PDA

View Full Version : 4x100 to 4x114.3

duckey
23-04-2011, 02:28 PM
hey guys,

whats a cheap option for 4x100 to 4x114.3 conversions?

seen adaptors on ebay for $150! are they safe?

cheers

mugen_ctr
23-04-2011, 03:45 PM
adaptors dont cut it, go with a proper hub conversion, the problem lies in the thickness, it changes the whole offset, u would need weak offset rims too run them under the guards

MikeyG
23-04-2011, 03:51 PM
adapters is fine... ive had a friend use one for 2 years and nothing went wrong...

j0nn0
23-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Can I ask why you would want to?

MikeyG
23-04-2011, 03:54 PM
wheel choice perhaps... maybe the wheels he wants is only in 4x114... maybe he wants to be a sick****?

mikey72
23-04-2011, 03:56 PM
my guess would be that either the rim he wants doesn't come in 4x100 or he can get cheap 4x113's.

Adapters/spacers aren't super dangerous if installed right, you just have to know that you can't run big power or toque through them. In the end they are just another link in the chain that can break.

flipfire
23-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Read this

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?130387-Discussion-Wheel-Spacers....-Different-types-pros-and-cons-safety-and-legality

babiiiiiiiiiii
23-04-2011, 06:35 PM
adapter is dangerous mate, better to change the rotor and drum and the whole lot rather do a cheap job coz its about breaking enforcement , just becareful when coming down to this

mugen_ctr
23-04-2011, 06:38 PM
adapter is dangerous mate, better to change the rotor and drum and the whole lot rather do a cheap job coz its about breaking enforcement , just becareful when coming down to this

any real evidence to prove this? just curious, ppl talk about adaptors/spacers, yet i have to see any real hard evidence to prove they are bad

babiiiiiiiiiii
23-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Your wheels are balanced hub-centric because that should be the dead center of the wheel. OE wheels are centered by the hub, but because aftermarket wheels are made for a variety of vehicles, the center hole of the wheel is usually larger than your hub. This requires your lugs to center the wheel which even with the correct lugs to match the taper of your wheel, it may not center, thus causing a vibration. Now, when you add spacers, you are increasing the likely hood of a balance problem because they make it more difficult for the wheel to center itself. They also put more stress on the lugs. Longer studs and ET lug nuts help keep it secure, but try holding a book in close to your body then hold it straight out. The further you move the weight away, the heaver it will get.

trism
23-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Well, in actual fact, all decent spacers/adapters are hubcentric, especially if you get custom made ones, you specify the od diamter of the hub on the car, and the id of the wheel hub, and they make up the adapters to these specs.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this sort of setup.

mugen_ctr
24-04-2011, 01:12 AM
Your wheels are balanced hub-centric because that should be the dead center of the wheel. OE wheels are centered by the hub, but because aftermarket wheels are made for a variety of vehicles, the center hole of the wheel is usually larger than your hub. This requires your lugs to center the wheel which even with the correct lugs to match the taper of your wheel, it may not center, thus causing a vibration. Now, when you add spacers, you are increasing the likely hood of a balance problem because they make it more difficult for the wheel to center itself. They also put more stress on the lugs. Longer studs and ET lug nuts help keep it secure, but try holding a book in close to your body then hold it straight out. The further you move the weight away, the heaver it will get.

thats the theory, indeed, but when put into practice, any hard evidence to prove it? pictures tell 1000 words lol

mugen_ctr
24-04-2011, 01:19 AM

thats the theory, indeed, but when put into practice, any hard evidence to prove it? pictures tell 1000 words lol

duckey
24-04-2011, 03:44 AM
thanks for the replies.

found a set of Advan RG's for 600, only problem is that theyre bloody 114.3 :(

akusuma
24-04-2011, 11:00 AM
You would need longer studs as well so your nuts could sit properly as they are used to.
Regardless I think it could be done safely (by using longer studs and correct center bore) but it would still be illegal at least in VIC.

mikey72
24-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Why would you need longer wheel nuts? He's not buying spacers, he's buying adaptors.

niiCk
24-04-2011, 11:05 AM
You would need longer studs as well so your nuts could sit properly as they are used to.
Regardless I think it could be done safely (by using longer studs and correct center bore) but it would still be illegal at least in VIC.

youre thinking of spacers alone..
these are adaptors..which is like a bolt on spacer but with a different PCD

akusuma
24-04-2011, 11:19 AM
yeah, you are right. I take it back about the point that you would need longer studs

Importsneezer
24-04-2011, 11:28 AM
adaptors are fine, im using projectkics 5x114.3 adaptors on a sti. no dramas for a daily.

babiiiiiiiiiii
24-04-2011, 08:32 PM

maybe put in this way , for normal day use is completely fine coz i had a mate who drive a civic eg as in daily use but he changed to 5stud coz he want that pratiiclar wheel , but which another mate also drive a eg with spacer 5stud conversion but his one is much more modify then the others so at one track day when he changing the wheels it actually cracked on him and he got nothing to backup and its dangerous to drive so end up towaway the car and wasted a day, this is talking from previous experience tho , nothing too bad for using spacer /changing stud for normal day use but it can happens when driving too fast and it can crack on you!!!!

mikey72
24-04-2011, 08:46 PM
maybe put in this way , for normal day use is completely fine coz i had a mate who drive a civic eg as in daily use but he changed to 5stud coz he want that pratiiclar wheel , but which another mate also drive a eg with spacer 5stud conversion but his one is much more modify then the others so at one track day when he changing the wheels it actually cracked on him and he got nothing to backup and its dangerous to drive so end up towaway the car and wasted a day, this is talking from previous experience tho , nothing too bad for using spacer /changing stud for normal day use but it can happens when driving too fast and it can crack on you!!!!

This has already been said. Please don't just go and say it's not safe, because in most cases it will only be used for everyday street driving and for that use they are ok. I'm sure if he wanted to track he would have added into his first post.

babiiiiiiiiiii
25-04-2011, 03:49 AM
pls referr to what i have said before , i am just talking in general experience

Alexx
29-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Biggest problem with adapters is they are usually ~20mm thick. And that severely limits the wheel/tire specs you can run, especially on hondas.

Just do it right and swap your brakes over for 96 spec dc2r items and enjoy the benefits of the 4x114 setup. Fail offset s13 wheels = perfect for 4x114 hondas.

quangsuke
29-04-2011, 01:55 PM
just to add spacers of any kind void insurance :)

not sure with just car though.

food for thought