PDA

View Full Version : FEO - hondas "fuel efficient oil"

mercury
12-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Hi guys,

I hope i am posting in the right place. I am about to do a standard oil change on my 2001 hrv. I Have heard that all hondas from 2000 up will benefit greatly with hondas oem oil "feo".

Just wondering why this is? Its just interesting to me that most hondas will have a very similar engine. Even for SUVs. Just amazing that they can still make it all work and make it work well. Very well.

Also does anyone know where to buy some in the Western Sydney area?

Thanks guys in advanced,
Merc

flipfire
12-04-2011, 08:16 PM
You talking about Mineral FEO or FEO premium?

I dont think normal FEO greatly benefit that much or if at all compared to other oil? but yeh most Honda dealers stock FEO.

Btw Castrol Edge is/was on sale at SCA for $43.

gumus89
13-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Hondas new premium synthetic oil is expensive for what it is.
Just buy a few bottles of Edge Sport 5W-30 for $43 while its on special at supercheap and change it every 10,000kms.
Buy two or three bottles, they dont go on special that often.

BlitZ
13-04-2011, 08:31 PM
... honda FEO is like catrol gtx eheheh

All other makes only have several engines... more or less like honda to decrease the cost of development.

m3ntAL_l2
13-04-2011, 10:29 PM
How much are feo's these days ?

flipfire
13-04-2011, 11:00 PM
I payed $38 for one last month.

gumus89
14-04-2011, 05:23 PM
The mineral version has been $44 ever since I can remember.

Type R Positive
15-04-2011, 07:14 PM
+1 on the 5w30 castrol edge!

I've noticed a big difference between this and the gtx that the stealerships use. The engine revs quicker and easier for starters, and the fuel usage has gone down a bit too.

trism
15-04-2011, 07:28 PM
well to start with, 5w30 is alot thinner than the 15w40 or 20w50 gtx that most would use, so its no surprise it revs easier and has better fuel usage, the motor isnt trying to fight its way through the oil!!

secondly, a fully synthetic is more stable, so itll be able to handle the revs.

10KRPM
16-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Does the thinner oil provide enough protection though....that was one of the main points that were always brought up when i bought in my edge oil to use instead of the feo oil.

WATAJK
16-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Does the thinner oil provide enough protection though....that was one of the main points that were always brought up when i bought in my edge oil to use instead of the feo oil.

In winter it'd be worth it... maybe not in summer nor would it be good for a long drive...

bennjamin
16-04-2011, 04:03 PM
most hondas in Australia.....should run 5-30w or 10-30w Mineral or semi or fully synthetic its your choice - as its generally changed every 5,000kms.
For a drive on the race track or during a hot hot summer (or climate) try a touch thicker 5-40w or 10-40w.

Fredoops
16-04-2011, 06:25 PM
+1 on the 5w30 castrol edge!

I've noticed a big difference between this and the gtx that the stealerships use. The engine revs quicker and easier for starters, and the fuel usage has gone down a bit too.

LOL!:thumbsup:

I'm using 5w30 Mobil 1 Extended Performance at the moment, love it, and I wont worry about changing oil for a year.

Next time I'll use a 0w-40 Mobile 1 Gold which the Nissan GTR uses.

trism
16-04-2011, 06:30 PM
I always look at kms the engine has Done. I'd only run anything thicker than a 15w40 if the motor has done more than 150k

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

TheSaint
18-04-2011, 01:34 PM
iv always had the best results with FEO 10w30 in my civic - had the car for 5 years and its coming up on 320k kms

iv tried a thicker oil for the higher kms - but it hated it - worse performance and fuel economy and leached power - back to FEO

iv tried FEO Ultra which is 5w30 and the car didnt like that either - burned it up really quick and cleaned out all the crap - but than started seeping out of every crack and the engine felt a little too loose - back to FEO

now ill just keep running FEO and maybe try something different every 50k kms - but the car still runs like the day we got it and iv always used OEM fluids and replacements

cant complain - getting a good run out of this little D15 =p

Fredoops
18-04-2011, 04:17 PM
iv always had the best results with FEO 10w30 in my civic - had the car for 5 years and its coming up on 320k kms

iv tried a thicker oil for the higher kms - but it hated it - worse performance and fuel economy and leached power - back to FEO

iv tried FEO Ultra which is 5w30 and the car didnt like that either - burned it up really quick and cleaned out all the crap - but than started seeping out of every crack and the engine felt a little too loose - back to FEO

now ill just keep running FEO and maybe try something different every 50k kms - but the car still runs like the day we got it and iv always used OEM fluids and replacements

cant complain - getting a good run out of this little D15 =p

In dunno mate. If the oil cleaned out rubbish that's good.... But then if the car leaks.... The oil would be the least of my worries lol

TheSaint
18-04-2011, 06:39 PM
it didnt leak - i just got a bit of seep around the usual places - ie dizzy and rocker cover gasket
it just seemed to be going through more oil with the Ultra
like with normal FEO i would do an oil change and than not have to worry about it for months (check it every week if not more often)
but with the Ultra it seemed to need topping up almost every week - so i changed back to FEO and its all back to normal again
there was a fair bit of extra sludge/carbon in the Ultra when i strained it onto paper towel compared to doing the same thing with normal FEO
(like ... ultra i got about a 10c coin smudge but normal FEO i usually get nothing)

every engine is going to be different i suppose - i still havnt seen another with this many kms that runs in the same condition
but it is a bit of a testimonial to how long they will go for if looked after

trism
18-04-2011, 07:21 PM
I mean, its not surprising at all.

Thinner oil means its gonna get into more places, leak out, and burn off.

And being a fully synthetic its got detergents in it that would've done a mad clean job.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

TheSaint
18-04-2011, 08:37 PM
yeah i wasn't really surprised by the results either - interesting exercise none the less

mercury
23-04-2011, 09:44 PM
are there any places near western suburbs i can buy the FEO oil from?

trism
23-04-2011, 10:44 PM
a honda dealership

muzukashi
26-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Been using the FEO Premium oil for awhile now on a EP3 and DC5 i think in the most recent oil change (The only time i actually paid attention to the fuel consumption after changing) i did notice a slight difference fuel-wise compared to the previous Castrol that i'd been using so this thing has a + from me :D