheap ( lol ) so decided to paint somthing, then yeah it's cheaper to do interior , also was sick of the stock dull unlively look on inside, wanted to make it more welcoming .

I got a newer B18a1 sitting in the garage nearly ready to go in, just gotta get the usual stuff to have her running smooth on first start.

Ohh and I only did 2 thick coats, but the things I'll touch heaps are staying black-actual handbrake cover, gear knob and boot etc etc so it should be alright yeh? It came up soooo good (IMO) love the gloss , it's not crazy over the top though which is alright.

Cheers mate

jeremydawg
10-04-2011, 09:39 PM
yeah itll be alright 2 coats is fine, it might wear off after a while depending on the paint, if so you can just spray over it again. Cool bananas if ya like it but, just another point though, white will get dirty real quick you always need to keep it as clean as possible. My mate used to have a da9 looked so good, love the interior and it was just stock mostly black. Just remember after a while you get used to a car so its common to want to spice it up different but then youll get used to that too and so on. Ive been through doing that now i look back and think...wth was i thinking?? lol.

So your going non vtec aye! get yourself a b18, may aswell if your gonna do the conversion :)

TheSaint
10-04-2011, 10:26 PM
i use VHT for all my engine/under-car work - i dont pain my interior panels though because i always see it go so wrong
unless you are prepared to do some serious prep work with a big can of wax n grease remover

the worse thing is seeing a painted interior all scuffed and peeling off

i just sanded, undercoated, and sprayed my boot satin black lol

dougie_504
10-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Have moved this to the interior section where hopefully it will attract more of the appropriate attention :)

DA9-47
11-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Have moved this to the interior section where hopefully it will attract more of the appropriate attention :)
Thanks mate , didn't know were to go so I went noob , lol

Cheers

GaDgeT-CRX
11-04-2011, 11:33 AM
If by paint you mean 'dye' the VHT vinyl dye works a treat on textured interior plastics. Best to wipe down surface with turps, then apply a plastics primer before applying.

You can also use 'paint' on the flat surfaces, which also requires prepping the surface by sanding, plastics primer then paint to desired colour.

DA9-47
11-04-2011, 11:37 AM
So your going non vtec aye! get yourself a b18, may aswell if your gonna do the conversion :)

well the B18a1 that was originaly in my teg has 270xxxks, got one with 100xxxks less so , allways wanted to work my DA , and I don't know how to rebuild an engine, so getting a engine better than The original befor I start modding her up was my next idea, but it would be awesome to have v-tec, but just wanna c what I can get off this newer B18A1 with engine, sussy and weight mods, once I get new motor in I will have the old motor to play with if I wanna do ls/vtec later on.

I might do another coat now , I'm scare lol

jeremydawg
11-04-2011, 12:52 PM
oh yeah, good idea! da9's are fun cars, keep the original spirit alive lols.

Anyway back on topic:

Your scared to paint haha, your funny.
Just remember as said above, there are primers for plastics too, if you use just any normal primer it will most likely peel off. As for the vht vinyl dye that should be used for your interior vinyl trim only. If you want to do the plastics just use the plastic primer and vht interior spray. There are other brands out there but for now go with what you know. It is not imperative that you use primer its just that the result and effect will last much longer and will look better.

Also dont forget to wear a respiratory mask when painting. Paint is very bad for you! I recommend spraying indoors in your garage so you wont get dirt or small insects getting blown onto your freshly painted work. Just leave the doors and windows open and you can also pour into bowls some "brown vinegar" this will absorb the fumes and neutralize the air, only if you really cant stand it and want to get rid of the smell before your dad comes home lol.