PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake not holding

Ph@t-G
24-04-2011, 02:41 AM
Hi all,

My 96 ek1's handbrake doesn't seem to be holding at all. I've tighten the handbrake adjuster under the handbrake console but it only seems to hold one wheel but not the other. Would this mean a seized cable or a defective handbrake unit?

Also if it is defective, can the whole unit be replaced as a DIY or best to let a mechanic do it? Anyone else have had this problem before?

Cheers

dougie_504
24-04-2011, 08:53 AM
You mean the handbrake lever stays up but doesn't grip on one of the brakes? I'd check your brake fluid and the brake lines. Brake pads alright?

kyzz
24-04-2011, 10:56 AM
go get it checked out, for now just kick the car into first when your parked so it doesnt roll if you have a manual

mocchi
24-04-2011, 10:58 AM
did you recently change rear pads/rotors/calipers?

Ph@t-G
24-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Well just checked the handbrake adjuster again and it seems like the problem is with the passenger side cable, cause even with the lever pulled up it's still loose. Haven't done anything with the rear brakes lately. Maybe the passenger side cable is snapped? Any chance of a DIY fix or best to take it to Honda?

trism
24-04-2011, 03:32 PM
the cable may have snapped, stretched, or the arm may be seized

hmetro24
24-04-2011, 08:30 PM
IF you are saying its passenger side. Check the cable all the way to the back to the brake .

grifty
24-04-2011, 08:41 PM
are the rear brakes discs or drum?

mugen_ctr
24-04-2011, 09:15 PM
replacing handbrake cable is easy, its putting the nuts back in place is a bitch! as u gotta get someone with skinny hands to reach into the confined area

And also u do need to remove the brake shield to get access to the lines

basically what i did when i done the brake conversion was remove console, as what u would do to adjust it, remove the handbrake line bracket, and remove the actual handbrake lines from the handbrake, undo the nuts that hold the line inplace, theres 2, one near the fuel tank and another furthur up, just follow the line lol, than once done, u can push it down through the hole, BUT MAKE SURE THE HANDBRAKE ISNT ON! important info there

If its the actual caliper thats faulty, ur mech should b able to recon it easy,

Ph@t-G
25-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Hey Mugen ctr I actually did just that yesterday, took off the brake shield cover to check. Do you remember which line it was again for the handbrake? I'm guessing it's the line that starts underneath, goes through the trailing arm and end with a zig-zag rubber grommet attached to a spring-type contraption?

Ph@t-G
25-04-2011, 01:16 PM
And also the rear brakes are discs since it's a gli.

grifty
25-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Hey Mugen ctr I actually did just that yesterday, took off the brake shield cover to check. Do you remember which line it was again for the handbrake? I'm guessing it's the line that starts underneath, goes through the trailing arm and end with a zig-zag rubber grommet attached to a spring-type contraption?

yes it is.