PDA

View Full Version : 96 civic hatchback driving and fog lights

sexy_shazam
14-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Hey Guys

So im kind of not satisfied with my Ek1 civic cxi lights as the are not bright enough. I thought about getting Halogens lights such as the philips diamond vision but ive heared that they only last about 6 - 12 months so decided it wasnt worth it.

Now i saw this picture on google images and apart from looking dam sexy would this set up increase the visibility at night? im just worried about rainy weather and all. Id rather be safe on the road then look good tbh.
http://reviews.turbometal.com/wp-content/uploads/96-97-98-honda-civic-jdm-black-crystal-headlights-1.jpg

Also is there a place that will install the yellow fog lights for me? if so how much do you reckon it will cost?

thanks heaps.

TheSaint
14-04-2011, 02:52 AM
they do increase visibility alot in bad weather - i have them installed on my EG sedan

but they are illegal to have turned on in normal conditions (well in WA anyway)

it wasnt really that hard to install them personally - but it wasnt exactly a simple job either - any auto electrician will be able to do it - or even a honda dealer if ur really inlclined
u can generally get a good kit off ebay for a good price from USA these days that will fit perfectly with ur car - spend some time and have a search around on there

heres one i prepared earlier:

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/the_saint7/P4260314_e.jpg?t=1302713507

Tai
14-04-2011, 12:10 PM
JDM yard sells them.

I got my set from there and did the install with a mate, took a couple of hours.

davidvtec
14-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Jdmyard only sell crystal clear ones.

I have a set of yellow foglights like your picture above. And yes they help heaps on the road at night and rain.

If your in NSW, I can definitely install this in for you, not hard !

TheSaint
14-04-2011, 08:17 PM
what are the laws in the other states about driving with these on in normal conditions?

in WA the police pull you over straight away even if its an automated feature =/

grifty
14-04-2011, 09:30 PM
They are also illegal to be on NSW in normal conditions.

EK1 Civic
14-04-2011, 10:24 PM
I've got diamond vision on my ek. Had them for maybe 8 months? they havent popped or had any troubles since ownership. Only issue is when it rains and the ground is wet there basically useless and provide a tad amount of visability. I drove with my lights off and turned em back on, there was only a touch of visability with them on in the rain =/ This was at night time obviously

sexy_shazam
14-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Are you talking about driving lights or the orange square ones?

Why are the orange foggies illegal to be on at night? i thought they wouldn't provide enough light to blind someone.

they do increase visibility alot in bad weather - i have them installed on my EG sedan

but they are illegal to have turned on in normal conditions (well in WA anyway)

it wasnt really that hard to install them personally - but it wasnt exactly a simple job either - any auto electrician will be able to do it - or even a honda dealer if ur really inlclined
u can generally get a good kit off ebay for a good price from USA these days that will fit perfectly with ur car - spend some time and have a search around on there

heres one i prepared earlier:

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/the_saint7/P4260314_e.jpg?t=1302713507

sexy_shazam
14-04-2011, 10:52 PM
is it hard to install the foggies? i read online that you have to cut out a section of the bumper and thats what i dont really want to do myself. Last thing i want is to damage my car id rather pay someone to have it done and have piece of mind then save some dollars and do a bad job.

TheSaint
15-04-2011, 12:16 AM
driving lights and foglights are considered the same thing - no matter how bright or dull they are - if the police see them on they tend to pull you over

yes i had to cut small amounts on my bumper and no i probably wouldnt recommend it to somebody that doesnt know what they are doing

make sure you have a reliable mechanic or auto-electrician though because you dont want them to stuff it up either lol

i use mine in fog, rain, dark over-cast and shadows from the forest and pine plantations near where i live

i try not to have them on in normal conditions or around town

EK1 Civic
15-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Im talking about the driving lights. They reflect off the surface because of the rain or something. Thats why yellow lights are used because they work in all conditions.

Mikecivic78
16-04-2011, 12:30 PM
what are the laws in the other states about driving with these on in normal conditions?

in WA the police pull you over straight away even if its an automated feature =/

QLD law is the same. It never seems to be inforced though, as every dickhead in an SUV or up-spec Commo seems to blind me on the road.

mugen_ctr
16-04-2011, 02:02 PM
In vic its illegal to use yellow foggies, which sucks cause I love my foggies, installin em isnt to hard, jus measure twice an cut

flipfire
16-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Proper fog lights shouldnt blind you, its supposed to be mounted and aimed low so the fog doesnt reflect the light back to your face and stuff.

and driving lights is supposed to assist your normal headlights in very dark conditions.

I had some PIAA dichroic driving lights on my EK. They were really good along with high beams, lit up the whole road out bush...

OP: you dont need fog/driving lights for the rain just grab yourself some Philips Xtreme power or the Narva equivalent.

EK1.6LCIV
16-04-2011, 09:19 PM
fog lights are great for interstate trips or travelling at night in wet heavy rain, heck Id run a rear fog light too so people dont end up your arse, both very worthwhile investments and things that should be part of adr as they are for European standards, considering this place is run by a queen

tsol0811
17-04-2011, 12:53 AM
sorry to hijack this thread op, but while were on headlights i always wanted to know if yellow 3000k headlights were illegal?

davidvtec
17-04-2011, 02:50 PM
is it hard to install the foggies? i read online that you have to cut out a section of the bumper and thats what i dont really want to do myself. Last thing i want is to damage my car id rather pay someone to have it done and have piece of mind then save some dollars and do a bad job.

Not hard at all. Anyone can do this, and your only cutting the grille of the bumper which holds the foglights only. Nothing else. Not worth paying someone else to do, easy as job !

sexy_shazam
17-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Proper fog lights shouldnt blind you, its supposed to be mounted and aimed low so the fog doesnt reflect the light back to your face and stuff.

OP: you dont need fog/driving lights for the rain just grab yourself some Philips Xtreme power or the Narva equivalent.

Thats what i thought since its aimed down. I think ill give RTA a call tomorrow to see what they say about it.

I do love the look of hid or halogen lights and those yellow foggies.

davidvtec
18-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Thats what i thought since its aimed down. I think ill give RTA a call tomorrow to see what they say about it.

I do love the look of hid or halogen lights and those yellow foggies.

Let us know what the RTA says (Y)