PDA

View Full Version : 2007 CL9 transmission problems?

dec3it
11-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Hi guys,

I am hoping someone can help me with an issue I've been experencing with my car. (automatic) and done 74k on the clock, never missed a service. To take it into Honda service center will cost $130 per hour untill they find the problem and additional cost to fix it, so it could poteintially cost me a whole heap!

Problem:
When travelling at low speed around 30-40km/h the car begins to shake a little. it feels a lot like if you were to change from 2nd gear directly into 4th gear on a manual car. It starts to "jerk", and will continue untill I put a little more weight on the pedal.

That's propblaly the best way i can describe it....

So my question is, has anyone else experence this? and if so what was the problem?

Again, i am rather clueless about cars... and have done a fair bit of searching but nothing has comeup so far...

Thanks for reading.

chuboy
11-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Can you describe anything else like noises or perhaps where the shaking seems to be coming from - is the engine shaking the car or are you feeling wheel vibration through your steering wheel etc.

cheapdouchebag
11-04-2011, 08:58 PM
seeing as your car is a 2007 model, i dont know why you dont have warranty on it still, i thought honda dealerships would give a free extented 5 year warranty. absolute bullshit 130 an hr. they could then take it early in the morning and repair it an hr later and give it back to you later that night costing you a days worth of work.

i remember carl from crs automotive saying something like the cvt needs a flush or something.

snYpz
11-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Could it have anything to do with the fuel pump or fuel lines?
Thats just my stab in the dark.
Dont take it to the honda dealer, its probably gonna be seen by an apprentice and they'll charge you heaps and the problem would probably be still there...

ryaan
11-04-2011, 09:51 PM
hi,

i have a similar problem to yours, does it make like a whining rather loud noise sort off at low speeds?

xp0591
11-04-2011, 09:53 PM
i have same problem. no worry about that, i think maybe the pedal is too tight if compare with other car. U just need to push more weight on the pedal

aaronng
11-04-2011, 11:32 PM
A 2007 model would be due to have it's auto transmission fluid changed. That is the first thing I would do even if the service interval says it is much later.

dec3it
12-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks for your replies.

Can you describe anything else like noises or perhaps where the shaking seems to be coming from - is the engine shaking the car or are you feeling wheel vibration through your steering wheel etc.

There's not much sound or noise heard from it at all, appart from the feeling that it is really struggling to keep up. just imagine a Manual car that gone in to a higher gear at low speed. that jerking feeling as thou the car is about to stall.

seeing as your car is a 2007 model, i dont know why you dont have warranty on it still, i thought honda dealerships would give a free extented 5 year warranty. absolute bullshit 130 an hr. they could then take it early in the morning and repair it an hr later and give it back to you later that night costing you a days worth of work/QUOTE]

Thats excalty what i am scared of, but apparently i can set a time frame on it, now my concerns are, if i say kee it within 2 hours, they will still charge me 2 hours of work and not identify the problem.
Interms of warrently? I had extended warrenty but it's ran out earlier on this year.... just my luck,

[QUOTE]i have same problem. no worry about that, i think maybe the pedal is too tight if compare with other car. U just need to push more weight on the pedal
You're right, been trying it out this morning, it is really hard to mimic the issue, but when i give it a little more "Gas" it will change gears. I've not tried it in the semi - manual mode yet. maybe i will give that a go.

A 2007 model would be due to have it's auto transmission fluid changed. That is the first thing I would do even if the service interval says it is much later.
That is a good option, I still have 5k left before the next service, but i think i will take your advice and get it done 1st. Seeing my car is now on recall i might as well do it at the same time.

Would you recommend taking it into Autotune to check? probably be a lot cheaper. :P

boleh
13-04-2011, 09:42 AM
decit

I have exactly the same problem. Car jerks around 30-40km/h and happens only when I am accelerating very slowly with light pedal. Thats with the rev not exceeding 2500rpm all the way from standstill.

Weird thing is I started having this problem after a minor accident involving the front suspension. Unsure if this is just a co-incidence.

Anyway, I am not bothered too much now.. just accelerate quicker. I think it could be fuel injectors related.

dec3it
13-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi Boleh,

Thanks for your reply,

I dont mind as long as there ae no long term affect, but what if it's a transmission problem or if it is something more serious?

I've been trying to recreate the problem this morning, and it is excatly as you describe. I also noticed it seems to happen when it is in second gear just before the shift to 3rd, (I can see that by adjusting to tiptronic as soon as it happened.)

I'll let you know what hoda comes up with next week.

buddah51au
13-04-2011, 03:18 PM
I may be over the top, but I change my Auto fluid every 12 months or 20,000km. It's a very simple DIY & I regard it as cheap insurance. You can't over-service a car.

