PDA

View Full Version : Jono's 07 Euro

jono_l
12-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Hi all,

Been a bit of a lurker here over the past few months, but have finally gotten the car up to what I consider to be a presentable state and thought I'd post it up!

We bought the car last December with 62xxx kms on the clock, a '07 Euro Lux Auto. I used to own a manual Holden Vectra (very expensive trouble), but had to go with the auto as this car gets driven by other family members. Asides from the slushbox (which to be fair isn't that bad), I've been loving every single bit of this car! Smooth, powerful enough for most situations, and handles very well for something its weight.

First thing I did was to add a Parrot bluetooth kit to the car. Picked up a refurbed CK3000 Evo unit off eBay for around $60, another $20 on a plug-n-play wiring harness, and spent an evening wiring it in. Was a scary experience pulling apart the centre console of a "new" car, but managed to only lose one clip somewhere into the shifter assembly.

Decided to mount the bluetooth control pad next to the sunroof and VSA switches, and ran the mic up next to the rain sensor above the rear view mirror. This is the end result:

I couldn't stand the flat driver's side mirror on the car as I always felt it left me with a blind spot that even a shoulder check couldn't quite cover. Ordered a set of original JDM mirrors which are convex on both sides. They're also blue tinted which looks flash. If anybody is interested I'll dig up the part numbers for these - I got them through japanparts.com. Also installed the sports pedal set at the same time - I'm sure everybody knows what they look like !

Finally was able to give the car a decent clean over the weekend, and this is how she stands right now:

Next up is probably a rear sway bar. Was also thinking about lowering it, but getting shocks and springs (or coilovers) is a bit out of my budget right now. Also a bit worried about practicality issues, as I already have to angle the car in and out of our driveway. It seems that even the Eibach pro kit would probably drop the car to a point where it would scrape. For now, I'll probably be enjoying the car largely as Honda intended it to be!

opilot87
12-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Looks mint! I recently bought one too and am just getting to the stage where I am nearly happy with it.

I'm very interested in more info about the mirrors! I'm glad someone else notices these things, all mirrors should be convex! I had already thought about this, as I have seen some kind of stick on replacement mirrors that are convex, but wasn't too sure how good it would look. Did you replace the whole mirror or just the glass? Would be interested in part numbers / rough price if you can!

Cheers,
Ollie

antony
12-04-2011, 10:42 PM
You will LOVE the Euro after the Vectra,I had an Astra,and it was a lemon.

Then upgradDed to a Jetta,and now have a Euro,love it.:thumbsup:

Ollie89
12-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Very neat mate.

jono_l
13-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the comments guys!

Ollie, I'd also looked into the stick on replacements available from eBay. Whilst they were certainly the most cost effective, I decided against it as I imagine it'd look pretty shoddy.

Went for replacement glass only - the part numbers are:

76203-SEA-J32 - RH side, convex, non heated
76253-SEA-J32 - LH side, convex, non heated

I was quoted 11,300 yen for both sides, and express shipping cost around $30-$40AUD all up (including the sports pedal set). Installation was pretty straight forward - just pry out the old mirrors and clip on the new ones. A word of warning though - the OEM blue tint causes a slight double vision effect compared to the standard mirrors. It was a bit unnerving at first, but I don't notice it anymore after 2 weeks. If you want I can try take some comparison pics for you (still have the original glass lying around).

Antony, good to see another ex "European" Holden owner! My Vectra would have made most Astras look reliable. I had mine from 54k to 102k km's. In that time, I had to replace the water pump, crank sensor, tie rods, power steering pipe (ruptured!), clock spring (caused steering wheel to randomly jam around corners), rear engine mount, several oil gaskets/seals, heater tap, and the starter motor. The last straw was a broken speed sensor and failing idle control valve, leaving me with no speedo/ABS and a car that would stall at the lights - not much fun when you're covering 100-150km each day for work!

I absolutely love the Euro, even if it's just for the fact that I've done 8000km's without a single issue!

kural7
13-04-2011, 09:21 PM
can you post piks of the sport pedals please?

opilot87
13-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Thanks Jono. I spent ages today trying to find them! I did however discover some people had electrically folding mirrors though! I searched for those part numbers at the website you mentioned, but nothing came up. I tried in google and have only got one store from Japan I think. They seem a fair bit more expensive but will look into it. Thanks for the info, if you know of them available anywhere else please let me know!

Ollie

jono_l
14-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Kural7, I seem to have used up all my attachment size quota on my first post. I do have pics; I'll post them up once I sort out a different image host.

