View Full Version : eg5 civic d16a8 dohc with p29 ecu question

PS14EG
22-04-2011, 01:55 PM
hi
i have a civic as stated in the title
it has a d16a8 engine that i have done a bit of work on
i have also converted to turbo charged
the ecu has a fueltronics chip inside it
is there somewhere that retunes these chips to suit the mods or would i be better off taking the chip out and putting in a different one and start from scratch
thanks

TheSaint
23-04-2011, 02:09 PM
chips are a pain in the arse man

i have a D15b7 with D16a6 cam and D16z6 intake manifold and JDM D15b short ratio gearbox - and many other mods
i spent like hundreds of $$$$$ getting P06 and P29 ECU's chipped, and tried tonnes of different chips with different configurations and none of it ever worked properly
the ECU modding was the expensive parts - new chips are only like $40 each tuned from the guys on d-series or ebay
but you are still only getting basemaps

most places WONT do chips - chips are generally a backyard job - so either get in contact with the guys from D-series.org or ebay
OR learn to burn roms and tune urself

all in all - with the amount of time and money you will end up spending on it - throw the chips to the seagulls and buy a proper EMS
find out what your local tuner is using and go with that - personally i would use Hondata, AEM or Motec

mugen_ctr
23-04-2011, 02:19 PM
since u went turbo, id say dont stick to chipped ecu, unless its a hondata S100 which is tuned, go piggy back, if ur cash strapped, or as Saint says, standalone ECU

The only reason why i wouldnt touch the d-series.org or ebay chips is that no one has experience tuning them here, they are cheap as dirt, but it all comes down to the tuner and there availabilities to what they can churn out, and im not willing to put my daily driver as the guinea pig for these chips as well lol

again, just go by what the tuner says, an not always what a forum says, at the end of the day, they are the ones tuning it, not some randoms sitting behind there computer like me LOL

TheSaint
23-04-2011, 07:41 PM
with the chips you are only getting a basemap that is designed to be re-tuned anyway - so it still doesnt really help
and they are all tuned for american fuel which is lower quality than ours
i had so many damn problems with chips i just went back to stock ecu =/

mugen_ctr
24-04-2011, 01:11 AM
with the chips you are only getting a basemap that is designed to be re-tuned anyway - so it still doesnt really help
and they are all tuned for american fuel which is lower quality than ours
i had so many damn problems with chips i just went back to stock ecu =/

i thought u did go through a tuner when u got the chip?
i cant imagine them being to bad lol, once tuned ofcourse, but if its as bad as u say, dam