PDA

View Full Version : Which Accord to buy?

patriots
28-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Hi all, i'm currently in the marker for a more reliable car than my previous one so i've 99% decided to go Honda, only problem is i have no idea which one to get.
I have roughly about 14k to spend and have been looking at the '04 V6 Luxury, an 06 or 07 VTI or a base model Euro, not sure if i can afford the luxury.
How are these models in terms of reliability? I would like the extra features and smoothness of the V6 but there's no point of getting it if it'll fall apart on me like my crappy VZ commodore, cheers - any advice would be great

Troy
29-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Get a CD5 - Do H22A engine/box conversion and upgrade suspension. Win!

3chiii
29-04-2011, 10:24 AM
i just brought a euro cl9 04 luxury and love it !
Go for the cl7-9, u will love the ride... if u cant find a luxury model for ur price then go for the standard, same engine but miss out on the luxurious features...
drove my mates 03 standard and the drive is very smooth,

aaronng
29-04-2011, 11:23 AM
For that budget, you can get a 2004 Euro Luxury.

patriots
29-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Ok so you guys reckon scrap the v6? The euro is very tempting, just that bit more expensive is all, but I suppose it'll be better on petrol and cheaper to maintain?
Just want something nice that'll solidly last without too much hassle.

Thanks for your advice :)

opilot87
29-04-2011, 09:59 PM
The Euro is made in Japan as opposed to Taiwan. I wonder if the reliability is better for the Japanese built Euro? You would think so, but i'm not sure.

Ollie

Fredoops
29-04-2011, 10:15 PM
The Euro is made in Japan as opposed to Taiwan. I wonder if the reliability is better for the Japanese built Euro? You would think so, but i'm not sure.

Ollie
Not Taiwan, Thailand.

PS: you could probably get a later model (like 2006) Euro Standard within your price range.

Indie
02-05-2011, 08:31 PM
2004 Euro Luxury would do you very well, or a 2006 Euro Standard. Both nice. It's got to be the Euro, anyway. Such a nice car.

Fredoops
02-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Get A post facelift model. 2006 + if you can.

patriots
03-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks for all the replies, what's the difference between the 03 and 06 facelift? Cars in Victoria are quite expensive so I doubt I'd snag an 06 STD version for my price range...pretty much set on a euro now though they are nice

Fredoops
03-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Quality improvements, trip/fuel consumption computer, probably more power or at least better power delivery... Apart from the fact it's newer.

Just checked out euro prices 2nd hand, lol there seems to be a surge lately...

But I gotta say... VTi is better value for Money...

patriots
03-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Ok thanks, yeah it's strange that prices have risen? Hmm got some serious thinking to do, drove an 03 euro lux last night and it was great, tight, very smooth and comfortable...much better in every area than my sv6 other than power which I no longer care too much about.

Can I ask about you sig? Cl9 reliable. J/k . What's that mean lol? I think I mayve forgot to mention Im after an auto..

Fredoops
03-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Ok thanks, yeah it's strange that prices have risen? Hmm got some serious thinking to do, drove an 03 euro lux last night and it was great, tight, very smooth and comfortable...much better in every area than my sv6 other than power which I no longer care too much about.

Can I ask about you sig? Cl9 reliable. J/k . What's that mean lol? I think I mayve forgot to mention Im after an auto..
VTi I believe drinks normal petrol and euro drinks premium.

CL9 is reliable. It's just the things that commonly go wrong are stupid things, like your door won't lock and a hose leaking and shit.

The lol part comes when you ask for a repair quote from Honda. $300 for a door actuator?! $450 for a power steering hose? Really?! At least the hose got the recall.
Otherwise you just get parts from the USA, cheap as chips there.

Oh and as with Honda ownership, avoid mechanics who are used to your commodore and magnas, Hondas more.. Delicate, it's more particular about fluid (must use Honda transmission fluid, p/s fluid, brake fluid), thin-ish engine oil (5w-30 is the common consensus, I use full synethtic engine oil).

Oh as for Honda auto tranny, make sure its serviced, I flushed my fluid 3 times in a 12 mth period.

Otherwise it's happy motoring

patriots
03-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Ok yeah, well i actually went to 4 different mechanics for my commodore before a 2 year long problem was diagnosed, the last one i went to was definately the best, knew their stuff, had a range of performance cars to luxury cars in the shop.

I don't mind filling up with premium, i did it in the commodore anyway to try and keep it healthy and get better fuel consumption. The latter worked, the former did not. POS. I'm more after reasonable general maintenance costs and reliability. I did like the solid feel of the euro, but perhaps i should lower my standards and look at a VTI.

I can handle stupid things going wrong. I cannot handle a timing chain to wear after 116xxxkm and the cams to wear out resulting in a rebuild :(

So at this stage it's pretty much an 03/04 euro lux or maybe an 05 std (06 if i travel interstate, but probably not a good idea) vs an 06 or maybe 07 vti..i've heard bad things about the accord v6 and its auto tran so i might steer clear. The smaller the engine the smaller the problems i guess.

Fredoops
03-05-2011, 11:33 AM
What ever price you pay for the car, give another 4-5% allowance for other related costs after you brought it (I'd usually get a complete fluid change, just to be safe)

The tranny in the v6 accord is the same as the euro, VTI, the standard fluid change time frame in the log book is kinda inadequate for us city dwellers. Hence why I flush it repeatedly whenits up for a fluid change.
More than the recommande interval just to be safe... I am not paying 6 grand for a new tranny.

The k24 is rock solid, as long as proper service is carried out with correct fluid.

patriots
03-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Ah ok thanks again man! Youve been a great help, I spose it doesn't matter then, although still unfortunately attracted to the more expensive euro, but I'm hoping it won't be too much to maintain and seems they are great on fuel..chances are I'll get an 03 lux or 04 STD, any other is Probs out of my price range..

opilot87
04-05-2011, 02:22 AM
I think you will be happy with the earlier euro, there weren't many changes. The std and lux are also the same to drive, the lux just has some more comforts which is nice if you like them. Good luck hunting.

Ollie

praja6
07-05-2011, 07:04 PM
I would suggest to get accord euro which is more sporty and still made in japan, compare with the big accord built in Thialand.

muzukashi
07-05-2011, 07:55 PM
06+ euro luxury! :)

Fredoops
07-05-2011, 08:25 PM
06+ euro luxury! :)

PAtriots' got a 14k budget, you cant get an auto post-facelift euro lux for that price.

patriots
08-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Yeah im most likely looking at an 03 luxury, I'm keen to get the extra comfort and sunroof etc...but I won't put that before a good deal on a STD. The 06 is well out of my budget, lux or STD :( if only my conmodore didn't put me in this hole. Quite pissed off about it tbh. You buy a newish car expecting it to last a while and in the end you would've been better off buying a bomb.

TypeRintegra98
11-05-2011, 11:17 AM
buy an accord euro
there quick reliable
and have the luxury as well

[SDCTVE]
27-06-2011, 11:17 AM
I just bought an 03 euro luxury, manual with 126K on the clock with full service history for $13500....

you'll be able to pick one up in your price range with ease

skutman
10-07-2011, 06:27 PM
definetly go the euro they are great cars

Banana_hammock
28-07-2011, 07:55 PM
I'd say V6 Accord. They're reliable and can push up to 600km per tank which is great for a V6. Mine's hardly ever skipped a beat