Ollie, I briefly looked into the electronic folding mirrors too, but quickly put them into the too hard/too expensive basket! Japanparts.com do special orders if you submit an enquiry to them via the "Contact" link on their home page - that's how I got mine through them. The other store you found on Google was probably Super GT (asking around $100AUD per side)? That's actually where I got the part numbers from in the first place :D

opilot87
14-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Exactly right! And I agree i'm fairly sure if I find folding mirrors they will be outrageously expensive. But I will send an enquiry to Japanparts, thanks a million!

Ollie

jono_l
14-04-2011, 08:23 PM
can you post piks of the sport pedals please?

As promised, pic of sports pedals installed:
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/2962/img9773j.th.jpg (http://img843.imageshack.us/i/img9773j.jpg/)

kural7
14-04-2011, 10:00 PM
they look much better than the stock ones.. but dude auto? c'monn u wana be able to shift!!

I CU2
16-04-2011, 08:15 PM
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/2962/img9773j.th.jpg (http://img843.imageshack.us/i/img9773j.jpg/)

Was installation easy?

jono_l
17-04-2011, 11:48 AM
they look much better than the stock ones.. but dude auto? c'monn u wana be able to shift!!
Unfortunately I'm not the only one who drives this car, so had no choice!

Was installation easy?
Definitely. Simply remove the old footrest (didn't manage to do so without breaking the clips on mine), and the new one clips right in. Old brake pedal cover simply slips off, and you bolt the new cover on using the supplied allen bolts and nyloc nuts. Hardest part was the accelerator pedal cover - this required drilling through the existing plastic pedal, once you've done that, you just rivet it on using the supplied rivets.

mrgu
20-01-2012, 02:23 AM
progress please

pitiek
20-01-2012, 09:42 AM

Hi Jono,

Do you know if I can use the same sport pedal kit for CU2?

jono_l
20-01-2012, 07:53 PM
progress please

Wow, been 3/4 of a year since I've posted anything in this thread. Have had the car for over a year now, and have put 18000km on it since I took delivery December 2010 (just hit 80000km last week).

Either way, updates as requested:

Engine:
- Installed CT-E Icebox at 75000km. Bumper off job, but pretty straight forward. Decided I didn't like the extra noise from the airbox lid replacement, so back to an OEM filter and airbox lid for the time being. May swap it back in at some point in the future to give it a second go - we'll see.
- Switched to Mobil 1 0w-40 at the last service, car feels very healthy, especially after valve clearance adjustment. Very happy.
- Auto trans now running Redline D4, after doing a "3x3" trans fluid replacement (i.e. 3x drain and refill 3 quarts), which will leave me with ~80% new fluid. Shifts feel faster compared to stock Honda ATF-Z1, less flaring, but not harsh/uncomfortable either. Highly recommended.

Suspension:
- Have decided that car will remain at stock ride height, as I do not wish to sink too much more money into it. Was close to biting the bullet on a Bilstein & Eibach setup, but simply could not justify it.
- Installed eBay front strut tower brace. Good bang for your buck at $50 delivered, swear it improves turn-in and the front end generally feels tighter, but also seems to contribute to slightly increased steering kickback. Generally happy.
- Installed Ultra Racing lower subframe brace (front). Also helped make front end feel tighter, don't think it had as much of a pronounced effect as the strut tower brace though. Still happy at $90 delivered.
- Installed Progress rear sway bar on soft setting. Best thing I've spent on the car bar none. Car turns in great, not a huge difference in ride comfort, but generally makes for a much more entertaining drive. Soft setting was a sweet spot for me - car feels neutral.

Exterior:
- Installed Osram 66240CBI 5000K D2S bulbs. Loving the whiter colour and increased brightness, unlike eBay 5000K bulbs which give you a brighter colour at the expense of brightness. Bloody expensive though! Got a spare set of these (never used), PM if interested.
- Both bumpers need a respray. Front end had an unfortunate run-in with a pole at a carpark, slight scrape. Rear end copped a few scratches when parked outside work one day - bastards never left a note. If anybody knows a good panel shops that they can recommend in Ryde area, please let me know!
- Installed Sport/Euro R grille. Looks so much better than the "old man" chrome grille on the stock Euro lux.

Sound:
- Installed Boston S50 2-way splits in front doors (tweeter mounted on wing mirror sail panels), and Boston S953 on rear parcel shelf. Still running off stock head unit - these ones are just about efficient enough to run unamped. Happy with sound quality.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll be spending much more money on this car - started a job a few months ago where I'm entitled to a subsidised company lease vehicle, and have been very tempted by the prospect of essentially halving my running costs. Don't even get to drive it too much these days - my current commute is a little over 15km per day, and most weeknights I borrow a work vehicle instead!

Still, not quite ready to let the CL9 go yet - but am essentially looking at just enjoying it as is without wasting any more money on mods, or at least stick to stuff that I can easily part out when the time comes to sell it. Will still get those bloody bumpers fixed up though so at least I can look at it when I'm not driving it! :P

Anybody want any pictures of anything, give me a shout and I'll be happy to oblige.

