PDA

View Full Version : shifting without clutch / matching revs

reyesone
31-01-2005, 07:15 AM
ive heard my mates talk about this but i dont quite understand how it works

can anyone direct me to a site which explains it or better yet try explain it here?

g3vtir
31-01-2005, 07:37 AM
Hi,

Yeah uhm i used to do it every now and then on my old Integra LS...it's pretty hard to do...all you gotta do is pop it into neutral, rev it till you think the engine speed is just right, then pop it straight in...i used to crunch it alot...but most of the tim it will pop right in...not sure how good this is for your gearbox..hehee

ECU-MAN
31-01-2005, 08:28 AM
as long as you can line up the output shaft ( road speed )and the flywheel ( engine Speed ) in speed you can up shift and down shift with out the clutch.

be warned you can kill your synchros practicing this.

bumography
31-01-2005, 09:15 AM
you dont need to pop it in neutral, u can just do it while the clutch is in
Wait did he say without Clutch??????????
maybe he means the clutchless gearboxes which ferraris have..

Sp3rMz
31-01-2005, 09:29 AM
I use to do clutchless gearing but its not very advised thing to do. I use to do it alot more up shifting on a motor bike. Whats wrong with you people? getting lazy u fat bastards :D cant even be fooked using a clutch? LOL buy an automatic :p

SiR
31-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Upshifting is much easier than downshifting imo. I can upshift w/o clutching no probs, but not as confident when downshifting.

Also, check your gear ratios. They should help determine at which point(s) you can shift w/o clutching.

wynode
31-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Why bother if you have synchros?

headho
31-01-2005, 01:19 PM
u gonna damage ur gear box ~ :) u better forgot this trick, Not worth it m8,

EKVTIR-T
31-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Don't really see any point to it????

[XsCaPe]
31-01-2005, 02:38 PM
good thing to know how to do if your clutch master / slave cylinder decides to die on you and you cant afford a tow home.

ECU-MAN
31-01-2005, 02:59 PM
']good thing to know how to do if your clutch master / slave cylinder decides to die on you and you cant afford a tow home.

:thumbsup: or if your mates torana snaps a clutch cable, and he calls you to come and find out why the car wont go. just drive it home clutchless :)

Usual Suspect
31-01-2005, 03:46 PM
there really is no point in this so dont really bother.

XPLOSV
31-01-2005, 10:56 PM
not very good for ur gearbox, dont try it... trust me ;)

get auto if you really cant be bother clutching...

reyesone
01-02-2005, 01:04 PM
who said anything about me trying to do it?

learn to read guys

im just asking if theres any sites explaining how this is mechanically possible

i have a little debate going on with my mates

reyesone
01-02-2005, 01:07 PM
thanks ECU-MAN i think your the only one with an informative reply in this thread

even admins dont

thats a bit disappointing

ginganggooly
01-02-2005, 01:52 PM
']good thing to know how to do if your clutch master / slave cylinder decides to die on you and you cant afford a tow home.

doesn't work if you have to stop at traffic lights ;)

ECU-MAN
01-02-2005, 05:59 PM
doesn't work if you have to stop at traffic lights ;)

yeah it does

at light with the engine off, select 1st gear, when the light turns green, crank and gas it, and your off. when you come to a red light slow don and down shift all the way down hopeing you dont need to stop, but if you have to stop you select neutral and come to a stop. then you turn the engine off and do it all over again

ginganggooly
01-02-2005, 06:04 PM
yeah it does

at light with the engine off, select 1st gear, when the light turns green, crank and gas it, and your off. when you come to a red light slow don and down shift all the way down hopeing you dont need to stop, but if you have to stop you select neutral and come to a stop. then you turn the engine off and do it all over again

ah, i stand corrected. :D

ECU-MAN
01-02-2005, 06:18 PM
:).

16CTEG
01-02-2005, 06:23 PM
howcome when my clutch went i couldn't do it! my mates dad has done mnay times before but couldn't do it to mine! but however my clutch was destroyed all the compound came off the clutch only the metal on the inside was there!! pretty good effort aye???;)

ginganggooly
01-02-2005, 06:25 PM
when i popped a spring up the old road, i got it from the brooklyn bridge to wahroonga, which was the first traffic light i came accross. it's a pity i didn't realise that i could have got it going by switching it off and starting again.... oh well, here's to next time :)

ECU-MAN
01-02-2005, 06:35 PM
howcome when my clutch went i couldn't do it! my mates dad has done mnay times before but couldn't do it to mine! but however my clutch was destroyed all the compound came off the clutch only the metal on the inside was there!! pretty good effort aye???;)

because you need to have an operation clutch. your clutch has to be able to be engaged. so you can get drive. its when you cant disengage the clutch you have to do clutchless shifts

tinkerbell
01-02-2005, 11:17 PM
ah, i stand corrected. :D

yes, bunny-hop time!

i recall i think Alan Moffit running out of fuel on the last lap of the Great Race once and having to use the starter motor to keep the car moving to get over the line...

sorry for OT

reyesone
03-02-2005, 09:30 AM
so no one knows any sites?

tinkerbell
03-02-2005, 09:40 AM
www.google.com

try that one?

LO_N_SXC
03-02-2005, 03:21 PM
who said anything about me trying to do it?

learn to read guys

im just asking if theres any sites explaining how this is mechanically possible

i have a little debate going on with my mates

Tell ya Mates that if we are posting on a site about it then it's mechanically possible! and if it's site's that you're after then tell them to jump on here and read what has been posted! :D

SKYNUTS
03-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Why take the risk?

TeMp
03-02-2005, 08:11 PM
There was actually a write up at exclusive-auto webpage about rev matchin. It went down all the way to the machine technicals. But I can't seem to find exclusive auto's web page any more... :(

ECU-MAN
03-02-2005, 08:21 PM
also do a serarch

its been covered here before as well

BlackR
03-02-2005, 09:57 PM
You should all learn how to frive a HEAVY RIGID or SEMI TRAILER TRUCK, you can learn alotabout gearboxes and how to match revs because most of the trucks dont haev synchro's, remember prectise makes perfect. I have 25000km on my DC5R and shift up and down without the clutch all the time, no problems with my gearbox at all, the only time i use clutch is to take off from stop and when i race someone. thats all.

BlackR
03-02-2005, 10:02 PM
yeah it does

There is a better way buts its harder, not for novices, put car in neaural at a stop. When you goto take off rev the car a little bit kill the engine and put it into gear while no engine power nut the revs are dropping then hit the key to start again, if done properly its agood way to take off without hopping like mad. but **** it up and you **** it bad

ECU-MAN
03-02-2005, 10:15 PM
some nice comments there BlackR, I must try that procedure, but not in my car :)