PDA

View Full Version : Buying Custom Exhaust Questions

EK1 Civic
14-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Hey i finally got all my parts for my exhaust sourced waiting for my cat converter which should hopefully arrive 2morro or next week.

I'm pretty set on getting a 2 inch mild steel mandrel bent piping for my ek1 civic. I don't want tinny/raspy noise from the stainless steel, however i plan to keep the ek for another 5yrs so stainless might be better but we'll see. So basically im at the point of searching for a decent exhaust shop. I got 3 questions that i think would be great to ask to spot out a decent shop, was wondering if anyone else has got anything else to add. Ill be searching for shops probably monday.

Questions i thought of so far.
1. The thickness of piping used?
2. Will their be any warranty offered on the work?
3. Welding? (Wondering if anyone knows what type of welding i should be asking for)

So if anyone with experience has anything else that i should add to my question list please help xD

trism
14-04-2011, 08:01 PM
stock motor? do you plan on doing an engine swap at any stage?

Personally, an exhaust on a stock EK1 would be the last thing id be doing.

But if youre planning on say, a b swap in a year or so, id get ab exhaust to suit that, so you dont have to get another when it happens.

EK1 Civic
14-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Im currently running a sri wit cai feed. Got headers, muffler sitting in the shed atm. I don't plan to change the motor or anything like that. And yes its a stock motor, think stock ek1 size is 1.75 inch for the exhaust so going 2inch isnt a dramatic change. Just want to know wat i should be asking when i ring exhaust shops to find out a good shop out of the bunch. My only plans for performance wise are just i/h/e rather waste my money on a different platform and when im off my p's.

trism
14-04-2011, 08:08 PM
not much.

As long as you know if it has a warranty, and how much it is, thats about all you can do over the phone.

unless you actually have a look at their work, you cant really judge anything else.

EK1 Civic
14-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Fair enough I heard ringwood performance exhaust or something rather have a good reputation. Anyone else care to recomend a place to check out? I live in the western suburbs of melbourne btw so no sydney locations lol =/ or anything to add to my question list?

mugen_ctr
15-04-2011, 12:38 AM
1. thickness will depend on the material used, definite get mild steel, sure its a bit heavier but gives off a nicer tone, stainless steel is a bit more pricey, but looks nicer, again the note is more raspy
2.Warranty, again, depends on the place, usually they wont offer it, as its a custom job.... but odds are if any problems arise, they hopefully should help u out
3.Welding, dont bother, they just do what they can lol... as long as its a constant weld material all around, no leaks, than its a solid weld, im not a welder, but from what i know, it should b fine lol

Definite go with 2.25, most places would recommend it, i got my custom pipe at A1 exhause, its a franchise...good solid welds, an happy with the end results

And also ask for a hotdog to be put in place :D

jeremydawg
15-04-2011, 09:33 AM
I think 2.25 is too much for a stock motor. Just ask for 2" press bend

EK1 Civic
15-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Yeah im pretty much gonna go for 2 inch mild steel in mandrel. Not like your cars gonna be seen from underneath =/ and im hoping it will last the 5 years. Press will work fine but i dont mind spending a little more getting it all mandrel. Plus my mufflers a twinloop gonna be enough of a restriction xD. I'll add A1 exhausts to my list, seen it somewhere in the yellow pages. Yeah im getting a resonator for the system to figured id just buy it directly from the place then source one my self.

jeremydawg
15-04-2011, 12:24 PM
you could get mandrel but it wont make a difference. You dont have future plans for the car so may aswell save some money and go press bend. Either way it will probably give you 1-2kw max.

Personally i wouldnt mod this motor. just sayin. :)

EK1 Civic
15-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Yeah i dont plan to mod it any further then i/h/e for the sound xD

dougie_504
15-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Fair enough I heard ringwood performance exhaust or something rather have a good reputation. Anyone else care to recomend a place to check out? I live in the western suburbs of melbourne btw so no sydney locations lol =/ or anything to add to my question list?

Yes they have a decent reputation, and they DO use good piping (thickness). I've had work done there a few times myself, and several more of my friends have too.

2" is perfect for stock D16 - don't go 2.25"! Mild steel for street sound. Mandrel bends aren't needed for street use.

I'm not sure about warranty.

As for durability...mild steel will last you 5 years mate.

EK1 Civic
15-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Yes they have a decent reputation, and they DO use good piping (thickness). I've had work done there a few times myself, and several more of my friends have too.

2" is perfect for stock D16 - don't go 2.25"! Mild steel for street sound. Mandrel bends aren't needed for street use.

I'm not sure about warranty.

As for durability...mild steel will last you 5 years mate.

Mind hitting me up with their contact details? With work being done did you like ring up and they did the work the next day? Wondering if i should be calling ahead of schedule.

dougie_504
15-04-2011, 04:44 PM
You could have googled them lol.