3chiii
16-04-2011, 04:01 PM
hey ozhondarer's

been trying to figure what's been feeling wrong about my new euro since i just brought it last week and the problem has started to arise... exactly what they said...

when i give it more acceleration it doesnt feel like it skips gears only on low under 2500rpm

aaronng
16-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Would you recommend taking it into Autotune to check? probably be a lot cheaper. :P

I don't trust Autotune with my car.

aaronng
16-04-2011, 05:16 PM
hey ozhondarer's

been trying to figure what's been feeling wrong about my new euro since i just brought it last week and the problem has started to arise... exactly what they said...

when i give it more acceleration it doesnt feel like it skips gears only on low under 2500rpm
Is your brand new as in only 1 week old? Or a 2005 like in your profile? Just replace the transmission fluid first and see how it goes.

Fredoops
16-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Is your brand new as in only 1 week old? Or a 2005 like in your profile? Just replace the transmission fluid first and see how it goes.
Matter in fact I've heard online it'll take about 2-3 changes for the fluid in the auto-trans to be completely replace the fluid.

I've drained and filled mine 3 times, now it operates like new.

PS: MAKE SURE whoever services your car uses HONDA AUTO-TRANSMISSION FLUID....

buddah51au
17-04-2011, 09:36 AM
That is correct Fredoops, when you drain an Auto Transmission you can only drain approximately 1/3 of the full capacity as oil remains in the Torque Converter, Valve Body & some Oil Passages. This is why I religiously change my Transmission oil every 20,000km or 12 months - whichever comes first. It is cheap insurance.

meatflaps
17-04-2011, 11:20 AM
When travelling at low speed around 30-40km/h the car begins to shake a little. it feels a lot like if you were to change from 2nd gear directly into 4th gear on a manual car. It starts to "jerk", and will continue untill I put a little more weight on the pedal.

From what you've said, I would say it's more likely the driveshaft vibration problem that is fairly common to the '03 - '05 euros. There are many posts on this forum related to this problem and there is one from Braxta that shows what needs to be done to fix.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?132350-FINALLY-THE-ANSWER-TO-THE-SHAKING-EUROS-%28Well-my-one-anyways-P%29&highlight=driveshaft+problem

boleh
18-04-2011, 09:59 AM
sounds like a different symptom

dec3it
19-04-2011, 01:11 PM
So the car is in service now. And thankfully I still have 1 year warrenty left!!! I hope it's not the drive shaft!!!

I've not had a change in transmission fluid ever. That will be a start when if they cant find any thing wrong with it.

dec3it
20-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Hi all,

So I’ve taken my car in to a Honda service center and the diagnostics came out negative, apparently they were unable to re-create the issue I had, however they adjusted the oil levels which seems to have helped a little.
It felt a little better today, well it does not “jerk” as much as today.
Aaron: I followed your advice and asked for a change in transmission fluid but they suggested for me to do that at the 80,000km service, which I still have 5,000km to go.
Any other suggestions would be appriciated. ? Or do you guys think it should be ok for another few months? Or would this cause a bigger issue if left alone for too long? E.g damage to the gear box?

tony1234
20-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Hi all,

So I’ve taken my car in to a Honda service center and the diagnostics came out negative, apparently they were unable to re-create the issue I had, however they adjusted the oil levels which seems to have helped a little.
It felt a little better today, well it does not “jerk” as much as today.
Aaron: I followed your advice and asked for a change in transmission fluid but they suggested for me to do that at the 80,000km service, which I still have 5,000km to go.
Any other suggestions would be appriciated. ? Or do you guys think it should be ok for another few months? Or would this cause a bigger issue if left alone for too long? E.g damage to the gear box?

As Aaron said i'd still change the transmission fluid now just to be safe.

dec3it
20-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Hi Tony

Thanks, I will give it a go his week end, it's my 1st time so i hope it goes well.

tony1234
20-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Hi Tony

Thanks, I will give it a go his week end, it's my 1st time so i hope it goes well.

I'm sure you'll notice some improvement.how much????don't know.Also as buddah51au said it's cheap insurance.

buddah51au
21-04-2011, 01:34 PM
I know regular servicing is much cheaper for me as I do everything myself, I wouldn't trust anyone to work on my car because when I do it I know it is done right. Also I only need to pay for parts at Trade Price. I am also fortunate that my dealer knows I am a fully licensed mechanic. I keep all receipts for parts & note the date & milage I used them on the receipt, in my log book & on my spreadsheet. I am often accused of over servicing my car, but I have my personal opinion on that.

As mentioned in this thread I service my Auto Transmission every 20,000km or 12 months, change Engine Oil & Filter every 10,000km or 6 months & inspect everything else on a regular basis. I recently did a valve adjustment & found the exhaust valve clearances to be spot on, all the inlet valve clearances were way loose.