PDA

View Full Version : swwwaay bar!

lemmm
01-05-2011, 10:46 PM
hey i wanna upgrade my dc2 rear sway bar to a 24mm + subframe one i've searched around and found some on ebay with the combo from america 24mm sway bar+OBX subframe.. ok so my question is has anyone used OBX before? is it a decent, reliable and trust worthy brand i'm just checking out OBX's website now, so if anyone's used OBX let me know!

btw here's it is on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OBX-24MM-SWAY-BAR-SUBFRAME-BRACE-INTEGRA-94-01-DC2-DB8-/180660144146?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a102f0812

DC2-PWR
01-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Researched a lot of this brand, barley hear anything good from it.

Would also like some reviews

JDM-EGG
01-05-2011, 11:15 PM
why dont u just go asr ? easy to get and quality is there ! :)

mugen_ctr
01-05-2011, 11:30 PM
obx = knock off of ASR, as far as quality goes, its very questionable, but if all the bolt holes line up, an everything fits, than u b saving urself half the money! at the end of the day, its just a block of metal milled out

And also they would use cheaper bolts, so should u get it, definite swap out for Much higher tensile strength, ive heard of OBX sending out half arse bolts they dont even stand up to the forces!

Oxer
02-05-2011, 01:58 AM
obx = knock off of ASR, as far as quality goes, its very questionable, but if all the bolt holes line up, an everything fits, than u b saving urself half the money! at the end of the day, its just a block of metal milled out

And also they would use cheaper bolts, so should u get it, definite swap out for Much higher tensile strength, ive heard of OBX sending out half arse bolts they dont even stand up to the forces!

Silly way to look at things.

Buy ASR, tried and proven.

vtecing
09-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Id give it ago if I was building a budget street car. Also have a look at black works. They have heaps on ebay too.

mugen_ctr
09-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Silly way to look at things.

Buy ASR, tried and proven.

Hows it silly? Both are simply blocks of metal machined out, OBX essentially copies the exact design, so it wont fault under load at all given that design they copy uses the same amount of parts, and is mounted the same as ASR, the materials used are similar! I dont see how it can be bad.

Unless u have actually used a OBX gear, dont judge things till u tried it urself :)

Fredoops
09-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Arent all swaybars just modified stock/OEM design anyway? Just thickened etc? so what's the point of payin double for a piece of beat up metal?

Obx is just a generic name anyway, for example, the OBX header for accord euro is sold in Australia as Xforce, except Aussie retailers charge 3 times as much.

string
09-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Hows it silly? Both are simply blocks of metal machined out, OBX essentially copies the exact design, so it wont fault under load at all given that design they copy uses the same amount of parts, and is mounted the same as ASR, the materials used are similar! I dont see how it can be bad.

Unless u have actually used a OBX gear, dont judge things till u tried it urself :)

While I agree that the piece is probably fine, the materials used will absolutely not be the same. Metal is not metal.

mugen_ctr
09-05-2011, 11:21 PM
While I agree that the piece is probably fine, the materials used will absolutely not be the same. Metal is not metal.

Yes i agree with that statement, metals aint metals, but for something so simple as a mounting plate, which is quite thick, id say any metals similar to what ASR uses, the actual unit, OBX will still be fine at the end of the day, so long as they keep the design exactly like ASR, a different and cheaper material may prove to work just as effective as what ASR did

Unless there are hard evidence to prove that the OBX is of bad design, which can fault under load, given the materials also noted, than i will eat my own words

crobaa
10-05-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm agreeing with mugen_ctr here. I seriously doubt obx use a metal that is not up to the task. Worst case scenario it might be a bit heavier. Unless asr are using titanium or similar I wouldn't be using metal quality as a factor when making my decision

redefine
10-05-2011, 10:44 AM

its silly because different manufactoring techniques give different mechanical properties to the metal, it could be treated or made in a way that while more expensive to manufacture, gives a much higher quality product, and thats not getting into the quality of the material itself, eg, steel, you have different carbon ratings which change the stress/strain ratio.

the actual sway bar could be incredibly stiff, could be brittle, could be not stiff at all depending on how its bent, weather it was heated to bend, weather the whole thing was heat treated, and weather it was quenched, and the subframe brace could be made any number of ways.

by all means try the obx sway, just be cautious and dont 'assume' it'll work as well as asr.

personally im not going to get a sway unless its oem, asr, or whiteline (unless anyone else knows some budget brands)

mugen_ctr
10-05-2011, 12:16 PM
its silly because different manufactoring techniques give different mechanical properties to the metal, it could be treated or made in a way that while more expensive to manufacture, gives a much higher quality product, and thats not getting into the quality of the material itself, eg, steel, you have different carbon ratings which change the stress/strain ratio.

the actual sway bar could be incredibly stiff, could be brittle, could be not stiff at all depending on how its bent, weather it was heated to bend, weather the whole thing was heat treated, and weather it was quenched, and the subframe brace could be made any number of ways.

