PDA

View Full Version : d series mods lol

viinnh
09-04-2011, 11:19 PM
hey guys i got a d15b4 on my eg. its a GL eg so dual carby :/ but anyways i just want to mod it around for fun and no intention of getting a new engine anymore because i am a l plater

anyways on topic was wondering waht would give me more powaaaaaaaaa !

does adjustable cam gears do anything ?
does a heavy duty clutch help ? atm my clutch is dieing. when i shift from first to second it jumps to 80 then holds there for about 3 seconds, sounds like the clutch is riding up a hill ..

atm i got
-motor bike filters
-downpipe on headers
-cat
-piping
-straight through cannon.
-carby springs cut
-dizzy cleaned
-new spark plugs and leads

what else is there besides weight reduction ?

jeremydawg
10-04-2011, 08:07 AM
honestly, i wouldnt bother doing mod's. youll be spending money to add like an extra 2kw. It's just a waste of money, may aswell save up for a faster car when your off your p's. Just keep it stock i reckon.

If you are keen on mods though i wouldnt do more than intake. Dont get a heavy duty clutch, it really isnt necessary

trism
10-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Yep, you don't need a fast car on your Ls.

Just replace the clutch with a standard one and leave it.

Focus on things like suspension and handling. If over the 4 years or so of your Ls and Ps you upgrade all the suspension, swaybars, replace bushes etc, upgrade the brakes, all you will need to do when you get your fulls is put a new motor in.

I can tell you right now that if all you want is a faster car, the only thing you'll get is your name on the road toll the first night you get your Ps

jeremydawg
10-04-2011, 10:43 AM
^yes!
Its best to start off with a slow car cause your gonna make really stupid mistakes the first couple years. when youve "broken yourself in" upgrade to something better. Bit by bit like what trism said, upgrade your cars suspension etc and drop in a b18 or h22 later on down the track. Plans change along the years so you never know what your gonna end up with. But i can tell you now, if you waste your money on modding your car you will regret it in the future. :)

p33r
10-04-2011, 10:48 AM
First thing you need to do - replace ur cut springs.

jeremydawg
10-04-2011, 11:15 AM
^yeah thats something you should consider before anything else. Cut springs can be very dangerous

TheSaint
10-04-2011, 11:38 AM
try not to spend too much money

have a good read through my build thread and you will see what you can do with little to no money and build a D series just for fun

its a shame you dont have a Gli - you can do some serious stuff with the D15b7 with little to no cash lol

being carby - you may want to look into the single holly custom intake - theres a few guys in america that are modding the bigger V8 carbies to fit the D15 lol

have a look here - heeps of good info - if you have any questions just pm me

http://www.d-series.org/forums/

jeremydawg
10-04-2011, 02:01 PM
lols saint.
You have a point, if you wanna do it for fun and something different do it. But its still gonna be a slow car. I know having a fast car isnt the main factor of modding but some people do want fast cars, i just hope the OP doesnt think his cars gonna be a rocket after spending money on it lol.
If you look around you can get cheap stuff for your car, theSaint will look after ya!

IMO i dont see the point in doing performance mods over $100 all up to a slow car because its just no fun spending your time and money on a project that will still run like an old lady. Unless you plan on going turbo down the track. Thats the way i see it :)

na-118
10-04-2011, 02:04 PM
wouldnt waste 1 penny on this charles

na-118
10-04-2011, 03:53 PM
lol.....

mugen_ctr
10-04-2011, 04:23 PM
As the saying goes..... learn to drive first :)

Its one thing to mod a car, another to drive the car, its not the car, its the driver that makes the car..... plenty of ppl drive around in high powered cars, an dont know how to drive...

As for mods, theres not much u can do with carby....stick to suspension mods and ill betcha u think twice about power mods.... its more fun going around a corner than going straight line.... at the end of the day, everyone has to do the speed limit, so why bother with power...

dougie_504
10-04-2011, 06:45 PM
@OP: I would recommend just enjoying the engine with what you've done to it. It should be more fun to drive than in it's standard form and I wouldn't suggest pursuing it much further for the usual reasons (d-series, L plates etc). However if you insist on modifying it further you could consider a HD clutch and lightweight flywheel, and maybe a short shifter. These things will change the way the car feels to drive with the way the car revs up etc. But again, only if you insist!

how did you even become a mod? Giving dumb advice like that.

seriously, the guy is on his L plates.

He doesnt need a rocket ship.

At least he has addressed the OP's question and tried to be as helpful as he can. That's probably a big part of why he was asked to be a mod and it's also the purpose of the OH forums! Try to be polite and stay on topic please.

Oz_Striker
10-04-2011, 07:26 PM
As the saying goes..... learn to drive first :)

Its one thing to mod a car, another to drive the car, its not the car, its the driver that makes the car..... plenty of ppl drive around in high powered cars, an dont know how to drive...

As for mods, theres not much u can do with carby....stick to suspension mods and ill betcha u think twice about power mods.... its more fun going around a corner than going straight line.... at the end of the day, everyone has to do the speed limit, so why bother with power...

