PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing an S2000

jowjeh
13-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Hi guys,

Just want some opinions as I'm planned to join the s2000 club ;)

I've found one which I am really really keen on. It's located in VIC (as am I).

it's has the following:

110,000 on engine
lowered (don't know if it's springs or coilovers, ride is stiff)
Full honda factory kit (front, side, rear spoiler).

Test driven the car - no problems!!!! was excellent!
Had an RACV test on the car - Only issues reported were the rear windscreen (this has been replaced) and a couple other things which will be fixed in the roadworthy. Besides windscreen, looking at a rough $500 to fix them and pass roady.

+clutch master cylinder will need to be replaced as it's starting to leak etc.

Other than that, some observations were made. diff bushes are becoming warn, interior was a little worn (only a little, drivers side seat mostly on the right, i hear it's common).

What would you pay for the car? Redbook is telling me it's worth no more than $21,700 at 110,000 k's.

From what I can see, the prices on all the s2000's on carsales and forums are much much much higher?!

Why is this?

Thanks a heap!

pilotb777_300
13-04-2011, 02:53 PM
what year is the car ?

jowjeh
13-04-2011, 03:00 PM
what year is the car ?

Sorry, should have mentioned that.

2000. there's also another 6 months rego.

pilotb777_300
13-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Sorry, should have mentioned that.

2000. there's also another 6 months rego.

Well just to give u an indication... I sold my S2000 about 2 month ago for 29K
it was a 1999 model with 85K on the clock silverstone with red leather interior.
The reason I got good money for it was cause the car was stock 100% no mechanical issues, rear window was perfect panels all original. The engine never burned oil and the gearbox worked and shifted very well. the first person that saw it bought it on the day and said he looked at 8 other examples before mine and they were all rubbish.

jowjeh
13-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Well just to give u an indication... I sold my S2000 about 2 month ago for 29K
it was a 1999 model with 85K on the clock silverstone with red leather interior.
The reason I got good money for it was cause the car was stock 100% no mechanical issues, rear window was perfect panels all original. The engine never burned oil and the gearbox worked and shifted very well. the first person that saw it bought it on the day and said he looked at 8 other examples before mine and they were all rubbish.

Thanks for that. Gives me a bit more of an idea.

Well, this one is not going lower than 25k.

I think that's fair, but everyone I ask seems to think they're worth no more than 22k (but not from what I can see?).

So I thoughd I'd ask people who actually own and buy these cars!!

Nismo3oi
13-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Can't always go by the redbook prices as different cars hold their value better. Its not easy finding a good s2000 now days as most of them have been abused. You'll find that the ones under $25K are pretty crap and you get what you pay for. Maybe save up some more coin and look at some later models 2002+ with glass roof etc and also if anything happens you'll get most of your cash back from insurance, for the older models you'll only get about 21K from insurance for a car you paid 25K. Hope this helps.

jowjeh
13-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Can't always go by the redbook prices as different cars hold their value better. Its not easy finding a good s2000 now days as most of them have been abused. You'll find that the ones under $25K are pretty crap and you get what you pay for. Maybe save up some more coin and look at some later models 2002+ with glass roof etc and also if anything happens you'll get most of your cash back from insurance, for the older models you'll only get about 21K from insurance for a car you paid 25K. Hope this helps.

Sure did mate, thanks :)

I just spoke to a colleage at work who said the same thing. And I suppose these cars are probably going to be a classic (as well as the NSX) of sorts someday.

Well, if what you say is true, 25k sounds good. I do not want to spend any more than that however, as that's quite dear for me.

Thanks guys, any more input or advise will be highly appreciated!

VeYzZii
13-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Its getting harder to tell which cars are used or abused.. Although these cars can hold a fair bit of bashing, at the end of the day it will slowly start to show. If your not good with cars, get a mechanic to look at it. And if your not good with S2000s, get an owner to have a look at it.. Once you own one you really get to see where sh&# can go wrong.. Redbook is a good indication of prices for second hand cars. Although AVERAGE S2000s dont sell for as low 21, an average 99 model is not worth over 25. And dont look at what the seller is listing it for, because thats beside the point. If the seller is there to sell, he will be selling at what the buyer is offering, not at what he is wanting. Many of the S2000s are overpriced on carsales. For example when i was buying my S2000s almost 2 years ago, there was one advertised for 33, i offered him 26 after looking at the car and he wasnt happy. 6 months from that day he called me and said he will take 26.. Unfortunatly at that stage i was already a proud owner of 4 months. i dont know what there aim is, but im guessing there just fishing for somebody to trick, and sell the car..

Hasbeen
14-04-2011, 08:59 AM
I just bought a 2001 with less than 28,000Km on it. I payed top dollar, as you would expect.

I was happy to do so after looking at a few with over 85,000, which were not as good as one would expect for the over $25,000 they were all asking.

I think Qld Honda's are a little dearer, but the only other 3 cars I thought of buying were priced from $29000 to $31,000, but they were all beautifully kept cars,
& worth their price.

In the last few months it has been the top price S2000s that are selling quickest up here.

pilotb777_300
14-04-2011, 09:16 AM
[QUOTE=VeYzZii;2992123] If the seller is there to sell, he will be selling at what the buyer is offering, not at what he is wanting. Many of the S2000s are overpriced on carsales. For example when i was buying my S2000s almost 2 years ago, there was one advertised for 33, i offered him 26 after looking at the car and he wasnt happy. 6 months from that day he called me and said he will take 26.. QUOTE]

I dont know if I agree with that 100%. I know where ur coming from, but when I was selling my car I had it up for $29999 when there was many other similar S2000 for maybe 5-7K less than that. The reason I had it advertised higher was because I had confidence in the product I was selling and thought it was worth the premium for the condition it was in. Now I had people offering me 22K and one guy actually had the nerve to ovver me 19K for it. I dont know about everyone else but that really used to piss me off. Why are you looking at buying my car when I want 30K yet ur only willing to pay 20K I used to think... No one is forcing anyone to buy a car... if you dont agree with the asking price then look else where.