Performance Exhaust
9870 4977
On New Street in Ringwood (hang a right as you're coming down Whitehorse/Maroondah and it's on your left)

My jobs were small - installing cat-backs that I already had etc. They can usually do things like that on the day or the day after. My brother had his XForce header, Magnaflow cat, FGK powergetter cat-back installed (including some flex pipe etc) in about 1.5 hours.

Their price is decent. Ask about warranty.

EK1 Civic
15-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Well i live on the west side its time to experience the other side xD. Thanks for the info and yeah i kinda googled em after my post lol. Will be giving them a ring on monday for a quote and warranty. Thanks for the help though :D

dougie_504
15-04-2011, 05:25 PM
They're open tomorrow AFAIK

EK1 Civic
15-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Yeah till 12 and my cat hasnt arrived so i wont bother calling till monday. Plus i need to call my mate to help me install my headers, his got a breaker bar and i couldnt undo the 2 spring bolts connecting to the cat with my little spanner last time i tried.

dougie_504
16-04-2011, 12:27 PM
I'd just take it all to the shop at once. You won't save a lot of money installing your own header. And they'll probably need to install flex-pipe around the cat/header anyway. Saves you the trouble :)

EK1 Civic
16-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Last time i rang around when i had trouble everyone wanted $150 for the header install =/ Rather save the 150 haha.

dougie_504
16-04-2011, 02:44 PM
But if you do it all at once it shouldn't be too much. They installed my brother's header, cat, flex-pipe and cat-back for about $200 in 1.5 hours.

EK1 Civic
16-04-2011, 02:59 PM
hmm ill give a ring early monday morning, my mates gonna help me on monday so ill call before that and see wats wat xD

wow i google mapped them and there 1hr 50min drive from me =/ maybe ill look for something tats a 1hr drive at most lol

EK1 Civic
19-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Anyways getting my exhaust done 2morro. Its gonna be 2 inch 1.6mm aluminized mild steel mandrel bent. As well as fitting my cat/muffler for $250. Resonator will cost $70 if i want it after i test out the car. My mate helped me get the headers on so happy about that.

jeremydawg
19-04-2011, 01:16 PM
My hate helped me get the headers on so happy about that.

^ awesome. good to see you can channel your "hate" on something and it all works out lol. Im sure you meant "mate"

EK1 Civic
19-04-2011, 02:02 PM
LOL ye my bad meant mate =.="

dougie_504
20-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Anyways getting my exhaust done 2morro. Its gonna be 2 inch 1.6mm aluminized mild steel mandrel bent. As well as fitting my cat/muffler for $250. Resonator will cost $70 if i want it after i test out the car. My mate helped me get the headers on so happy about that.

So exhaust in mild steel and mandrel bends + cat/muffler install for $250 total? That sounds pretty good. I'd get the resonator though if I were you.

Where you getting it done?

defect
20-04-2011, 05:57 PM
i hope you realise, you're most likely spending money for sound only, the exhaust isnt going to give you much gains, if any..

mugen_ctr
21-04-2011, 07:08 PM
i hope you realise, you're most likely spending money for sound only, the exhaust isnt going to give you much gains, if any..

thats not being very helpful lol, the guy asked a question, we shall give him an answer thats related

u can spend money on anything an not give u any gains, fact of life

jeremydawg
21-04-2011, 07:23 PM
In a way it is helpful. If he was doing it for the sound and was a super noob he would realise its not worth it and save some dough.

WATAJK
21-04-2011, 07:27 PM

Very silly comment, as your a 'stock' exhaust is very restrictive..
Put 2 cars side by side.
Same mods.
1 stock exhaust.
1 Aftermarket exhaust (JDM Brand) or Custom

There will be a noticeable difference as it frees up the exhaust flow.

jeremydawg
21-04-2011, 07:38 PM
i dont think its a silly comment. Putting an exhaust on a car like that will prob give you 1kw. Its not about performance increase with this car. It will give you better flow but very minimal difference.

dougie_504
21-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Maybe I should test. Dyno my Civic before and after cat-back :D

EK1 Civic
21-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Sorry had work haha. Yeah exhaust is done, got it done at radiant exhausts which is a 3min drive and they did a good job. The twinloop sounds like a cannon sort of without a resonator just not as loud. Once u pass 2700 revs it sounds like a sss pulsar with an exhaust. Cars not running atm was changing tranmission fluid and engine wouldnt start. I think i accidentally disconnected the transmission ground, had to rush to work in mums car so no clue. Will check and post back later. I turn the key basically and all i hear is fuel being pumped from the fuel pump but no spark or anything xD.

EK1 Civic
22-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Anyways fixed missed the exhaust sound =D