PDA

View Full Version : VIC Return of the Power to weight ratio for p platers? Man, vicroads are so dumb......

drsilliez
17-04-2011, 02:27 AM
i know this aint a new topic but since its a newish article.....

well i wouldnt mind the return of the power to weight ratio in victoria, it means that less p platers driving s2000 lol

whether they it be power to weight ratio or the no v8/turbo/supercharge laws etc, both aint perfect and need tweaking....

btw victorian p platers...

under current laws, vicroads want u to drive a lotus elise but ur not allowed to drive a 1.4L holden cruze or a small 77kw golf lol.... so all the p platers out there, its time to save up for an elise! lol

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/new-technology-making-nonsense-of-vicroads-pplater-car-restrictions-20110327-1cbxb.html

so is this the return of the power to weight ratio?

fillit
17-04-2011, 03:17 PM
also keep in mind that they aren't putting safety features into the equation, one could argue you would be probably safer off crashing at a high speed in a new amg merc as opposed to a old VL/VN commodore. (not that anyone is recommended to do so) there was actually an article not long ago where this rich girls parents bought her a 200k merc, cops pulled her over and fined her for driving overpower vehicle on Ps, then they bought her a corolla to meet the requirements. I believe they took it to the courts as the merc, although powerful, is probably a million times safer than the corolla.

I think power to weight ratio makes the most sense, as essentially the government is trying to keep P platers away from powerful cars, again there are flaws such as dc5r/ep3r/s2k where they produce as much power as S13s S14s turbos. then like you say restraining people from 1.4L cruzes. They should also take car safety into consideration, so people who can get better cars don't end up with shitboxes.

mugen_ctr
17-04-2011, 04:03 PM
doubt the power to weight ratio would come into effect again, considering that alot of the affordable and cheap cars are turbo, it makes sense to keep this rule in check, its easy to up the power on turbo, cooler, boost controller as such an bam! 20-30% increase
I say stick to the current rules

Lukey
17-04-2011, 04:50 PM
how about both sets of rules.

im on my full licence so i dont really care, haha.

Fredoops
17-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Government and Common sense.

They ARE mutually exclusive you know....

Imma save up for a Caterham R500 just for lols.

fillit
17-04-2011, 05:38 PM
just have a list of banned turbo cars, and give them out when people are obtaining their Ls and Ps

Fredoops
17-04-2011, 05:43 PM
just have a list of banned turbo cars, and give them out when people are obtaining their Ls and Ps

that list will take like 50 focus groups and 100 million dollars... and 10 years to make.

Oxer
18-04-2011, 12:16 AM

This :D

DA9-47
18-04-2011, 08:07 AM

3rd that ^^^^^
, i think l and p platers should have more training,too many tools on the road, ohh and when u hit 65 you should have to resit the test.........

sxmachine
20-04-2011, 04:28 PM

4th this!!! the rules make it cheaper for me/us full licenced people to buy turbo'd cars :)

dougie_504
20-04-2011, 06:19 PM
None of it makes sense. The Gen2 CRX SiR is legal under both circumstances. It makes 117.9kw at just under a tonne of weight. It has a 1/5 star safety rating and is a very dangerous car. And I love it :D

EK1 Civic
21-04-2011, 10:55 PM
None of it makes sense. The Gen2 CRX SiR is legal under both circumstances. It makes 117.9kw at just under a tonne of weight. It has a 1/5 star safety rating and is a very dangerous car. And I love it :D

LOL FUNNY KID HAHA. Im on my P's i could care less either way. One i hate v8s so annoying and a 300zx tt/supra tt drain alot of fuel so even tho there nice cars running them would be a bitch.

anzai
22-04-2011, 12:23 PM
man if i could drive a v8 i would.. the noise it makes with the right bolt on mods is jizzz... too bad i probably wont be able to afford petrol for it

dougie_504
25-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Can't say being a P-plater ever bothered me. I've owned cars that I consider to be nice, functional, quick and very fun. I don't drink often enough or heavily enough to be worried about a booze bus.

I'd like to own a V8 one day though...

Lukey
25-04-2011, 10:30 PM
real men drive v8s

EK1 Civic
25-04-2011, 11:08 PM
I cant stand the v8 bogans in my area doing burnouts and fishtailing wrecking the road. Let alone being inside of a v8 =.=" id kill myself before the noise did.

DA9-47
26-04-2011, 05:58 PM
I'd get a v8 if petrol wasn't so expensive! SV6's rape stock 5lt and stays close with 5.7lts, real men know how to drive anything!!

stevo716
26-04-2011, 09:38 PM
I'd get a v8 if petrol wasn't so expensive! SV6's rape stock 5lt and stays close with 5.7lts, real men know how to drive anything!!

a sv6 wouldnt get close to l98 6.0lt
also big difference they take soo well to mods, intake, exhuast tune, close to 280kw atws, so yup

also dedicated liquid gas injection, thats wat i wud do, more power than petrol and fraction of cost :)

soz for goin off topic

DA9-47
27-04-2011, 11:17 PM
a sv6 wouldnt get close to l98 6.0lt

I aggree, sept SV6's dont do to bad on mods as well, and the new ones come in dedicated liuid gas injection as well, they are great for daily driver, and the fastest ecconomy N/A 6's ive driven, got mine with all mods so dont know what they like stock but not real fast id say.

soz for going off topic again :(

bboyzell
28-04-2011, 04:19 PM
I had a 88 CRX ED9 with a B16a for most of my P's, went hard, had no trouble with the police..
..funny how people in falcondoors that where almost stock had the cops on em all the time.

On my full ticket now so dont really car. :D didnt need a turbo on my P's ol Vtec was enough