Anyways I ended up getting what I want for the car within 3 weeks of having it on car sales. This only goes to show that the good S2000's never last on car sales. You gotta keep your eye open and when a good one comes up, jump on it straight away. They are far and few between these days ! Even if it means paying a little extra... You have no idea the joy I had from knowing I owned one of the few rare original S2000's examples that was unmolested ! I used to always keep it in pristine condition and was proud every time I took it on the rd.

Unfortunately the buyer who bought it off me wrote it off on his way home the day he bought the car :( Dont ask me how I dont know the full story but its true. He msged me the next day to tell me what had happened. I just checked on vic roads... just got listed as a repairable write off. I was depressed for weeks after I heard what had happened to her....

AusS2000
14-04-2011, 09:31 AM
If the seller is there to sell, he will be selling at what the buyer is offering, not at what he is wanting.

From the sellers point of view he has one car, and many prospective buyers. If his is a good example he'd be crazy to take the first offer.

xoz
14-04-2011, 09:33 AM
I just bought a 2001 with less than 28,000Km on it. I payed top dollar, as you would expect.

I was happy to do so after looking at a few with over 85,000, which were not as good as one would expect for the over $25,000 they were all asking.

I think Qld Honda's are a little dearer, but the only other 3 cars I thought of buying were priced from $29000 to $31,000, but they were all beautifully kept cars,
& worth their price.

In the last few months it has been the top price S2000s that are selling quickest up here.

Hey Hasbeen, mind posting up some pics of your prize..love to see another S in the SEQ.

jowjeh
14-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Hey guys,

Well, I am going to put a deposit on it tonight for 25k.

Based on what you have said, 110k's is decent, not necessarily great but decent.. Plus I've had it fully inspected and everything is pretty much in good condition besides some roadworthy issues, but 25k comes with roady. He also changed the rear plastic cause it was dirty and ripped.

Not only that, the only thing done to the car is a change of sprints or coilovers (not sure which, this was done by the previous owner of the current so he is clueless). Other than that, it has the honda factory full kit (front bar, side skirts and spoiler). Literally nothing else! :)

Anyway, it drives excellent, no weird noises, no problems driving. Thanks for your help guys :) Really appreciate it. Will let you all know once I've joined the community officially ;)

AusS2000
14-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Springs or coilovers is something I would want to be certain of before purchase. If they have used decent springs (H&R, Eibach) ok. If they've used King springs or cut the OEM not good. Same with coils. If they've used a decent brand then ok. If they've used something cheap then not so.

jowjeh
14-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Springs or coilovers is something I would want to be certain of before purchase. If they have used decent springs (H&R, Eibach) ok. If they've used King springs or cut the OEM not good. Same with coils. If they've used a decent brand then ok. If they've used something cheap then not so.

Yeah maybe so, but I'm not too fussed to be honest. worst case I'll replace them down the track, but other than that they're sweet. I'll get em double-checked later but it's not too big on my list.

it handled superb, the ride felt stiff but good, so i think it should be okay. i'm prepared to take that risk but no more lol

pilotb777_300
14-04-2011, 11:16 AM

I agree. You'd be surprised how many issue arrise from lowering a car incorrectly. Everything from drive shaft to diff issues. If I was buying this car, I'd wana know how low its been lowered, how long its been like that for and what setup they have been using ( Springs, shocks etc... ) You would also need to keep an eye on how much camber those back wheels r running with the current suspention setup. Not saying theres anything wrong with it... Just make sure you do ur homework and dont dismiss lowering a car as a minor cosmetic modification....good luck with it all

jowjeh
14-04-2011, 11:22 AM
I agree. You'd be surprised how many issue arrise from lowering a car incorrectly. Everything from drive shaft to diff issues. If I was buying this car, I'd wana know how low its been lowered, how long its been like that for and what setup they have been using ( Springs, shocks etc... ) You would also need to keep an eye on how much camber those back wheels r running with the current suspention setup. Not saying theres anything wrong with it... Just make sure you do ur homework and dont dismiss lowering a car as a minor cosmetic modification....good luck with it all

Thanks mate, I hear ya. The ride height is legal, so that's a good sign. It's barely lowered, which is good cause I don't want to have headaches with speed humps etc (and my driveway, my driveway is steep as shit, should be fine though).

Hasbeen
14-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Hi jowjeh, It's hard waiting isn't it, once you know what you want, & have the cash. I went for mine partly because it is completely stock.
Any modifications will be my mods

Hope the car treats you well, & gives you what you are looking for.

Hi xoz, I will post some pics, but I'll have to wait till one of the kids drops in with a camera.

I used 10 rolls of film on a trip from Rabaul, to Cairns via the Solomons & Fiji, by yacht about 30 years ago.
However when I got to Cairns the film was found to be mildew. Annoyed, I gave the camera a float test, [it didn't] in Cairns harbour & have not owned one since.

jowjeh
14-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Hi jowjeh, It's hard waiting isn't it, once you know what you want, & have the cash. I went for mine partly because it is completely stock.
Any modifications will be my mods

Hope the car treats you well, & gives you what you are looking for.

Oh man, it's killing me! Now I have to wait for a roadworthy to be organised!

Agreed on the mods, If i saw more than 2 mods on one of them i just said nope. Actually, out of all of them on carsales, i wasn't interested in any but this one to be honest, for various different reasons! so it worked out well :)

Hopefully, i'll have it next week! :)