by all means try the obx sway, just be cautious and dont 'assume' it'll work as well as asr.

personally im not going to get a sway unless its oem, asr, or whiteline (unless anyone else knows some budget brands)

Cross white line off the list, unless u like a new subframe :)

I do believe both are CnC machined, ASR, using much more precision and careful cuttin where as OBX is just a mass produced, cheap Machining process, although questionable, can deliver similar results to ASR

As for metals, ASR uses a aluminum alloy, 6061 T6 aluminum, which is very accessible for any major manufacturing firm, its not to costly, infact obx uses the exact same material as ASR, http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=1460

The only differenace between the ASR and OBX i can really see, is really how there both machined, As i said previously, ASR take pride an care into creating there stuff, OBX, quick an cheap job but at a low cost

as far as metal treatment, i doubt ASR would actually heat treat or do any thing to it, as it would jack the price even more!

I have a ASR atm, in i might sound hypocritical, but as i pointed out, unless u have actually tested it than its pointless in tryna fault an item that no one here in Aust has tested

crobaa
10-05-2011, 01:47 PM
With cnc machining, the faster you cut out the piece the less smooth it will be. Obx probably do less passes with the cnc and end up with more of a rough finish than the asr. The main factor in the strength of the brace is the design. If they are the same design and same metal the only major difference should be appearance, and seeing how its mounted under your car and can really only be viewed from afar I wouldnt really bother. Only reason i'd buy asr is if I want my car to have all brand name parts

redefine
10-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Cross white line off the list, unless u like a new subframe :)

I do believe both are CnC machined, ASR, using much more precision and careful cuttin where as OBX is just a mass produced, cheap Machining process, although questionable, can deliver similar results to ASR

As for metals, ASR uses a aluminum alloy, 6061 T6 aluminum, which is very accessible for any major manufacturing firm, its not to costly, infact obx uses the exact same material as ASR, http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=1460

The only differenace between the ASR and OBX i can really see, is really how there both machined, As i said previously, ASR take pride an care into creating there stuff, OBX, quick an cheap job but at a low cost

as far as metal treatment, i doubt ASR would actually heat treat or do any thing to it, as it would jack the price even more!

I have a ASR atm, in i might sound hypocritical, but as i pointed out, unless u have actually tested it than its pointless in tryna fault an item that no one here in Aust has tested

even with a subframe brace? thats dissapointing, i have only heard good things from whiteline...

if they use the same material, then it should produce similar results....ahhh if only i had the funds to test them properly :/

my post was purely a hypothetical tbh. had anyone had any experience with the product?

mugen_ctr
10-05-2011, 07:38 PM
even with a subframe brace? thats dissapointing, i have only heard good things from whiteline...

if they use the same material, then it should produce similar results....ahhh if only i had the funds to test them properly :/

my post was purely a hypothetical tbh. had anyone had any experience with the product?

Theres a big thread about whiteline, an a matter of fact, i have personally seen how they mount there sway bar, nothing like ASR, which is why they have failed time after time, tearing the subframe. I to was once a fan of whiteline, but after seeing the results, it really deterred me from buying any ek civic white line rear swaybar bracing kit

Yes i to wanna know how OBX stacks up :D, as well as the alternative, BWR, although both are relative cheap, both do the same job as ASR id assume.

mrwho
14-05-2011, 12:31 AM
This may help with your decision OP: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2666612

dougie_504
14-05-2011, 02:55 AM
Nice work mrwho!

vtecing
14-05-2011, 10:02 AM
on my eg5 I used 1 whileline 22mm rsb with an asr brace and oem sway bar links and oem dbush brackets and it worked fine. Just threw out the whiteline subframe braces. But if I was to do it again, id go for one of the cheaper brands.

Im sure weight is a factor too, the asr is pretty light.

mugen_ctr
14-05-2011, 06:41 PM
on my eg5 I used 1 whileline 22mm rsb with an asr brace and oem sway bar links and oem dbush brackets and it worked fine. Just threw out the whiteline subframe braces. But if I was to do it again, id go for one of the cheaper brands.

Im sure weight is a factor too, the asr is pretty light.

Weight isnt the issue, its the quality, both are of the same material, as in the link above, obx held up fine, but its the quality that was lacking, poor machining....

string
04-06-2011, 09:07 AM
-nuke-

mocchi
05-06-2011, 08:24 AM
http://www.honda-tech.com/showpost.php?p=43195771&postcount=20

So I installed one of these this week (no, not m=on my car) and the hardware was the best part.

As the OP stated the bolt(s) for the LCA are the wrong thread pitch. The kicker is only 1 was threaded, the other was just a rod! Oops, OBX never even looked at the "bolt" before slapping the kit together!

Way to go, OBX. You do the industry proud!

hahah! that's seriously messed up. it maybe half price, but selling half assed product like that really get the bad vibe goin.