PDA

View Full Version : Cracked header welds ...you get what you pay for

Psyklops
31-01-2005, 06:02 PM
well my Xforce headers (for D's) have cracked at the welds connecting the primarys to the flange...only on cylinders 2 & 3 mind you, and just at the top :thumbdwn: . Lucky I know someone who will weld them up for free....:thumbsup: ....get my CAI piping welded up at the same time which is cool...anyone else with Xforce headers checked for cracks? I installed mine about 7 months ago...have captured a few pics which I will post up if anyone is curious (I am sure people know what a cracked weld looks like....but if you insist...I'll post them pics)....anyways....they are budget headers, so I sorta ain't surprised in a way...oh well:(

Lukezen27
31-01-2005, 07:17 PM
My Xforce headers D's seem fine tho there only 2 months old:p

Anyway they have a 2 year and 1 year on labor?

Psyklops
31-01-2005, 08:04 PM
i got em through Ebay..the seller is on Sydney...easier to get my mate to do it:p

Weq
31-01-2005, 10:20 PM
have u got a flex?

Psyklops
01-02-2005, 04:46 PM
yeah Weq...a flex pipe was installed replacing the flange fittings on the stock system....that's actually a good point:!: ....I might call the guys who installed it and see what they say. It may turn out their install of the flex pipe caused ths by not allowing enough longitudinal elasticity in the system, placing too high a load on the headers. they deal in Xforce bits too....pity I didn't buy the headers through them...warranty job for sure!

hondar
01-02-2005, 06:35 PM
well my Xforce headers (for D's) have cracked at the welds connecting the primarys to the flange...only on cylinders 2 & 3 mind you, and just at the top :thumbdwn: . Lucky I know someone who will weld them up for free....:thumbsup: ....get my CAI piping welded up at the same time which is cool...anyone else with Xforce headers checked for cracks? I installed mine about 7 months ago...have captured a few pics which I will post up if anyone is curious (I am sure people know what a cracked weld looks like....but if you insist...I'll post them pics)....anyways....they are budget headers, so I sorta ain't surprised in a way...oh well:(

i feel for you mate. :( when u write this.. it reminds of the WTB quick header guide that i write on this thread

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=184428

i have mentioned how header can cracked under extreme condition (point 2) and it must be frustrating for you. :(

mate,
i am not saying budget headers = bad headers, but what happen is usually the quality can be quite varies from one header to another from the same brand. maybe you are just unfortunate to pick the bad one..

WTB QUICK HEADER GUIDE (in random orders)
1. Check that it is near or equal length pipe (it is important as the exhaust flow simultaneously thru firing chamber in an order and this is important to create good low-pressure suction to pull exhaust out of the cylinder (honda has 4 cylinder))

2. Look at the material used... some headers are not rust and heat resistant. and preferably look for thick-wall tubing, i know of header who cracked under extreme performance.

3. Are they mandrel bent? at the moment most of the stock header with the exception of JDM 4-1 header is not mandrel bent... so whats the point of getting a shiny header but it is not mandrel bent as it is restrict exhaust flow.

4. how are the flanges? is too thin? get a thick one as this will prevent exhaust leaks and last much longer.

5. clearance? not affecting the header performance but i know most of us has low rider :D so... u need to check the clearance issue...

jdm 4-1 has suprisingly enough clearance fyi. The trick is the collector are staggered for better ground clearance.
instead of OO it is OO
..............OO.........OO < this is the staggered jdm 4-1 layout

6. installation. some headers dont bolt on properly at all. bottom line is that if u need to fork out extra money to pay for the labour to fix it up, i reckon it is better off buying a better header.

Lukezen27
01-02-2005, 06:50 PM
My XFORCE Headers are a shiny gold colour so are they Mild Steel & Stainless Steel?

Thx Luke

Psyklops
02-02-2005, 05:26 PM
that's what happens to stainless when put under certain temperatures on a constant basis....they are stainless...wait until they get the blue tinge...looks cool

Psyklops
02-02-2005, 05:33 PM
cheers Hondar...yeah it would depend on who fabricated them...metinks the pipe wall thickness is ok...it is more the quality of workmanship in this case...not the materials...an inexperienced or incompetant fabricater is the most likely scenario...no matter....they'll be TIG'd up in a couple of weeks:thumbsup: ..the cracks are not big..only about 0.1mm wide...if that...I know the torque twist of the motor under load an reving on d-changes has caused this.....it could be avoided by incorporating a brace maybe just before the collector I reckon...keep the primarys load free

i feel for you mate. :( when u write this.. it reminds of the WTB quick header guide that i write on this thread

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=184428

i have mentioned how header can cracked under extreme condition (point 2) and it must be frustrating for you. :(

mate,
i am not saying budget headers = bad headers, but what happen is usually the quality can be quite varies from one header to another from the same brand. maybe you are just unfortunate to pick the bad one..