PDA

View Full Version : How to check engines for transplant candidates?

Glocker
26-04-2011, 02:00 AM
Hi guys, I've tried searching around the forums but there isn't any thread on how to check engines/halfcuts or what to look for when buying one. So anyone experienced with purchasing engines/halfcuts can give some advice that will be much appreciated.

Should I stay clear of our 'Parts for Sale' forum? :P

TheSaint
26-04-2011, 03:10 AM
you havnt given us enough information for what you want - please clarify or i will remove this thread

what car do you have?
what engine do you want to put in it?
what year is your car?
what engine do you have now?
do you want to import or buy local?

TheSaint
26-04-2011, 03:10 AM
double post

trism
26-04-2011, 11:01 AM
If they can give you service records that's awesome. If they can show you it running that's even better.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Glocker
26-04-2011, 12:47 PM
you havnt given us enough information for what you want - please clarify or i will remove this thread

what car do you have?
what engine do you want to put in it?
what year is your car?
what engine do you have now?
do you want to import or buy local?

I have a eh9 sedan with a busted stock engine. I'm looking at either b18c2 or c7 motors.

I'd prefer to buy local.

TheSaint
26-04-2011, 01:01 PM
service logs and a history of the car it came from and why it has been wrecked are always good

but with any engine transplant you are going to have to do a major service/overhaul to be sure

most places will have a kind of warranty anyway for any major faults

dougie_504
26-04-2011, 01:35 PM
A good compression/leak down test is a good idea. Look for signs of wear and leaks around the hoses/seals (hopefully they don't just degrease it so it looks new).

Glocker
02-05-2011, 11:28 AM
What about buying from wreckers? Can you do a compression test on halfcuts? What are the telltale signs of a lemon engine?

dougie_504
02-05-2011, 05:18 PM
You would have to ask the wrecker if they'll let you do so. Telltale signs are low compression numbers are large variations on the numbers. If one cylinder gives a significantly low number compared to the others then the rings are probably stuffed and not sealing properly.