PDA

View Full Version : Aerosol sound deadener vs the Paint-on stuff

WarrenM
16-04-2011, 12:33 PM
I read some comments that Aerosol sound deadener (in the 400g cans) for the wheel arches is just too thin to work. Despite this, I bought 3 cans of 3M Sound Deadener from SupaCheap Auto and used them up on my 4 wheel arches. The result is pretty good,, but I am wondering whether there are still improvements to be gained by slapping on a whole lot more!

I'll try to give an indication as to how tyre-to-road sound has changed.

When driving on new high quality roads, I'm guessing there is at least a 5 dB drop in volume, and the noise which is coming through is much lower frequency. The effect is very significant.

When driving on roads with ridges every say 10 metres, the thud when hitting each ridge is very repressed and is much shorter. It is still noticeable.

When hitting breaks in the asphalt, the thud is still very noticeable but radically less than it was.

Could I expect further improvements with more sound deadening, or is this as much wheel arch improvement as I can reasonably expect?

tony1234
16-04-2011, 07:43 PM
You may get a bit more improvement if you apply more.Warren where did you spray?On the plastic splash guards?

WarrenM
16-04-2011, 08:03 PM
You may get a bit more improvement if you apply more.Warren where did you spray?On the plastic splash guards?

Plastic splash guard, metal arch, metal vertical behind the wheel (avoiding moving parts of course), and the surface of the cylinder surrounding the suspension struts above the arch. Have I missed anywhere important? Is there anywhere else under the car I should be sound deadening?

Cleaned with a dry towel rag first, getting rid of sand, dirt and brake dust. Then sprayed with 3M Wax and Grease Remover and wiped with another piece of towel to catch anything which was dislodged by the 3M stuff. Then another light spray of Wax and Grease Remover and let it dry for a minute or two before spraying the Sound Deadener. Two fairly heavy coats with about 5 minutes drying between them. Used 3 full cans for 4 wheel arches.

Regards
Warren