PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Question

Aaron1259
17-04-2011, 10:15 PM
What in your opinion are a better sounding subwoofer. Grandma just put a couple of g's into my account, so thought Id'e spend it LOL.

I already got a Rockford T1500-1bd Monoblock amp (1500rms)

I'm pretty keen on getting either:
1) dual Kicker L7 12" or
2) solo Kicker L7 15"

What would sound better?

trism
17-04-2011, 10:18 PM
well,

1. there is an audio section for this kind of question
2. go listen
3. dual 12s

mao
17-04-2011, 11:16 PM
The dual kicker L7s would be best,, they will produce a tighter base with the right box configuration.

NightKids
18-04-2011, 02:13 AM
Image dynamics or JL Audio W7, there will be no better sub for the price...

trism
18-04-2011, 05:06 AM
I am with nightkids however, the image dynamics idmax will take plenty of power, and sound awesome doing it.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

arverson
18-04-2011, 05:39 PM
I'd chuck Morel Ultimo in the mix too. Maybe a Boston Acoustic G5 if you can find one for sale (discontinued model yet still a quality driver). I'd pick an idmax, w6/7, ultimo & g5 (and others) over a l7 with no hesitation.. But it's your money. Is there a reason why you're limiting yourself to kicker?

Also, what about the front stage? What have you got there? Don't compromise up there by spending too much of your budget on the sub bass aspect, Sub bass covers a very small part of music...

imprezu
18-04-2011, 07:12 PM
dude go for JLs! theres no better sub than JLs

trism
18-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Uneducated reply there.

There is A LOT of better subs than jl audio

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

jeremydawg
18-04-2011, 10:07 PM
I'd chuck Morel Ultimo in the mix too. Maybe a Boston Acoustic G5 if you can find one for sale (discontinued model yet still a quality driver). I'd pick an idmax, w6/7, ultimo & g5 (and others) over a l7 with no hesitation.. But it's your money. Is there a reason why you're limiting yourself to kicker?

Also, what about the front stage? What have you got there? Don't compromise up there by spending too much of your budget on the sub bass aspect, Sub bass covers a very small part of music...

True^. i hope your not getting a sub to make your rear-view mirror dance. Ive got a small sub in my boot thats good enough. If you had the perfect setup with Very good speakers, sound deadening and well mounted you wouldnt need a sub

Aaron1259
19-04-2011, 06:28 PM
I was thinking a 15" (the JL 15w6) and two smaller 10" (Fosgate punch P1S410) or should i just get the two 12" L7s?

jeremydawg
19-04-2011, 06:34 PM
one 12" sub will do i reckon

Best speakers i have ever had are Alpine type r's.

androo
19-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Out of the two that you posted OP, I would take option 1. Wire them up as stereo and it would be awesome compared to 1 =]

trism
19-04-2011, 07:55 PM
one 12" sub will do i reckon

Best speakers i have ever had are Alpine type r's.

you havnt head much then....

Also, dont forget, you need to spend at least as much on the amp as you do on the sub.

so if its gonna cost you 500 bucks, dont spend less than that on an amp.

also, make sure when buying an amp you look at RMS power not max, and try to get an amp whose RMS power exceeds the continous rated power handling of the subs.

That way you can have the gains turned down, and youll treat it easier and itll last longer, run cooler,. etc etc.

Think of it this way, two engines both make 300hp. One does it at 8k rpm, and lasts only 2 weeks before it blows up and one does it at 2k rpm, and lasts forever.

same deal.

jeremydawg
19-04-2011, 08:18 PM
lol, i havent. but for the price they were dayum good

mikey72
21-04-2011, 04:43 AM
Out of the two that you posted OP, I would take option 1. Wire them up as stereo and it would be awesome compared to 1 =]

Subwoofer's aren't meant to be a directional speaker. When i say this i mean that a car's sound system is usually set up as 2.1 stereo. The 2 refer's to 2 channels of directional feed (left and right) and 1 channel of non directional (sub). Having your subs set up in a stereo format can cause horrible, horrible noises. If the subs are playing two different notes or sounds at once it can cause horrible dissonance (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dissonance) resulting in a really bad listening experience. You may also cause a bad bass trap in the boot with one sub trying to push against another set of vibrations in the air, this could potentially cause damage to the subwoofer.

Just my two cents worth

mikey72
21-04-2011, 04:52 AM
you havnt head much then....

Also, dont forget, you need to spend at least as much on the amp as you do on the sub.

so if its gonna cost you 500 bucks, dont spend less than that on an amp.

also, make sure when buying an amp you look at RMS power not max, and try to get an amp whose RMS power exceeds the continous rated power handling of the subs.

That way you can have the gains turned down, and youll treat it easier and itll last longer, run cooler,. etc etc.

Think of it this way, two engines both make 300hp. One does it at 8k rpm, and lasts only 2 weeks before it blows up and one does it at 2k rpm, and lasts forever.

same deal.

Very good advice, just make sure to turn the gain down! Don't wanna burn out those speakers within a week. :)