PDA

View Full Version : Changing to an external coil & using MSD blaster 2 - do you need a resistor??

Val
19-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Hi all, i've ran into problems with my ignition, and after changing the coil i still had no spark so i wanted to do the whole rotor and dizzy cap, and change to an external coil while im at it. I've bought a kit which consisted of the MSD blaster 2 coil (which has a female plug for the coil which i have to convert now) and a MSD external coil cap.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/4923/16042011289.jpg (http://img821.imageshack.us/i/16042011289.jpg/)

Im not running the multispark unit 6AL. The instructions have directions on how to wire up the coil with the multispark unit, or without it i might need to have a resistor in line.

So what im after is does anyone know you actually need to put in an 0.8 Ohm resistor when installing on a d16y1? I read in another thread that there is one built into the cap.

Anyone else install an external coil without the multispark?? I know there is also a SS external coil, not sure if that's different from the blaster 2 coil internally.

e240
19-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Hmm..No spark - is your Ignitor working in the first place? thats the small flat thingy in the dizzy with connectors on it..next to the coil

Val
19-04-2011, 02:42 PM
the ignition module? I got no idea to be honest. I've checked all the contacts in the dizzy for voltage & resistance as per the workshop manual and it was ok so i presumed it was the dizzy cap/rotor connections. I wanted to put in the external coil and re-test again, im hoping for my car to finally fire up.. the ignition module would be the next thing on my list.

e240
19-04-2011, 03:26 PM
I'd check the ignition Module first - because from what I understand, that tends to fail first before the coil...

Limbo
19-04-2011, 04:08 PM
you need to wire the external coil to the internal wiring and unplug and/or remove your internal coil. Its 2 wires and these need to be extended out to the coil. You also need to drill a hole in the cap for the wires to extend out.
DSP26 did a write up a while ago

Your problem is that if your ignitor is stuffed your coil is gonna get nothing.
Also if there are problems with your distributor system, the coil is only gonna make it worse

Val
19-04-2011, 04:13 PM
How do i check the ICM? Sorry i haven't got the manual with me.

Val
19-04-2011, 04:26 PM
you need to wire the external coil to the internal wiring and unplug and/or remove your internal coil. Its 2 wires and these need to be extended out to the coil. You also need to drill a hole in the cap for the wires to extend out.
DSP26 did a write up a while ago

Your problem is that if your ignitor is stuffed your coil is gonna get nothing.
Also if there are problems with your distributor system, the coil is only gonna make it worse

I've seen Beeza's write up of the connections of a similar system, but he had to convert his dizzy to accept the external coil, while mine already came like that. But he also used the multispark unit, im trying to wire up without it. I'll see if I can get hold of a new ICU somewhere

Limbo
19-04-2011, 05:36 PM
you don't need the muilt spark on the setup so long as you get the coil that does not require it.
DSP26's DIY did it without the multispark.

sometimes the ignitor goes if you run a stronger external coil without upgrading the ignitor

e240
19-04-2011, 07:08 PM
I have a dizzy from a non Vtec D16 - don't know if it'll fit but if it does, you can have it for free

TODA AU
19-04-2011, 07:10 PM
FFS, It would've been cheaper to get a new dizzy off US EBay.
& would've fixed your problem too.
Who told you it was a good idea to use an external coil anyway?
They need a slap, It's a D16Y1....
Bad advice.... Very bad advice....

Val
19-04-2011, 08:05 PM
I have a dizzy from a non Vtec D16 - don't know if it'll fit but if it does, you can have it for free

I will research and let you know if i can use it, thanks!

FFS, It would've been cheaper to get a new dizzy off US EBay.
& would've fixed your problem too.
Who told you it was a good idea to use an external coil anyway?
They need a slap, It's a D16Y1....
Bad advice.... Very bad advice....

No one gave me advice. I was looking at a new dizzy, but then thought if i buy this i can mod it later on with multispark. Never considered the fact that the ignition module could be stuffed and how much it costs to replace. So now i have to do with what i can.

I haven't had any luck finding DSP26's DIY, but found his reviews. I didn't see him mention any resistors, i've PM'd him to find out.

Lukey
19-04-2011, 11:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/EricTheCarGuy#p/search/0/9K78XIhhjAQ

Val
20-04-2011, 08:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/EricTheCarGuy#p/search/0/9K78XIhhjAQ

Thanks heaps!

Lukey
20-04-2011, 08:34 PM
no probs, that helped me diagnose that the coil in my dizzy shit itself.

Val
20-04-2011, 11:07 PM
I checked today, no spark. So the module is stuffed, or the ignitor... Can't check the ignitor without the module though lol

Val
21-04-2011, 12:18 PM
I can use any OBD-I ignition module right? My model number is IG-HD003, for a d16y1.

Bludger
26-04-2011, 01:45 AM
I have 2 spare ICM's, you're welcome to come and compare yours to mine.

offload it cheap for you.

One is obd0 b16a and the other is unknown genuine honda.

might work for you.