PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Parking sensor

lf9888
14-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum.I bought a 2010 Odyssey Lux in March and the Dealer wanted charge $650 to have the reverse sensor install which i think way too much just for a reverse sensor.
My question is any of you guys can share some information regarding what is the best reverse sensor that can be install after market just as good as the dealer one?

Thanks

Philip Lee
14-04-2011, 12:12 PM
dealer ones are just aftermarket ones. maybe you can try some audio shops, i know some would fit parking sensors.

will you change your headunit to a sat nav or dvd? if so maybe you can install a rear camera?

btw i also bought a 10 ODC lux in march but you had a much better deal than me. just wondering if you are NSW based? also what colour did you buy and how many kays were on you odometre when you picked it up?

thanks.

lf9888
14-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Hi Philip,

I am from Victoria. the colour is Polish Metal and its only 4Km when i pick up the car. The car build dated 10/10 and its compliance 03/11 vehicle so its register as 2011 model vehicle.

I haven't do a research on the head unit yet.Do you have any sugesstion?

I am having ALPINE pkg-rse2 rooftop DVD player install with 3 headphone for $1300.

Thanks

Philip Lee
14-04-2011, 01:57 PM
hi mate, you have done a great deal. i wanted Polich Metal but they didn't have any in stock so i got Premium Night Blue.

i'm planning to fit either a Kenwood or Alpine sat nav hu. Kenwood is supposed to have a new model soon so i'm waiting to see it before i commit. i prefer the current model Kenwood as it can play movies from USB while Alpine can't but Alpine has better EQ features. will also fit a rear cam at the same time.

since i already have an Alpine monitor for the rear, i won't fit a rooftop one. will also get some front speakers too.

lf9888
15-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Hi Philip,

Spoke to the guy that installed the rooftop dvd for me and he recommended the ECLIPSE AVN726EA with steering wheel audio control module plus rear camera install for $2100.

You might want to look into it...

Philip Lee
15-04-2011, 10:16 AM
the Eclipse looks good but it doesn't say whether it will work with iPhone and where it plays movies off USB.

you will find the top brands are all doing Sat Nav/DVD/BT/USB + rear cam for similar money. is $2,100 installed?

i was looking at Clarion too and apparently they offer 3 years free maps upgrade and 3 years warranty.

while with Alpine, you can download the latest map at the time of purchase when you register your warranty online.

personally i won't bother with steering control. they are usually over $150 and all you can do is change volume and skip to next track. i'd rather mount the remote control on the table and save the $$.

lf9888
15-04-2011, 11:28 AM
$2100 fully install with rear camera and steering control module.

i would have thought ipod/iphone both the same in term of the connection to the unit.so are you saying the ECLIPSE not compatible with iphone?

Thanks

Philip Lee
15-04-2011, 11:51 AM
no. ipod/iphone plugs look the same but the physical tabs are slightly different. it's best to buy those that specifically says work with iPhone.

not saying the Eclipse won't work with iphone but the Eclipse site doesn't say it does. maybe best to try it out at the shops.

it also seems like this model has released for a while. best to check to see if the map is current.

supa007
16-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Hey guys,

I'm in Melb in exactly the same situation. Bought the 10' Ody Lux, just picked up this week. Looking into getting Sat Nav, iphone integration, Rev Camera installed very soon. Was looking at either the Pioneer AVIC-F20BT or Kenwood DNX7360BTNAV ($1899 vs $1799 unit only), but haven't looked into pricing installed with camera yet... Any recommendations as to installer to use?

Philip Lee
16-04-2011, 04:21 PM
I really like the Kenwood, just that the menu has a slight lag but apparently a new model is coming soon so I'm waiting for that to cone out b4 I make my decision.

lf9888
17-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Hi, I just had a alpine rooftop DVD player installed in essendon and very happy with alpine.
Now i am looking at the alpine INA-w900E.
Hey maybe we can get a good deal together with the same installer.....what do you think? QUOTE=supa007;2993966]Hey guys,

I'm in Melb in exactly the same situation. Bought the 10' Ody Lux, just picked up this week. Looking into getting Sat Nav, iphone integration, Rev Camera installed very soon. Was looking at either the Pioneer AVIC-F20BT or Kenwood DNX7360BTNAV ($1899 vs $1799 unit only), but haven't looked into pricing installed with camera yet... Any recommendations as to installer to use?[/QUOTE]

supa007
17-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Sounds good to me. After some research did find that the prob with the Alpine is that it only plays back Divx from DVD and not from attached USB devices... Not that I'm planning to watch many movies in the car. I've been told by Brett @ Performance Car Audio in Bayswater that he could do the Alpine for $1700, but was going to look into camera and installation cost for me.

See what sorta deal you could negotiate, and I'll try to do some more research myself.

Hey Philip, any idea when the new Kenwood is coming out and what new features r going to be added?

Philip Lee
17-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Yes Alpine doesn't play movies off usb but the sound setting and EQ are pretty good. I want movie playback from USB tho as I can't be bothered burning disc.

