PDA

View Full Version : possible gearbox problem?

monda2
27-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Hi All

I have a problem with my girlfriends 91 civic si - auto, (done 230,000kms) when cruising, so light throttle whether its at 60, 80 or 100 kph, it feels like it (sort of - hard to explain) skips gears, the revs drop 200approx revs when this happens but its doesn't seem to change gear as such!

I have changed the gearbox oil with honda MTF, made a slight difference but not substantial!

Could it possibly the TPS? Is the gearbox on the way out, when accelerating its fine, only happens when cruising or feathering the throttle

Any help appreciated

Cheers
Ben

bennjamin
27-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Fyi you should use honda auto gearbox fluid not manual mtf.
Your issue might be slipping inside - try going thru the D , D3 , D2 and L etc to try and replicate the same issue.

monda2
27-04-2011, 09:43 PM
sorry my mistake i did use auto fluid, just changed my manual box with MTF was thinking bout that, good idea will try tomorrow

rotary_snail
29-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Might be the lockup clutch in the torque convertor having problems.

monda2
04-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Ok I tired driving holding it in each gear and it seems to be fine using this method so this issue only happens when its in Drive when cruising, could this be the clutch slipping?

~Sp33~
06-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Sounds like a conventional automatic with overdrive working the way it was designed to.

It's not anything to be concerned about.

monda2
10-05-2011, 07:16 PM
no overdrive on this though! doesnt feel or sound great, not to fussed though just would like to know whats going on as it never did it previously!
seems like a clutch issue!

bennjamin
10-05-2011, 07:23 PM
so did u change with fresh honda ATF ? Remember you will need to flush it up to 5 or 6 times to fully remove ALL old fluid from the torque convertor

monda2
11-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Benjamin

no didnt flush it, but did use fresh honda ATF

just read through in the DIY section, no one really explained flushing, someone said to put some cheap oil in , drive around for a week then drain and fill with the honda atf?

You suggested flushing it 5 or 6 times, using cheap oil? - fill then drain, fill, drain, fill, drain etc? with the cheap stuff then a final fill with honda atf? Is this what you meant?