PDA

View Full Version : HID Ballast shat itself?

lzybum
21-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Hey guys

It all happened 2 days, started up my car and turned the hid lights on. All was good. White lights. That only lasted for about 15seconds until the passenger side HID slowly turned purplish-pink. I was like wtfs going why now? Oh well so i left it as it is.

Just today as I was driving home in the night, I turned on my HIDs and the passenger (purplish-pink one) side flickered for a bit, then never turned back on again.

From white (5000k?) to purple (roughly 30000k) then a bust, does that mean my ballast has died due to current overload? Or the bulb is dead? I have a feeling that the ballast is dead because the bulb still flickered.

I'm gona get this checked out tomorow but i thought i'd ask around here first for your opinions as i'm no expert with electronics!

Any info is much appreciated!!

civicboy84
21-04-2011, 11:38 PM
have you recently changed the bulbs because the bulbs needed to be rated at the same as the ballast I made this mistake ...expensive one lol

lzybum
22-04-2011, 06:13 AM
nope, haven't touched or replaced any bulbs!

lzybum
22-04-2011, 12:15 PM
okays, got it checked out, ballast is dead.

now my question is, does it matter if i want to use the RHS ballast for the LHS headlight? would it work/fit?

Edit: what i mean is, as in driver side ballast to work with passenger side headlight.

YLDS2K
22-04-2011, 02:48 PM
There is no difference between sides it's weird this happened to you because this happened to me like a week ago to although atm my car is getting repaired at the beaters and they have quoted me 700 to replace the ballast so I rang honda and they then said $444 Inc GST and I found some on eBay for like 180 shipped. So I rang up the beater again and they said they r going to replace it for $300 'bloody crooks' I personay am running AP2 headlights and can't say that I had the purplish color come on, it just stopped working altogether. Weird also that our ballast are actually manufactured by Mitsubishi