My friend is finding out about the kenwood for me as he has friends in the industry....

lf9888
17-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Mentioned early ECLIPSE AVN726EA with rear camera and steering control module fully installed for $2100. He said he is giving me this price cause i had my rooftop DVD installed with them.
I will ring to see what price I can get for the alpine.
BTW he said the new ECLIPSE will come out in six month time.

Philip Lee
18-04-2011, 11:21 AM
also remember to ask what rear cam they are including.

there is a new Eclipse in 6.5" and it's pretty good. http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/article/news/feature_packed_clarion_nx501a_avn_arrives/

also Alpine review http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/reviews/alpine_ina-w900e_2-din_receiver/

aka_NSX
19-04-2011, 02:27 PM
also remember to ask what rear cam they are including.

there is a new Eclipse in 6.5" and it's pretty good. http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/article/news/feature_packed_clarion_nx501a_avn_arrives/

the link is for Clarion instead of Eclipse !!!!

Philip Lee
19-04-2011, 02:39 PM
oops sorry.

Kneedown
20-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Hey Guys

I've just picked up a 2010 Odyssey and want to get rid of the head unit in favour of something with bluetooth and possibly a reverse camera. Have come across the Clarion VX400A and it seems to do all that is required for well below the Kenwood, Alpine price point.

Anybody have any info on this? Reviews seem to be thin on the web.
Clarion VX400A (http://www.clarion.com/au/en/products/2010/multimedia/multimedia_source_units/VX400A/au-en-product-pf_1259413421752.html)

Cheers

Philip Lee
21-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Well this clarion doesnt have sat nav and screen is smaller.....

PS. it seems many people bought a 10 Odyssey during March......

Kneedown
21-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Wasn't really interested in SatNav. Just want a good bluetooth interface with the ability to fit a reverse camera and a unit that is reliable and user friendly with iPhones. The DVD player is a bonus really as it won't get used much. Will possibly fit a roof mount DVD down the track.

There doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for Clarion here. :)

Philip Lee
21-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Clarion is good unit definitely but i have a Kenwood in my other car and i like it with the Garmin Sat Nav.

i am also a fan of Alpine headunit as i have had a few and they never let me down with good SQ.

if you have a DVD headunit, you can just get a pair of monitors for the rear and output the signal from the HU into them. This should work out cheaper and you can control the DVD from the front.

Atjo
27-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Or you can do like mine. Use single-din head unit to play music & to connect ipod at the bottom (replacing your cd changer) and double-din head unit at the top for playing movies, sat-nav and reverse camera with sound connection to the head unit at the bottom.

evolution
27-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Wasn't really interested in SatNav. Just want a good bluetooth interface with the ability to fit a reverse camera and a unit that is reliable and user friendly with iPhones. The DVD player is a bonus really as it won't get used much. Will possibly fit a roof mount DVD down the track.

There doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for Clarion here. :)

I got a Clarion MAX686BT 2 DIN unit up front and a clarion 10.2" roof mount.

Reason why I went for Clarion was because it came with most functions as standard (Blue Tooth, ability to read Avi files, reverse camera input and ipod connectivity) vs the rest of the HU at the time when I bought it. It checked all the right boxes, but the Alpine and Kenwood User Interface beats the Clarion one, and to get the same functionality as the Clarion it would cost quite a bit more.

ella79
29-07-2011, 09:39 PM
I have just bought a 2010 model Odyssey Luxury and want to install front and rear parking sensors. Has anyone fitted front and rear sensors, and if so, could you possibly post photos of the set-up (on-dash display, etc) and let me know the brand that you used? At the moment I am meant to be having them fitted by a woman working out of the Honda dealership where I bought the car (who hand;es after-market accessories), but she is really annoying me at the moment (doesn't seem to know that much about the product, gave me the wrong brand name when i asked so that i could look up the specs online, doesn't even have a broachure for me, is charging me a fortune, etc). I got a quote from Tint-a-Car today which is much more reasonable, and they at least told me the brand of product they use - Parksafe. My concern with both of the systems is that they'll look "tacked-on", unlike a reversing camera display screen which can be nicely mounted within the console... i don't want a reversing camera though. I would like Bluetooth and a DVD player if there is anything around that does them cheaply... any advice?

Philip Lee
31-07-2011, 11:22 AM
If u are getting a HU with screen, adding a rear cam will be cheaper than fitting front and rear sensors.

The cost of hardware will be similar but labour will be higher for (f&r) sensors.

ella79
31-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the reply Philip. I went into Honda again and made her show me another car which had the sensors installed on them, and they actually seem quite good, and unobtrusive, so I'm going to go ahead with them. I went into Alberts Hi-Fi and they've talked me into a HU which has DVD, Bluetooth, USB Connectivity, etc, (no Sat Nav or Reverse camera, which i don't want anyway). It's only marginally more than the Parrot Bluetooth I was looking at anyway, and it looks much neater as it will be fully integrated within the dash, and i can hook up a rear monitor to it in the future too if i want to...