PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing Sound When Steering/Turning?

MyNameIsSkip
30-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Hello,
recently my Civic Eh9 VTI has started to make a rubbing sound when turning (more obvious when parking/in tight areas). I am not sure where the sound is coming from (seems to be from steering column) but I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions as to locating the issue. I read that the older accords had power steering issues with the hose valve not letting enough fluid through.

Just to be specific it isn't a grinding clunky sound, it is definitely a rubbing sound of some sort.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

EK1 Civic
30-04-2011, 11:44 PM
tyres scrubbing the guards? are you running big wheels?

dougie_504
01-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Any idea what kind of 'rubbing' sound? Rubber on rubber? Rubber on metal? Hard to explain what I'm saying but I've had a couple of rubbing issues and there are different qualities.

Any changes to the car lately? Suspension height, tyres, wheels, panel alignment? Put anything heavy in the car?

How's the tyre pressure? Alignment done anytime recently?

Oxer
01-05-2011, 05:53 AM
Is it inside the cabin or in the engine bay area? Do you have an aftermarket steering wheel with a boss kit?

A powersteering issue would affect the turning, not make noise, unless you are talking about a noisy belt/powersteering pump. Your question has left too many variables. I suggest you take it to your mechanic and ask them, they will have a better idea.

Noises cant be heard via a written question, A video might help, but most likely not.

MyNameIsSkip
01-05-2011, 07:44 AM
To me is sounds like it is in the car, somewhere between the wheel and the firewall...

Cheers

joel89
01-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Could b the steering rack mine was makin noise put a new 1 in all gud now

MyNameIsSkip
01-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Today I wound the window down and listened to see if it was internal or external.
To me it sounded like it was very close to where the wheel is turning (almost at the point of where it connects to the column.
It is only obvious/happens in tight areas when parking etc.

Any help thanks?

Cheers

MyNameIsSkip
01-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Oh and the car is running stock tires etc (185/60 R14). The suspension as far as I know is stock, the car doesn't ride low or anything.
It definitely sounds like a rub inside the car.

Cheers,
Shaun

Glocker
01-05-2011, 06:28 PM
I had that before, put it up on the hoist and check the CV joint boots. If they are split it should be that your CV joints are farked.

quangsuke
01-05-2011, 06:29 PM
i think it is your steering column my friend.
just a hunch :)

MyNameIsSkip
01-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Well I took that black plastic cover thing off that covers the mechanical components to the firewall and put vaseline all over them. It seemed to help, but haven't had a chance to properly test it.

Um is there a way to get the main metal cover off the shaft (the protective metal cylinder) so that I can grease/vasoline up that area since I believe the rubbing may be occurring in there.

Cheers

Oxer
02-05-2011, 01:48 AM
Well I took that black plastic cover thing off that covers the mechanical components to the firewall and put vaseline all over them. It seemed to help, but haven't had a chance to properly test it.

Um is there a way to get the main metal cover off the shaft (the protective metal cylinder) so that I can grease/vasoline up that area since I believe the rubbing may be occurring in there.

Cheers

All you are doing is guessing and trying to fix a problem that is most likely beyond your capabilities. It's your steering rack that is making the noise. Go to a mechanic and get it fixed properly. Vaseline is a human grade lubricant, not ideal to be used on automotive applications. Lubing things up wont simply fix the problem. Its most likely a seal inside the rack.

Does it leak oil? Is there a grimey buildup in that area? Do you have photos?

If you have already 'greased' it up then it will make things more difficult to tell by pictures. To be honest what you descibed in that post means nothing.

MyNameIsSkip
02-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Hello, to me it sounds like the steering shaft is rubbing somewhere inside the metal protective shaft that runs to the firewall. However there is no way to access in here easily that is why I am asking.

I cannot hear anything outside the vehicle that is making any sound and my steering is not affected by this sound, it literally is a plasticy/rubber rubbing on metal sound that only happens in parking situations.

In the manual it says something about not driving the vehicle on at full lock very much as it can damage the power steering pump. I also read that Accords or similar age had an issue with the power steering line being too narrow and not being able to pump enough fluid through, was this true for eg/eh civics as well?

Cheers,
Shaun

Oxer
05-05-2011, 01:01 AM
I give up trying to help, Take it to someone who can look at it in person and has the knowhow to fix it.

Powersteering lines/pump are all outside of the cabin, You yourself posted there is no sound from outside the vehicle.

Alternatively sell the car, It might be written off.

MyNameIsSkip
05-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Hello,
thanks for your help. I'm not trying to sound arrogant but from google research alot of vehicles of all brands have this issue when winter sets in. Mine has only started since then as well and goes away once warmed up.
I'll just get the fluid changed and see how it goes from there.

Cheers

quangsuke
05-05-2011, 10:49 PM
yeah and apparently when u diagnose yourself with a medical condition online most of the time you are right too. who needs doctors.

MyNameIsSkip
07-05-2011, 02:03 PM
haha, how true ;)
I just don't like having to fork out hundreds of dollars I don't have for someone to fix that I can easily do myself, you following?

Anyway thanks for the help everyone.