PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to turbo a 98 prelude???

Demogorgon
01-02-2005, 12:08 PM
I would love to turbo my prelude..

Its VTiR.

what would be the cost.. how much more power would i get??? :o

industrie
01-02-2005, 02:10 PM
preludeaustralia.com

theres a few preludes turbo on the forums so go ask the guys in there... :D

can cost up to $7,000 for a good set up ..thats just a estimate..

spiller
01-02-2005, 02:31 PM
yeah def come join us at PA. i dont think there are any Turbo 5th gens so you would be an individual :) Still, they will be able to help you out. With the turbo, the more you spend, the better the job will be and the more power you will get. A more expensive job will also probably be more reliable. Im lookign to turbo my 3rd gen midway through this year but i only wanna spend around 3.5 grand. that sould bring okay gains.

[stealth]
01-02-2005, 03:13 PM
yeah.. there is a 3rd and a 4th Gen turbo on... PreludeAustralia.. so come on by..

:)

91'lude
01-02-2005, 03:20 PM
yeah def come join us at PA. i dont think there are any Turbo 5th gens so you would be an individual :) Still, they will be able to help you out. With the turbo, the more you spend, the better the job will be and the more power you will get. A more expensive job will also probably be more reliable. Im lookign to turbo my 3rd gen midway through this year but i only wanna spend around 3.5 grand. that sould bring okay gains.

Please tell me your joking :rolleyes:

Turbocharging a 3rd gen (b20a6) is a MASSIVE job, there is NO aftermarket support, everything has to be custom built, you would be lucky to turbocharge a well known engine for $3500, they usually cost over 5 grand, with everything for the b20a6, including ecu, having to be custom built and tuned, as Prelude_Psi knows well, your looking at $9000..... Im not trying to down ur plans, but dont expect to get anything under double what u want to pay.

Turbocharging h22a, there is plenty of aftermarket support, you will be looking at about $6000 for a decent kit. And well, on low boost 150kw at the wheels, you could probly get over 200kw atw on 12-14 psi.

bigteethygrin
01-02-2005, 03:36 PM
if you've done it right you should get 12-14 psi..

i've seen lotsa jobs get stuck at 4-5 psi

[stealth]
01-02-2005, 03:55 PM
nah nah.. ur scaring him too much..... the onli costly bit is labour..

a turbo kit for 5th gen itself.. is around 2.5-4k tops...

for eg..

Greddy Turbo Kit: Comes complete with the following items...TD05/TD06H-18G Turbocharger, RC 370cc Injectors, Greddy Cast SUS Manifold, Greddy eManage, Greddy Air Intake, 1997-99 Honda Prelude Non-SH Specific Piping, Hoses, Oil Lines and all Misc. Hardware needed to complete the install.

$2500USD...

spiller
01-02-2005, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=91'lude]Please tell me your joking :rolleyes:

Turbocharging a 3rd gen (b20a6) is a MASSIVE job, there is NO aftermarket support, everything has to be custom built, you would be lucky to turbocharge a well known engine for $3500, they usually cost over 5 grand, with everything for the b20a6, including ecu, having to be custom built and tuned, as Prelude_Psi knows well, your looking at $9000..... Im not trying to down ur plans, but dont expect to get anything under double what u want to pay.

No im not joking you. I have a guy that can make me a custom manifold, for approx 800, dump pipe, all other pipe work, do all the oil lines and the other labour. My brother can get me a brand new front mount for 350. I can source a used turbo off a very cheap guy i know in Adelaide for approx 250 depending on what i want. As for other work such as head and injectors etc, i will prob keep that stock becuase i only wnat to run about 8 psi and the 3rd gen can handle up to 10 psi with stock internals.

spiller
01-02-2005, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=91'lude]Please tell me your joking :rolleyes:

Turbocharging a 3rd gen (b20a6) is a MASSIVE job, there is NO aftermarket support, everything has to be custom built, you would be lucky to turbocharge a well known engine for $3500, they usually cost over 5 grand, with everything for the b20a6, including ecu, having to be custom built and tuned, as Prelude_Psi knows well, your looking at $9000..... Im not trying to down ur plans, but dont expect to get anything under double what u want to pay. [QUOTE=91'lude]

No im not joking you. I have a guy that can make me a custom manifold, for approx 800, dump pipe, all other pipe work, do all the oil lines and the other labour. My brother can get me a brand new front mount for 350. I can source a used turbo off a very cheap guy i know in Adelaide for approx 250 depending on what i want. As for other work such as head and injectors etc, i will prob keep that stock becuase i only wnat to run about 8 psi and the 3rd gen can handle up to 10 psi with stock internals.

91'lude
02-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Doing it on the cheap will only lead to future problems, as i said, ask prelude_psi...

But go ahead... it'll be interesting.

WPN.22R
02-02-2005, 10:12 PM
if you would like a complete bottom end 'built' engine i have one for sale soon, it has my first set up on it h22a t04 turbo microtech custom manifold...etc etc trade that engine and cash on top and you will have a very very quick street car!

expect around the 8-10k mark for that complete set up installed.

-elee

ps..come and visit us at prelude australia!

shecomb
03-02-2005, 07:26 AM
You will be lucky to have a reliable street prelude turbo for under $10k.

BTW, that Greddy kit is not intercooled!! Not a good idea in the Aussie heat of summer

91'lude
04-02-2005, 03:35 PM
How much have you spent total on your set up shecomb? And what problems have you had after the initial build, we dont hear much of your lude.

shecomb
07-02-2005, 07:19 AM
I have spent about $10k i reckon....

Running like a dream, smoother than before.

CHU85
07-02-2005, 01:44 PM
go on and turbo it!!!
its fun! But if u want to it to run reliable, and quick then i suggest u either empty ur pockets and spend $$$$ or sell the car and get a turbo car.
My h22a is turbo'd and am currently making 250kw's at the wheels.

Vilos
12-03-2005, 04:43 PM
If you did the conversion yourself u would be looking at 6k with all new parts...
if you pay someone double it...

filo
13-03-2005, 04:26 PM
The turbo is not that expensive but the pipings, the labour and the hours spent to get the right set up is.... has anyone considered a supercharge?

filo
13-03-2005, 04:30 PM
go on and turbo it!!!
its fun! But if u want to it to run reliable, and quick then i suggest u either empty ur pockets and spend $$$$ or sell the car and get a turbo car.
My h22a is turbo'd and am currently making 250kw's at the wheels.

Well, how much did you spend on your turbo?