PDA

View Full Version : 91 dual carb civic not starting

mark.
01-05-2011, 11:10 AM
hey guys, this si driving me crazy so I thought I'd consult the experts rather than just fiddle aimlessly!
yesterday I was driving my 91 dual carb civic around, it was pretty hot as it had been going for around an hr. pulled out of my mates place and went around a left hand corner, the car lost all power, the tach started bouncing between 500 and 1000 and then it died. tried to kick it over, no dice, just kept turning over.
we then went for a walk to grab some tools, (it was slightly pointing up hill at this point) came back, and it started, went to take off and it died.
so, towed it home, left it for a few hrs and it started and drove again, for about 5 mins, this time it didn't stop. then this morning went to drive it in teh driveway, it started, but as soon as it got in the driveway, it started coughing, and then died, and now, won't start.
there is fuel coming out of the pump, I can't find the filter for the life of me, could it be dizzy or coils?
I checked the plugs and they are white as, I initially thought it was fuel, but the pump is pumping?

any ideas, would be much appreciated!

oh forgot to mention, the ECU flashes red twice, I read that it can either be an oxy sensor in the exhaust or near the cat, dunno if that would have anything to do with anything though

cheers guys
mark

hmetro24
01-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Things to do before you replace anything.
reset your ecu
get your self a carbie cleaner. clean that dual carbie
check if any vaccum leak
later could be the dizzy or fuel not reaching well

mark.
01-05-2011, 03:00 PM
cheers man, I'll give the carby cleaner a crack!
also, a few more thnings it did this morning, when it coughed and spluttered it started to blow black smoke, then died.
I checked to see if it was getting spark and I cannot make a lead spark no matter what I do, or no matter where I held them. kinda leading me to believe it may be the dizy?

cheers again mate

hmetro24
01-05-2011, 04:00 PM
black smoke mean its running rich on petrol. thats sound like carbie problem.
where do you live ?

mark.
01-05-2011, 04:05 PM
shit yeah man, thats awesome, I live in sunbury, but can go pretty much anywhere to grab one!

ECU-MAN
01-05-2011, 04:08 PM
sounds like its the ICM

the fuel filter is located in the LH Rear wheel arch near the arm behind a cover

mark.
01-05-2011, 04:10 PM
cheers heaps mate!

chinx_4eva
01-05-2011, 04:55 PM
almost same thing happening to my twin carb civic wagon.
heaps of black smoke pouring out the exhaust
car barely starts, in order to start i'd need to hold down the gas pedal then let the car warm out before i can start driving, pretty sure its got to do with the fuel pump.
and when it does drive, the carb starts to smoke up. gg :(
but the head gasket is gone so yea..

mark.
01-05-2011, 08:08 PM
hey guys, I just wanna say thanks for the help, the car is running, it was the dizzy, runs perfect now!
special thanks to hmetro24 who kindly offered his dizzy to me, and let me come pic it up tonight, mate your a legend!
lastly, I'm on a lot of forums, and even a mod on some, and I have to say, to help a dude out with just one post, is just awesome!

cheers guys!

hmetro24
01-05-2011, 09:02 PM
hey guys, I just wanna say thanks for the help, the car is running, it was the dizzy, runs perfect now!
special thanks to hmetro24 who kindly offered his dizzy to me, and let me come pic it up tonight, mate your a legend!
lastly, I'm on a lot of forums, and even a mod on some, and I have to say, to help a dude out with just one post, is just awesome!

cheers guys!

Anytime Mate :). cheers

ouch
26-07-2011, 07:12 PM
ok boys boys boys, i got the same problem.
my 91 ED just decided to stop running; the engine turns but doesnt start (it was only running a few hours before). so i decided to change the spark plugs and got to my last one and found oil deposits around plug. so there must be oil leaking past the valves or rings into the chamber - then when i came to get it off it was stuck stuck stuck.

anywho i tried to start her up again and same thing - turning but not starting. disconnected the battery, put it back on and now i got power to the clock but none to the rest of the car, a buzzing sound happens when i turn on the indicators...

now i got an oily old stuck spark plug and battery problem.

help?

trism
26-07-2011, 07:23 PM
swap the battery out for one you know works.

Oil around the plugs, spark plug tube seal. Prob the not cause of the dieing but.

ouch
26-07-2011, 07:29 PM
distributer? what else should i be looking at?

ECU-MAN
27-07-2011, 09:12 AM
your ICM has failed

check for spark

hmetro24
27-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Check if you getting sparks

ouch
28-07-2011, 11:47 PM
seems as if my distributer is leaking oil. could this be the problem?
i got no idea what im doing so i think NRMA is the go.
thanks anywho boys

90civicGL
30-07-2011, 07:31 PM
I got the same problem, just wants to keep turning over, have to hold the pedal down to start it, once started putts at around 500rpm and if i dont keep the revs, just dies. Heaps of black smoke comes out the back. Changed leads and spark plugs the other day, seems to run a little better but still has the problem, got a dizzy cap on order so hopefully that will fix its not starting 2 well problem. For the black smoke i think maybe the float isnt working or jamed so its making it run 2 rich or else maybe the auto choke is locked on, but first of all i think i might check fuel pump and filter. Cause to check the other things the carby needs to come off, maybe i should rebuild the duel carbs while im at it. Anyone know what model it is and where i can get a rebuild kit?

Or have any other sugestions?

Thanks.

ECU-MAN
31-07-2011, 01:05 AM
check for spark when its not starting

if you get spark then start by checking the ECU for codes

your carby pistons my be sticky causing the mixtures to be out of whack

90civicGL
31-07-2011, 04:17 PM
check for spark when its not starting

if you get spark then start by checking the ECU for codes

your carby pistons my be sticky causing the mixtures to be out of whack

Already pulled off te carpet and dug around with the ecu but i dont have an engine light or pmi?? i think it was light on the dash, so apparantly i dont have engine diagnostic checking. I got 1 red light but it doesnt flash at ALL unless i turn the ignition off (flashes once) I checked the old leads for spark and they did all spark, but i still bought new leads but i assume they spark, might try test it still. Rebuilding the carbs will probably be my next step. Can i check the carby pistons b4 pulling it apart or need to check once carby is off?

Thanks, Nic

ECU-MAN
02-08-2011, 09:20 AM
your car wonth ave an engine lamp, however from what you wrote above you dont have any ECU codes.

I dont recomend you rebuild your carbies yourself if you have no experience with them or have never done them before. The pistons are accesible from the tops of the carbies, they have two screws holding in the chambers on top. Clean the pistons with carbie cleaner and clean the chamber and boar, do not damage the O ring. If they are damaged, replace them.

90civicGL
02-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Ok thanks, ill try cleaning it all out when i get time and see how it goes. If its still bad i might try find a place where i can drop of mine and they give me a reconed one in exchange, pretty sure theres some places out there like that. or take it to someone to get it reco'd cause i cant find any kits available online.