PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers

liberty68
17-04-2011, 10:30 AM
hi

looking at lowering my car any advise what to get , want to have good comfortable ride

thank guys

THEEYA
17-04-2011, 10:53 AM
first off, have you owned a car with coilovers before, if not, i would advise going with a good shock/spring combo if u want comfortability.

steeeven
17-04-2011, 11:07 AM
short answer: you won't get comfort with coils

imprezu
17-04-2011, 12:32 PM
eibachs springs with bilstein or koni yellow shocks...or even monroe shocks good combo right there

tony1234
17-04-2011, 12:58 PM
first off, have you owned a car with coilovers before, if not, i would advise going with a good shock/spring combo if u want comfortability.

^^^^As above

liberty68
17-04-2011, 02:52 PM
thanks for advice , will lowering car effect fuel consumption ?

damienm
17-04-2011, 03:41 PM
no it wont....

Fredoops
17-04-2011, 05:09 PM
no it wont....

not according to the hippies at ecomodder.com

http://ecomodder.com/forum/fuel-economy-mpg-modifications.php#53 :lol:

damienm
17-04-2011, 05:37 PM
lol 4mpg.....

Fredoops
17-04-2011, 05:39 PM
lol 4mpg.....

4mpg is like 8% better consumption on that geo... not a small amout while looking better lol

akina
18-04-2011, 12:41 AM
I had comfort with Tein SS coilovers.
With the euros weight, it sits on the bounces lol.

Chiko
18-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Hey mate. I recently fitted a set of coilovers to my CU2 Euro Lux and it was the best money I ever spent. I used Pedders Adjustable Coil-overs (Basically a re-branded a slightly upgraded BC Coilover). They are fully adjustable and to be honest ive noticed no difference in ride quality, you can adjust it to harder or softer settings to suit what you want, plus you can adjust and re-adjust your height in the future for instance if you change wheels or upgrade tyre sizes, fit a body kit etc u can re-adjust it for basically no cost. And the handling improvement was astonishing. Round abouts at 70km/h without any body roll makes for excellent driving :)

liberty68
18-04-2011, 06:44 PM
chiko ,

does your set up effect fuel economy ?

imprezu
18-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Lol dont worry bout fuel ecnomoy..with petrol prices these days it wont be going any lower.....lowering does not effect your fuel if it does its probably very minor like verry very very minor...

kural7
18-04-2011, 08:58 PM
dude as they mentioned get your ass into a few cars with coilovers and then a few with eibach etc springs. you'll be giving up a lot of comfort. especially on speed humps and ditches in the road.

imprezu
18-04-2011, 11:15 PM
mate tell ya now..its not the same with u lower ur car, youll feel every bump on the road...but youll get over it cause it makes the car look sexy hahaha

Chiko
19-04-2011, 08:46 AM
liberty68 - no lowering a car definately wouldnt improve fuel economy. You might say possibly wind drag is reduced but nothing worth mentioning. I definately wouldnt install coil overs or lowered suspension if your main aim was fuel reduction. Wether you lower your car with coilovers or use lowered springs and shocks you will still have reduced ride quality but it depends what you look for in ride quality. Ive always had lowered cars with good suspension and I like having accurate feedback through my suspension set ups and I like a firm handling car. I found that I didnt like the way my Euro handled from factory, yes it was nice and floaty and felt like I was in an arm chair but i felt like it pushed the nose to hard through any decent corner. At the end of the day - different strokes for different blokes. If you want your car to look sweet and handle well and possibly would want to adjust the height again in the future to suit other mods (wheels/kit etc) then go coil overs. If you just want it to look better and take a slightly cheaper option, go springs/shocks. And if you just want it to be lower but handle exactly the same as it does now give up cause you will always sacrifice that comfortable lounge chair like ride quality if you want to look good :)

Chiko
19-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Sorry for the rant I got carried away

kural7
19-04-2011, 09:44 AM
guys are the stock shock god enough to handle eibach springs? i only want a small drop nothing major don't want to loose comfort.

imprezu
19-04-2011, 12:13 PM
yeah it is man..im running eibachs with stock shocks at the moment and its sweet...

kural7
19-04-2011, 04:50 PM
sweet any more opinions. i think i have enough to just run eibach with stock shocks i just don't want to have to re-buy shock later that will kill me..

aaronng
19-04-2011, 05:50 PM
guys are the stock shock god enough to handle eibach springs? i only want a small drop nothing major don't want to loose comfort.

yeah it is man..im running eibachs with stock shocks at the moment and its sweet...

sweet any more opinions. i think i have enough to just run eibach with stock shocks i just don't want to have to re-buy shock later that will kill me..

After a few years, you'll find that the stock shocks will leak because you are running them beyond the shock travel range. So start saving up for some proper Bilstein shocks. :p

kural7
19-04-2011, 07:09 PM
how much are the bilstein shocks?

imprezu
20-04-2011, 12:45 AM
your looking at about 1.2K i think just for the shocks and about 160 for labour...i got a quote from wholesale suspension for those shocks btw

DEIFIC
20-04-2011, 01:17 AM
1.2k feck may swell spend the few extra hundred and get coils.. U can always adjust the stiffness of them..

Chiko
20-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Which brings us full circle back to what I orginally said - just buy the coilovers. Do it right the first time. Ive done plenty of cars and the cheap option TODAY always ends up being the expensive option tomorow because you end up doing it twice, or upgrading it again later on. And like he said - if you run a stock shock on lowered springs its ok for a while but you will flog out the seal's and end up with a leaking shock. Not to mention your reducing your shock travel range by 30% or so which means your shock is always half way compressed, it drastically reduces the amount of actual travel/absorbsion. I just think if your gonna do something - do it right the first time :) Lowered springs in a stock shock is how they lower VR Commodore's in Ispwich - not Honda Euro's :)

aaronng
20-04-2011, 08:09 AM
One is not better than the other. Coils vs springs&shocks really come down to what you are going to do with your car. If it is going to go on the track once or twice a year, then go coils. But if your car will be on the street only, then a eibach + bilstein setup shits all over my Tein Flex because the spring and damper rates are perfect for the bumps and undulations on the street. For example, the spring and shock just takes the corner hard while absorbing the bumps, while my Tein Flex bounces, causing my car to lose grip mid corner if there is a bump.

Chiko
20-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Yeah I guess its all up to the user. For me tho I couldnt see saving in money vs the handling/adjustment capabilities of a coil over. But as far as im concerned, lowering a car with the standard shocks is just budget and half arsed (IMO!)

kural7
20-04-2011, 11:51 AM
the qoute for 1.2K on the shocks are they original or after market? how much would a stock shock and spring combo cost as opposed to coil-overs?

imprezu
22-04-2011, 04:39 PM
nah they were for bilstein shocks, get the eibach springs from jdm they got em on sale at them moment for $440 i believe. basically your lookin at about 1.8k or above. im gna wear out my stock shocks before i buy the new shocks lol

MKI4EVA
22-04-2011, 09:37 PM
AUD is at 1.0740 man......msg hilltoe and get yourself a bargain.......heard from ppl on here you can get TeinSS for $1,300'ish shipped.