^^^^^ +1 to that

One thing i'll say from experience, i spent a bit over 4K on my Ek (which is my first car) over about 6 months and TBH i should have saved the money because now that i want a DC5S i'm having to earn that money back to pay for the new car. Back when i got the car i thought i had it all planned out for an engine conversion and all that. But things change and now i'm having to save like crazy lol i could have bought one by now if i hadn't have spent all that money on my car. You need to carefully consider where your going whith the car and then go from there. Also as said above you don't need a fast car on your L's and P's, you've gotta learn to drive first mate. One last thing, you need to replace those springs first before you do anything else, cut springs are a big no-no when it comes to a safe car, and a safe/stable car is especially important when your learning to drive on your L's.

vtecing
10-04-2011, 07:29 PM
I have a stock single carby eg4. It actually handles quite well and can b pretty quick once it has some momentum behind it. It you replace the cut springs with some lowerd pedders and make sure you have some good quallity tyres you should have a pretty fun car to drive

mugen_ctr
10-04-2011, 08:06 PM
I dont wanna deter you from modding op, but honestly, modding cars = lost of money, u never gain what u put in, so think wisely about what ur doin...

viinnh
10-04-2011, 09:00 PM
the reason im modding this on my l's is to get ready for my p's , i wanna go track and 1/4 mile for the fun of it with friends, i dont want a b series or anything. just want to do small fun stuff to my car.
another note is im not on chopped springs, im lowered on proper custom springs.

also a bit off topic. can a l plater go on a 1/4 mile at eastern creek ?

trism
10-04-2011, 09:05 PM
well, for track day fun, youll have more fun in an underpowered car that handles like its on rails, then an overpowered car that feels like youre driving a sloppy wet paper bag.

With everything youve done, there is no more to do other than weight reduction and suspension/handling mods.

jeremydawg
10-04-2011, 09:08 PM
the reason im modding this on my l's is to get ready for my p's , i wanna go track and 1/4 mile for the fun of it with friends, i dont want a b series or anything. just want to do small fun stuff to my car.

^ lol you could but, i wouldnt bother. How is modding your car helping you get ready for your P's?

mugen_ctr
10-04-2011, 09:16 PM
well, for track day fun, youll have more fun in an underpowered car that handles like its on rails, then an overpowered car that feels like youre driving a sloppy wet paper bag.

With everything youve done, there is no more to do other than weight reduction and suspension/handling mods.

really depends on how u drive... everyone has different styles, an ways to drive, some like oversteer nature, others understeer... but the op has no where near the needed suspension mods to make the car handle like rails...

To even get to that stage... u need: good tires, swaybars setup and springs matched with dampers, brake pads, and thats just the basics, than we come to camber, toe settings etc etc... OP has a long way an much to learn if he wants to hit the tracks... sure its a good learning curve if u take out the car as it is... but u will be struggling to getting around the corners...

hmetro24
10-04-2011, 09:25 PM
If you listen to everyone here, Just Do not waste any money on this car. If you want it as is for daily drive, just keep it same way just lower it a little bit. If you want to mod you car, just do not modify your engine because it is waste of time. get your self SI or VTI and mod it.

TheSaint
10-04-2011, 10:24 PM

theres no such thing as 'custom springs' its either chopped wich is dangerous or they are a brand name ... which would most likely be pedders or kings

trism
10-04-2011, 10:32 PM
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

youre wrong again!!

there is such thing as custom springs

you ring up a place like k-mac

you say to them "oh hai, i want springs to suit an EG civic, i want them this long when unloaded, i want the spring rate to be this much, i want them to be made out of XXmm thick steel, i want it to be XX cm lower when its installed"

and they make them, and then thats custom springs.

But what i think OP meant when he said

carby springs cut

Is that the throttle return springs have been cut, which makes them tighter, and makes the throttle response seem a bit more sharper.

jeremydawg
10-04-2011, 10:43 PM
lol.

I see! Was wondering what he meant by ''carby cut''. Damn your good lol

TheSaint
11-04-2011, 01:14 AM
well i wasnt wrong the first time - but i agree with you here
thanks for that information =)

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

youre wrong again!!

there is such thing as custom springs

you ring up a place like k-mac

you say to them "oh hai, i want springs to suit an EG civic, i want them this long when unloaded, i want the spring rate to be this much, i want them to be made out of XXmm thick steel, i want it to be XX cm lower when its installed"

and they make them, and then thats custom springs.

But what i think OP meant when he said

Is that the throttle return springs have been cut, which makes them tighter, and makes the throttle response seem a bit more sharper.

trism
11-04-2011, 08:06 PM
delete my post?

dougie_504
12-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Everybody please stay on topic and keep it clean please. All warned.

quangsuke
15-04-2011, 01:16 PM

I also drive a carby eg3. car is slow as balls but im not really a straight line person anyway.
If you totally can't wait to play with the car (we all know the feeling) work on your setup in regards to handling.

you are not going to pull mass power out of a carby unless ur very mechanically minded and have some spare coin.
work the suspension and hit the track.

i tracked my eg3 and manged to break the 2 minute mark first time out. yes not that quick but some turbos couldn't even break the 2 minutes.

my 2 cents

dougie_504
15-04-2011, 02:34 PM
^ Good advice.

My friend in his CRX SiR with only coils + SRI was detroying this R32 GTR around the track (he probably couldn't drive either). Straight line sure he'd lose, but around the track was an easy pantsing.

EK1.6LCIV
17-04-2011, 08:26 PM
replace every worn out busted bush on the car
get some sway bars from the ITR or EG6
upgrade the brakes
wheels and tyres

make the car handle :)