Hi Jono,

Not too sure my friend, get the feeling that they may be different parts. Off the top of my head, RRP for CU2 pedal kit wasn't too ridiculous? May be worth giving a dealer a call.

mrgu
20-01-2012, 09:17 PM
pics please..pm if willing part out..insterested in pedals and door sills

pitiek
20-01-2012, 10:41 PM
I will do that...
I also still saving for a progress RSB..
Are you using the stock endlinks or did you get an aftermarket one?

Xplodin
26-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Suspension:
- Have decided that car will remain at stock ride height, as I do not wish to sink too much more money into it. Was close to biting the bullet on a Bilstein & Eibach setup, but simply could not justify it.

Bilstein Eibach for the win! I Friken love this set up and i would never go to anything else...

I know you don't commute to work anymore and neither do i... i love my car and never gonna part with it.

With the Osram CBI one do u have pics and does it really make that much difference from Stock Osrams?

And pics of ur car of course please! :D

Fredoops
26-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Engine:
- Installed CT-E Icebox at 75000km. Bumper off job, but pretty straight forward. Decided I didn't like the extra noise from the airbox lid replacement, so back to an OEM filter and airbox lid for the time being. May swap it back in at some point in the future to give it a second go - we'll see.
- Switched to Mobil 1 0w-40 at the last service, car feels very healthy, especially after valve clearance adjustment. Very happy.
- Auto trans now running Redline D4, after doing a "3x3" trans fluid replacement (i.e. 3x drain and refill 3 quarts), which will leave me with ~80% new fluid. Shifts feel faster compared to stock Honda ATF-Z1, less flaring, but not harsh/uncomfortable either. Highly recommended.

I cant even bloody hear mine, at all.

Problem is not the lid, it's the seal of the box (or the lack of it).

You probably had the bad batch of icebox like I did. I had I use a Stanley knife and shave the plastic resins around the bolt hole to get the li to stay down.

On top of that I had to pull out the metal rings inside the bolt hole.

jono_l
26-01-2012, 03:56 PM
pics please..pm if willing part out..insterested in pedals and door sills

Am going to try get some updated pics when it dries out up here in Sydney! Will let you know when (or if!) I do come around to selling the car :P

I will do that...
I also still saving for a progress RSB..
Are you using the stock endlinks or did you get an aftermarket one?

Stock endlinks my friend. Only had the swaybar in for around 3000km but no problems so far. Would rather snap and replace stock endlinks than install huge beefy ones and wind up tearing the chassis mounting points.

Bilstein Eibach for the win! I Friken love this set up and i would never go to anything else...

I know you don't commute to work anymore and neither do i... i love my car and never gonna part with it.

With the Osram CBI one do u have pics and does it really make that much difference from Stock Osrams?

And pics of ur car of course please! :D

Wish I could justify a new suspension setup, but there is no rational or financial reason for me to keep the car, so the least I can do is limit the amount of mods I put into it! :P I keep telling myself the day I can get a company car that matches the driving enjoyment of the Euro I will get rid of it...

Osram CBI is noticeably whiter and brighter. I had some pictures from before with stock 4300K Osram one one side and CBI on the other which I'll try dig out for you.

I cant even bloody hear mine, at all.

Problem is not the lid, it's the seal of the box (or the lack of it).

Wasn't a problem with airbox sealing, as the lid fit and sealed well even with the metal rings outside the bolt hole.

The noise was caused by the fact that the lid appears to have a resonant frequency which corresponds to an engine speed of approx 2000-2500rpm. This then created a notable resonance-type booming noise at those engine speeds when under load (i.e. >1/2 throttle), which was eliminated by reinstalling the stock lid, even though I'd ripped out the stock resonator and replaced it with the icebox velocity stack. Some people are happy to live with that, but I'm a picky sort of person when it comes to sound.

I CU2
26-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Hi Jono,

I have the CU2 Sports Pedal Kit.

pitiek
26-01-2012, 07:53 PM
I have the CU2 Sports Pedal Kit.

Like installed on your car or for sale? :)

I CU2
26-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Like installed on your car or for sale? :)

Oh, Installed on my car! Here's my thread I posted about them when I was thinking about installing them: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?148716-Genuine-Sports-Pedals

(Sorry for the O.T, O.P)

jono_l
30-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Car is now sold! At the end if the day, it just wasnt getting driven enough (only every other weekend) and I decided that I'd be better off with a real weekend car, instead of a compromised daily driver with an auto. Traded it in for a manual Toyota 86… and loving every moment of it so far.

Having said that though, I'll miss the car dearly - to me its still one of the few cars that finds the perfect balance between fun to drive and everyday useable.

aaronng edit: Removed shameless plug