PDA

View Full Version : S2k Steering issue

zelar
01-05-2011, 03:46 PM
99 AP1
the eps constantly steering to right until full lock, eps light is not on, no DTC
Recently had flat battery, already go through the procedure to reset eps on service manual, but problem still there

Anyone have similar problem or can help~?

Thanks

zelar
12-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Bump...any idea any one?~

ECU-MAN
13-05-2011, 09:34 AM
with a problem like this I would expect to see a fault code appear in the EPS system. try the EPS reset proceedure again and ensure you do it properly.

did you get the EPS lamp flash twice when you reset the EPS ECU ? also did you turn the ignition off within 5 seconds after you reset the EPS ECU ? if not it could be in memorize mode.

after you have correctly reset the EPS ECU memorize the torque sensor neutral position. ( follow the workshop manual for this ). Ensure the EPS lamp does not stay on when you finish to ensure you have don eif corectly.

VeYzZii
16-05-2011, 06:50 PM
ECU-MAN, do you possibly have the codes for the EPS light... When i short my DLC i get the EPS light blinking a code out but i cant find a code list anywhere!!??

Clio
16-05-2011, 10:57 PM
might be leftfield comment but are your tyre pressures ok?

vyets
17-05-2011, 06:59 AM
when u short the dlc the eps and abs always goes spastic just ignore it

zhong
17-05-2011, 09:46 AM
If you fix this problem, please share your solution.

A mate's car had this problem, we have tried everything including resetting the neutral position - but with our ADM models, how do you get it into the start of the reset procedure? What if the EPS is pulling errors, can it still be set into that mode? As far as I know, you require Honda to put it into the mode. But in my mate's case, he put it through a dealer and even they can't do it - funny enough they even blamed it on a "crooked sway bar link" which i believe from factory sit on that angle... maybe take it to another dealer?

His next move is to swap out his steering gearbox with another one.

Peace.

ECU-MAN
17-05-2011, 10:43 AM
dont ignore ABS and EPS codes.

if you post your fault codes I can tell you what they are from the workshop manual.

the EPS ECU reset procedure is not hard to do.

zhong
17-05-2011, 10:48 AM
^^^ Would you be nice enough to take us through the procedure, whether PM or in here. There are a few steps in the manual that we can't do on our models - well from what we read and remember from the last time we tried.

Thanks in advanced.

ECU-MAN
17-05-2011, 02:21 PM
to reset the EPS ECU

- car must be on a flat surface with the steering wheel in the straight ahead driving position.
- with the IGN off bridge the SCS connector
- turn the steering wheel 45deg tot he left from the straight ahead driving position.
- turn the IGN on to position II, the EPS indicator will come on then go out after 4 seconds
- within 4 seconds of the EPS indicator tuning off retrn the wheel to the straight ahead driving position and let go of the wheel. the EPS indicator will come on after 4 seconds of releasing the wheel.
- within 4 seconds of the EPS indicator coming back on turn the wheel to the left 45deg again and hold it in that position,the EPS indicator goes out after 4 seconds.
- within 4 seconds of the EPS indicator going out return the wheel to the straight ahead driving position and release the wheel.
- the EPS indicator will blink twice 4 seconds after releasing the wheel to indicate the EPS ECU has reset succesfully. If the EPS indicator does not blink twice then something went wrong in the reset procedure so start again.
- turn the ignition off within 5 seconds of the EPS indicator blinking twice. if you fail to turn the ignition switch off with in 5 seconds the EPS ECU goes into memorise mode of the torque sensor neutral position. if this happens turn the wheel 45deg to the left and turn off the ignition. this puts the EPS ECU into alert mode.

zhong
17-05-2011, 02:31 PM
^ Can this still be performed if there are error codes that blink, ONLY when the SCS connectors are bridged? I wrote down his error codes somewhere, I'll post it up when I get home from work tonight if it helps, but from memory it's something to do with "Vehicle Speed Sensor malfunction" and two other things - keeping in mind though that the EPS light isn't on whilst driving normally, and is functioning (like there is a difference when the entire EPS module is unplugged - so it's working, just maybe not perfect).

ECU-MAN
17-05-2011, 02:38 PM
this is performed because there are error codes.

read the codes and record them 1st, the reset the ECU and drive the carto see if they come back.

under normal conditions the EPS indicator should come on when your turn on the ignition and turn off when the engine starts.

zhong
17-05-2011, 08:35 PM
22 - Excessive change of the vehicle speed sensor signal
22 - A problem with average for vehicle speed and engine speed
23 - A problem with the circuit for engine speed signal
33 - A problem with the current sensor

Light doesn't "stay" on during driving, nor does it blink prior to starting the engine. Only in SCS mode, these codes show up.

ECU-MAN
18-05-2011, 09:21 AM
for code 22 and 23 check to see if your tacho and Speedo work correctly, also do you have any codes in the PGM-FI ECU

for code 33. if this comes back after an EPS ECU reset then the EPS ECU needs replacing if you cannot find any loose wires or connectors.

reset your EPS ECU and see if the codes come back

zhong
18-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Tacho and Speedo both function correctly, and quite accurately I must add. How to check PGM-FI ECU? Is this just the normal ECLs? If so, there are 0 faults.

I have tried replacing the EPS ECU unit aswell, returning the same errors. I remember we had a problem with "RESETTING THE EPS MODULE" to clear it from codes, in order to perform the neutral torque sensor position reset.

s2kjn
18-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Sorry, but are you guys talking about when having the car in the air, and ignition on, your steering pulls all the way to the right automatically?

zhong
18-05-2011, 01:18 PM
^ Yes.

s2kjn
18-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Really? I thought I was the only one! so u find it hard to pull to the right as oppose to the left? I'm bout to buy a second hand rack fo $200 this weekend to try see if that will fix it. Do you know if the control module is built into the rack?

zhong
18-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Control module is seperate and located in the engine bay near the driver side (right next to the ABS unit). It's GOLD and bolted into the chasis with 4 bolts. Rack for $200 is cheap as... let's hope it's still a good one! haha But I got a spare EPS if you want it as well for any reason. Let us know if that fixes your problem, as I will be doing the same for my mate!

But who knows, ECU-MAN may resolve this issue once and for all. :)

s2kjn
18-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Yeah I found another for $300 with warranty. Did a search on google, 2 s2k's from Japan landed in wreckers in Sydney earlier this month. So how does this problem come about at first? Seeing that its the right side that pulls seems to be the recurring issue.

ECU-MAN
19-05-2011, 11:02 AM
if you replace the EPS ECU you must do the procedure to memorise the torque sensor neutral position.

zhong
19-05-2011, 12:39 PM
^ But what if the error persists in the new EPS ECU as well? Let me get this clear, does it need to return ZERO errors before this procedure can be performed?

ECU-MAN
20-05-2011, 12:36 PM
yes you have to clear the EPS ECU.

if you perform the EPS Reset and you still have code, the you have to diagnose and repair those faults

ensure you get the EPS indicator blink twice when you reset the EPS ECU

s2kjn
26-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Hey zhong, have u given this a shot yet?

zhong
26-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Can't get rid of the error codes, so I can't perform the reset. But I'm going to help change the Steering Rack at some stage, and hope it fixes it all together. It's not a big problem, just annoying to know that one side pulls easier than the other.. If only it were hydraulic..

s2kjn
26-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Do u kno how this comes about in the first place? Yeh Ima do the same. i got control unit and the steering rack for $200 with refund if it doesnt fix it is worse than before. First to it i guess! I wanna put mine in soon so I can instal my PWJDM carbon intakwe GRRR!