PDA

View Full Version : Log Book Servicing

captdel
19-04-2011, 11:56 AM
gday all, ive done some reading on other posts, but thought id start a new one as the others seem quite outdated.

I've just booked my CL9 in to get its 40k service, and thought id share my experience.
I have phoned four different places, with a quoted range of $170 - $512 (im in Perth, southern suburbs).

Some places said I would need my spark plugs changed, others said I wouldnt. After checking the log book the only parts listed are the Oil Filter, Air Filter and Oil.
Is there anything else I should ask them to look at while its getting serviced?

Im about to drive it around 2000k over the easter break, hence the rush to get it servied before hand.

Let me know your experiences aswell, interesting to see the cost differences from around Australia.

Fredoops
19-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Revive an old thread is always a good idea cause of the wealth of information in those old threads.

In regards to servicing, Honda dealers rip people off on services mostly, especially minor services.

Few points:
1, Honda OEM sparklers are iridium, so they will last 100k.
2, Honda OEM filter is paper made.. And kinda crap, get a K&N one instead( and k@n is cleanable and reusable)
3, Always ask dealers what oil they are using for your service... Almost all Honda dealers don't use Honda engine oil.
4, you can use other engine oil, but brake fluid, power steering fluid and auto transmission fluid have to be Honda genuine
5, Accord Euro likes full synthetic oil (such as Honda FEO ultra, castrol edge sport, mobil 1 etc). Oil shouldn't be thicker than 10w-40. Euro prefer 5w-30.
6, your service is a minor service.... Shouldn't cost more than $150...
7, ..however if your car is automatic I'd suggest get a fluid change for the transmission... Because honda's auto tranny is it's weakest link... You'd want it to run in the best condition possible.
8, if you do decide to use own oil for service (always a good idea so you know exactly what is being used) ask the service centre to take the cost of oil off their quote.

Ps: don't forget to get the recall done on your CL9. the power steering hose should be replaced and a sleeve added.

05accordeuro
19-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Well in regards to spark plugs, I just gone mine replaced at the 100k interval, and the bloke said they will last around 100k

Fredoops
19-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Well in regards to spark plugs, I just gone mine replaced at the 100k interval, and the bloke said they will last around 100k
Correct, iridium sparklers can last 100k plus... But it'll last considerably less if you run crappy fuel however...

opilot87
19-04-2011, 10:40 PM
That's a fair range in price! Considering there is not much work to be done, might be a good idea just go to one of the cheaper places. However as Fredoops said, it would be worthwhile putting some decent oil in the car, so just buy the oil yourself beforehand and supply it to them to use in the service. Often they will not discount the price they charge your for oil off the service if you do this too. And agreed on the trans flush, not sure exactly how often you are supposed to get it done, but it's far too long and if it was my car I would flush it at least once in between its scheduled time.

Just checked that the service you get includes ALL the parts you listed, and nothing more.

Ollie

kural7
21-04-2011, 09:41 PM
just to emphasize on whats going on with the dealers i was getting a major service done. Honda was charging me 950+ so i told them they can shove it. i bought the spark plugs off ebay $50 original NGK. bought all the fliuds myself (from honda and requested traddie prices, including clutch brake etc.. even radiator fluid the lot. got a qualified mechanic to put one and two together and it ended up costing me 350. of course if your car's logbooks haven't been stolen :( best to get it stamped. btw any1 know where i can get a new copy of one some pricks broke into my car and thats all they took.

jono_l
22-04-2011, 01:52 AM
btw any1 know where i can get a new copy of one some pricks broke into my car and thats all they took.

You can get them at any Honda service department mate. Cost me $90 a few months ago, needed to write a letter to Honda Australia explaining why I was asking for a replacement (apparently nicked out of the glovebox at the used car yard) and provide details of the vehicle and proof of ownership too. Took about 3 weeks til I got the new one, which came pre-stamped with all the previous Honda services.

kural7
22-04-2011, 12:15 PM
so if my book wasn't done by honda i can't get it?

jono_l
23-04-2011, 10:37 AM
so if my book wasn't done by honda i can't get it?

They should still supply it, but any services not done by Honda will be stamped "This service was not completed at an authorised Honda dealer according to Honda Australia's records" or something to that effect. Not a huge deal if you've got proof of getting it serviced elsewhere